BUY PIC Coding help needed

Gashmore
I am considering upgrading my DIY engine driven water maker using a PIC mcu in place of the Jerry rigged 555 timers and relays I am using now.  The goal is to cut the number of components and have a base to add features in the future.  I am a retired application programmer and electronics dabbler.  Worked in assembler and C many years ago and still have a PIC programming board, MPLAB and PICkit  but I don't have the time (or remaining brain power) to get back up to speed.    If the code is well commented I can probably debug and fine tune it myself but doing the original code is a bit more than I want to undertake.  This is a one off personal project so there is not a lot of money in it but I am willing to pay a reasonable amount.  My watermaker design was published in a sailing mag and has been copied many times.  (It was even ripped off and sold on eBay.)  If this works as well as I think there may even be a pittance of royalty in it.

I have laid out the flow in outline form and should have it in more detail pseudo code form in the next few days.  Here is a quick overview to give a scale of the project.

The program has six logic inputs:
   Start Button  (Active Low)
   Stop Button  (Active Low)
   Flush Button  (Active Low)
   Engine Running   (Active Low)
   RPM to low    (Active Low)
   RPM to high  (Active High)
And one analog input for System pressure. (Must be >3.25V & <4.5V.)

There are 7 outputs.
   Boost pump relay
   High pressure pump relay
   Flush Solenoid relay
   Backwash Solenoid relay
   Red, Green and Yellow LED status indicators.

There are two user set variables:
   FlushTime
   Backwash Time

There are 6 short procedures:
IDLE  (Wait for a Start, Stop or Flush Button press and branch to associated procedure or simultaneous Start & Stop for more than 3 seconds branch to Configuration mode.)

STARTUP (If engine is running and within RPM range then start the pumps and go to Run Procedure.  If  not blink fault LED, loop to start of procedure 3 times with 15 second delays then return to Idle.)

RUN (Watch Stop button, RPM High/Low, Engine Off and  Pressure.  If any get out of range, turn off pumps, display Fault LEDs until Stop button pressed then return to Idle.)

SHUTDOWN (Turn off HP pump, open Flush Solenoid, Turn on HP pump for FlushTime seconds, turn off HP and boost pump, close Flush Solenoid and go to Backwash)

BACKWASH (Open Backwash solenoid for BackwashTime seconds, turn off Backwash solenoid and return to Idle)

CONFIGURE  (Store FlushTime to the duration of the Stop button press.  Store BackwashTime to the duration of the Flush button press.  Return to Idle after 10 seconds of no activity.)

Re: BUY PIC Coding help needed

99guspuppet

> [...]
> Configuration mode.)
>
> STARTUP (If engine is running and within RPM range then start the pumps and
> go to Run Procedure.  If  not blink fault LED, loop to start of procedure 3
> times with 15 second delays then return to Idle.)
>
> RUN (Watch Stop button, RPM High/Low, Engine Off and  Pressure.  If any get
> out of range, turn off pumps, display Fault LEDs until Stop button pressed
> then return to Idle.)
>
> SHUTDOWN (Turn off HP pump, open Flush Solenoid, Turn on HP pump for
> FlushTime seconds, turn off HP and boost pump, close Flush Solenoid and go
> to Backwash)
>
> BACKWASH (Open Backwash solenoid for BackwashTime seconds, turn off Backwash
> solenoid and return to Idle)
>
> CONFIGURE  (Store FlushTime to the duration of the Stop button press.  Store
> BackwashTime to the duration of the Flush button press.  Return to Idle

Are you determined to use a PIC processor ?   How price sensitive is your product ?  Is ease of development as important as lowest hardware cost ?
If you want to support it yourself, perhaps you might consider a development environment that makes it very easy for you make changes and test your algorithms.
PIC
For the PIC you might consider looking at jalv2 & jallib.   There are inexpensive SBC ( Single Board Computers ) for the PIC.  Such as the Jaluino  ( jaluino.org )

There are some SBC platforms that make coding drag and drop.  I will dig up some info and send it to you.

Best
Gus in Denver

RE: BUY PIC Coding help needed

picram
I am quite impressed with the quality of the 'spec' below. I've seen much
poorer from many of my customers.

-- Bob Ammerman
RAm Systems

> [...]

> Backwash solenoid and return to Idle)
>
> CONFIGURE  (Store FlushTime to the duration of the Stop button press.
> Store BackwashTime to the duration of the Flush button press.  Return
> to Idle after 10 seconds of no activity.)

Are you determined to use a PIC processor ?   How price sensitive is your
product ?  Is ease of development as important as lowest hardware cost ?
If you want to support it yourself, perhaps you might consider a development
environment that makes it very easy for you make changes and test your
algorithms.
PIC
For the PIC you might consider looking at jalv2 & jallib.   There are
inexpensive SBC ( Single Board Computers ) for the PIC.  Such as the Jaluino
( jaluino.org )

There are some SBC platforms that make coding drag and drop.  I will dig up

Gashmore
Thanks, I spent 30 years building business aps for clients who had no idea what they wanted but knew what they didn't want once they saw it.   I learned to be very specific with my proposals.  :)

RE: BUY PIC Coding help needed

Allen Mulvey
When I was doing a lot of programming I found that I had to
deal with three "realities."

1) What they asked for.
2) What they really wanted.
3) What they actually needed.

Allen

at
Jim

RE: BUY PIC Coding help needed

Jim

 I would like to give this a try.  It shouldn't take too long to
complete.

Regards,

Jim

Tamas Rudnai
On 10 September 2013 06:06, Allen Mulvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I was doing a lot of programming I found that I had to
> deal with three "realities."
>
> 1) What they asked for.
> 2) What they really wanted.
> 3) What they actually needed.

4) What they got by the end... :-)

Tamas

> Allen

int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="int main() { char *a,*s,*q;
printf(s=%s%s%s, q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",