[ARM] Nvidia to buy ARM

Re: [ARM] Nvidia to buy ARM

Alan Pearce
 > Sigh. I suppose that's better than Qualcomm.

Or the Chinese, that would kill a lot of products in the phone market ...

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 at 04:53, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.reuters.com/article/us-arm-holdings-m-a-nvidia/nvidia-nears-deal-to-buy-chip-designer-arm-for-more-than-40-billion-sources-say-idUSKBN2630UE
>
> Sigh. I suppose that's better than Qualcomm.

Re: [ARM] Nvidia to buy ARM

Jason White-20
I sincerely hope Nvidia, as a maker of physical chips, doesn't mess up
ARM's business model.

I fear that the even playing field and healthy competition between
independent chip manufacturers will slowly be replaced by a Nvidia-centric
model.

While ARM as an architecture probably isn't going away in the next 50 years
- I have to wonder if this will push vendors towards alternatives: MIPS,
RISC-V, PowerPC, x86, etc.

RISC-V, being an open standard, could be rather interesting as an
alternative. Although, I'm not sure that it makes commercial sense when
ready and proven alternatives like MIPS exist.

-Jason White