About DB9 Female connecte to HCS12

cwl_hf121
Hello,This is my first time to do one carte based on Hcs12 using SCI
module. I have one RS232 cable M/F, one DB9 Female connecte to HCS12.But
I'm not sur which one of connection is right  in the picture.
Picture  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/33762400@N08/5970519284/>
Thanks for all your help.

Re: About DB9 Female connecte to HCS12

Ruben Jönsson
If you want it to be a DCE device (which I guess you do since it is a female
connector) then pin 2 should be TX (out from controller) and pin 3 should be RX
(in to controller). This way you can connect it with a straight cable (or no
cable at all) to a PC, which is a DTE device that has RX (in to PC) on pin 2
and TX (out from PC) on pin 3.

/Ruben

> Hello,This is my first time to do one carte based on Hcs12 using SCI
> module. I have one RS232 cable M/F, one DB9 Female connecte to HCS12.But
> I'm not sur which one of connection is right  in the picture.
> Picture  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/33762400@N08/5970519284/>
> Thanks for all your help.

==============================
Ruben Jönsson
AB Liros Electronic
Box 9124, 200 39 Malmö, Sweden
TEL INT +46 40142078
FAX INT +46 40947388
[hidden email]
==============================

Re: About DB9 Female connecte to HCS12

Andrei Chichak-2
STOP!

You cannot hook your DB9 directly to the processor pins. RS232 usually uses +12/-12V signals. Your processor is 3V or 5V. Connecting it directly to RS232 will destroy the processor.

You need something called an RS232 transceiver chip like the Maxim MAX232.

Look at an example of how to use the MAX232 chip here:

http://www.coolcircuit.com/circuit/rs232_driver/

Andrei

On 2011-July-24, at 9:05 AM, cwl_hf121 wrote:

> Hello,This is my first time to do one carte based on Hcs12 using SCI
> module. I have one RS232 cable M/F, one DB9 Female connecte to HCS12.But
> I'm not sur which one of connection is right in the picture.
> Picture <http://www.flickr.com/photos/33762400@N08/5970519284/>
> Thanks for all your help.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: About DB9 Female connecte to HCS12

cwl_hf121
hello,
Thanks very much, I have done the test, it works.

--- In [hidden email], "Ruben Jönsson" <ruben@...> wrote:

> If you want it to be a DCE device (which I guess you do since it is a female
> connector) then pin 2 should be TX (out from controller) and pin 3 should be RX
> (in to controller). This way you can connect it with a straight cable (or no
> cable at all) to a PC, which is a DTE device that has RX (in to PC) on pin 2
> and TX (out from PC) on pin 3.
>
> /Ruben
>
> > Hello,This is my first time to do one carte based on Hcs12 using SCI
> > module. I have one RS232 cable M/F, one DB9 Female connecte to HCS12.But
> > I'm not sur which one of connection is right  in the picture.
> > Picture  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/33762400@N08/5970519284/>
> > Thanks for all your help.

> ==============================
> Ruben Jönsson
> AB Liros Electronic
> Box 9124, 200 39 Malmö, Sweden
> TEL INT +46 40142078
> FAX INT +46 40947388
> ruben@...

Re: About DB9 Female connecte to HCS12

cwl_hf121
Hello,
In fact, chips12 is a hybride module who is integreted with one transceiver chip.
Thank you all the same.