Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Nikolas Becker
Hello,

tl;dr: If I run tftpbootnut in u-boot, nothing happens besides seemingly correct setup. What am I doing wrong?

We plan to use the ethernut5-board in an industrial application. For development, we bought one unit from egnite. I try to get started with the Nut/OS development, but fail to start the example projects. I compiled several examples (simple, httpd, httpd_simple) and installed a tftp-sever (tftpd64). I was able to receive the .bin files from another PC in the network, so my server seems ok. I tried to follow the u-boot environment guide for loading nut/OS applications.

What I did in u-boot:
run setfactory
setenv ethaddr 00:06:98:50:00:CA
setenv nut_image_name httpd.bin
run tftpbootnut

U-Boot is responding with:
macb0: PHY present at 0
macb0: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0xcde1)
BOOTP broadcast 1
DHCP client bound to address 172.16.1.87
U-Boot>

And that's all. Shouldn't Nut/OS now post at least something? Of course, in my tftp-server directory, a file named httpd.bin is present. What am I doing wrong? Please help me getting started ...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Sincères Salutations

Best regards

pEMTec SNC
Nikolas Becker
Dipl.- Physiker

Entwicklung

6 rue Jules Verne
BP 60147
57603 Forbach Cedex

Tel.:    +33 (0) 387.13.09.22
E-Mail: [hidden email]

www.pemtec.de<http://www.pemtec.de/>
www.pemtec.fr<http://www.pemtec.fr/>
Geschäftsführer/Gérance:
Dipl.-Ing. Hans Wacht
SNC au capital de 10 000 000 euros
RCS Sarreguemines B 450 696 752
Code APE 2841 Z

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Uwe Bonnes

    Nikolas> And that's all. Shouldn't Nut/OS now post at least something?
    Nikolas> Of course, in my tftp-server directory, a file named httpd.bin
    Nikolas> is present. What am I doing wrong? Please help me getting
    Nikolas> started ...

Doesn't the Ethenut5 have a Uart monitor? Did you watch for output there?

Otherwise, what was your setup, as of  Ethernut, compiler and tool
version?

Did you try simple examples?

Bye

--
Uwe Bonnes                [hidden email]

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Nikolas Becker
Hello Uwe,

thanks for the quick reply! I don't really know what you mean by UART monitor. I use the UART console, that's how I command U-Boot. The output posted in my previous mail is from this UART console. I tried three examples, even the simple ones.  But I don't get that far that this would make a difference, basically nothing happens after running tftpbootnut. I'll add a dump of the console log at the end of this mail. I'm sure my error is dead simple, I just can't find any guide on how to run Nut/OS applications besides the one I'm using, and I don't get it from there.
My setup:
Hardware:
Ethernut 5, preprogrammed by egnite
Lan connection to our internal LAN
Console connection via null modem cable to RS232-to-USB-Bridge
Mini-USB connected to PC for Power-Supply

Samboot 1.4
U-Boot 2011.12
Latest stable Nut/OS version 5.1.0-1
Compiling with GNU Tools Arm Embedded 7 2018-q2
TFTP via TFTPD64 v4.62

Best regards,
    Nikolas

SAMBOOT 1.4 :  Type=3 Loading 0x42000 to 0x27000000  done
OK

U-Boot 2011.12 (Mar 28 2012 - 10:09:42)

CPU: AT91SAM9XE
Crystal frequency:   18.432 MHz
CPU clock        :  180.634 MHz
Master clock     :   90.317 MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  128 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
Flash: 512 KiB
NAND:  1024 MiB
MMC:   mci: 0
DataFlash:AT45DB321
Nb pages:   8192
Page Size:    528
Size= 4325376 bytes
Logical address: 0xC0000000
Area 0: C0021000 to C0041FFF (RO) setup
Area 1: C0042000 to C00C5FFF (RO) uboot
Area 2: C00C6000 to C0359FFF (RO) kernel
Area 3: C035A000 to C03DDFFF (RO) nutos
Area 4: C03DE000 to C03FEFFF      env
SF: Detected AT45DB321D with page size 528 Bytes, total 16.5 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   macb0: PHY present at 0
macb0: Starting autonegotiation...
macb0: Autonegotiation complete
macb0: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0xcde1)
macb0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3  0
U-Boot> run setfactory
## Executing script at 20000000
## Resetting to default environment
Enter MAC address and then execute 'saveenv' to store the new environment.
Please enter 'ethaddr':
U-Boot> setenv ethaddr 00:06:98:50:00:CA
U-Boot>
U-Boot> setenv nut_image_name httpd.bin
U-Boot>
U-Boot> run tftpbootnut
macb0: PHY present at 0
macb0: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0xcde1)
BOOTP broadcast 1
DHCP client bound to address 172.16.1.87
U-Boot>

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Tim Schendekehl
Hello Nikolas,

U-Boot needs to know the IP address of the tftp server. You can set it using the following commands:

setenv tftpserverip 192.168.0.1
saveenv

Replace the IP address with the one of your server. After that try to boot the application again with:

run tftpbootnut

Best regards,
Tim Schendekehl

Am 23.07.2018 um 14:30 schrieb Nikolas Becker:

> Hello,
>
> tl;dr: If I run tftpbootnut in u-boot, nothing happens besides seemingly correct setup. What am I doing wrong?
>
> We plan to use the ethernut5-board in an industrial application. For development, we bought one unit from egnite. I try to get started with the Nut/OS development, but fail to start the example projects. I compiled several examples (simple, httpd, httpd_simple) and installed a tftp-sever (tftpd64). I was able to receive the .bin files from another PC in the network, so my server seems ok. I tried to follow the u-boot environment guide for loading nut/OS applications.
>
> What I did in u-boot:
> run setfactory
> setenv ethaddr 00:06:98:50:00:CA
> setenv nut_image_name httpd.bin
> run tftpbootnut
>
> U-Boot is responding with:
> macb0: PHY present at 0
> macb0: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0xcde1)
> BOOTP broadcast 1
> DHCP client bound to address 172.16.1.87
> U-Boot>
>
> And that's all. Shouldn't Nut/OS now post at least something? Of course, in my tftp-server directory, a file named httpd.bin is present. What am I doing wrong? Please help me getting started ...
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Sincères Salutations
>
> Best regards
>
> pEMTec SNC
> Nikolas Becker
> Dipl.- Physiker
>
> Entwicklung
>
> 6 rue Jules Verne
> BP 60147
> 57603 Forbach Cedex
>
> Tel.:    +33 (0) 387.13.09.22
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
>
> www.pemtec.de<http://www.pemtec.de/>
> www.pemtec.fr<http://www.pemtec.fr/>
> Geschäftsführer/Gérance:
> Dipl.-Ing. Hans Wacht
> SNC au capital de 10 000 000 euros
> RCS Sarreguemines B 450 696 752
> Code APE 2841 Z

egnite GmbH
Erinstrasse 18
44575 Castrop-Rauxel
Germany

Fon: +49 (0) 23 05 / 44 12 56
Fax: +49 (0) 23 05 / 44 14 87

Email: [hidden email]

Internet: www.egnite.de  www.ethernut.de

Amtsgericht Dortmund HRB 19783
Geschäftsführung: Harald Kipp

USt-IdNr.: DE 189520047

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Nikolas Becker
Hello Tim,

I'm sorry, while writing my mail, I totally forgot that ip-adress line. I tried it with it, it made no difference. I've added another log at the end of this mail, where I execute the correct commands. As you can see, it made no difference, unfortunately.

[...]

U-Boot> setenv tftpserverip 172.16.1.105
U-Boot>
U-Boot> setenv nut_image_name httpserv.bin
U-Boot>
U-Boot> saveenv
Saving Environment to SPI Flash...
SF: Detected AT45DB321D with page size 528 Bytes, total 16.5 MiB
Erasing SPI flash...Writing to SPI flash...done
U-Boot>
U-Boot> run tftpbootnut
macb0: PHY present at 0
macb0: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0xcde1)
BOOTP broadcast 1
DHCP client bound to address 172.16.1.87
U-Boot>

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Nikolas Becker
Hello,

I just wanted to add a (quick and dirty) screenshot of my Tftpd64-settings (see attachment). As earlier mentioned, I was able to download one of the files from another PC, so it is basically working.

[...]

SF: Detected AT45DB321D with page size 528 Bytes, total 16.5 MiB Erasing SPI flash...Writing to SPI flash...done
U-Boot>
U-Boot> run tftpbootnut
macb0: PHY present at 0
macb0: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0xcde1) BOOTP broadcast 1 DHCP client bound to address 172.16.1.87
U-Boot>

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

Nikolas Becker
Hello,

just to make sure that the error is not with my applications, here is a compiler log (see attached image).

> [...]

> BP 60147
> 57603 Forbach Cedex
>
> Tel.:    +33 (0) 387.13.09.22
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
>
> www.pemtec.de<http://www.pemtec.de/>
> www.pemtec.fr<http://www.pemtec.fr/>
> Geschäftsführer/Gérance:
> Dipl.-Ing. Hans Wacht
> SNC au capital de 10 000 000 euros
> RCS Sarreguemines B 450 696 752
> Code APE 2841 Z

egnite GmbH
Erinstrasse 18
44575 Castrop-Rauxel
Germany

Fon: +49 (0) 23 05 / 44 12 56
Fax: +49 (0) 23 05 / 44 14 87

Email: [hidden email]

Internet: www.egnite.de  www.ethernut.de

Amtsgericht Dortmund HRB 19783
Geschäftsführung: Harald Kipp

USt-IdNr.: DE 189520047

Re: Basic loading of nut/OS applications via TFTP

as an alternative you could try the following commands in U-Boot:

dhcp
tftpboot 0x20000000 172.16.1.105:httpserv.bin
go 0x20000000

The first command initializes the network. The second command loads the image and the third runs it.

Best regards,
Tim Schendekehl