Quantcast

Bray Terminal

Brent Brown
I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with no joy. Anyone
know what happened to this guy and his program?

http://bray.velenje.cx/
http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal

Was (is) a really useful Terminal program. Has been reccomended here and many
other places many times. Most recent version I have is v1.9b 20041226.

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,

Re: Bray Terminal

David VanHorn-2
On 5/1/07, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with no joy. Anyone
> know what happened to this guy and his program?

Not sure, I can email you a copy.

Re: Bray Terminal

Brent Brown
On 1 May 2007 at 22:07, David VanHorn wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with
> > no joy. Anyone know what happened to this guy and his program?
>
> Not sure, I can email you a copy.

Cheers, much appreciated. Still a shame if he's fallen off the planet though.

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,
Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
Ph: +64 7 849 0069
Fax: +64 7 849 0071
Cell: 027 433 4069
eMail:  [hidden email]

Re: Bray Terminal

Dave Lag
Brent Brown wrote:

> On 1 May 2007 at 22:07, David VanHorn wrote:
>
>>On 5/1/07, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with
>>>no joy. Anyone know what happened to this guy and his program?
>>
>>Not sure, I can email you a copy.
>

> Cheers, much appreciated. Still a shame if he's fallen off the planet though.

Curious if google would find a copy via the original file name, often
that works well. ( course if you don't have it- you don't know the
original filename :(

Re: Bray Terminal

Xiaofan Chen
On 5/2/07, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with no joy. Anyone
> know what happened to this guy and his program?
>
> http://bray.velenje.cx/
> http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal
>
> Was (is) a really useful Terminal program. Has been reccomended here and many
> other places many times. Most recent version I have is v1.9b 20041226.

You can download it from other website as well.
http://www.microchipc.com/make_a_solderless_RS232_crossover_cable/
http://www.smileymicros.com/

It is also included in the big WinARM package
(C:\WinARM\utils\bin\terminal.exe).

Regards,
Xiaofan

Re: Bray Terminal

Brent Brown
On 2 May 2007 at 11:47, Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> On 5/2/07, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with
> > no joy. Anyone know what happened to this guy and his program?
> >
> > http://bray.velenje.cx/
> > http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal
> >
> > Was (is) a really useful Terminal program. Has been reccomended here
> > and many other places many times. Most recent version I have is
> > v1.9b 20041226.
> >

> You can download it from other website as well.
> http://www.microchipc.com/make_a_solderless_RS232_crossover_cable/
> http://www.smileymicros.com/
>
> It is also included in the big WinARM package
> (C:\WinARM\utils\bin\terminal.exe).

Thanks. Each of these versions is older than what I have (but didn't try the 95MB
WinARM download). I don't desperately require a new version, so no worries.
Would like to have seen this program continued to be developed though as it really
is quite nice to use and works better than most other terminal programs.

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,
Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
Ph: +64 7 849 0069
Fax: +64 7 849 0071
Cell: 027 433 4069
eMail:  [hidden email]

Re: Bray Terminal

soliton
On 5/2/07, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It is also included in the big WinARM package
> > (C:\WinARM\utils\bin\terminal.exe).
>
> Thanks. Each of these versions is older than what I have (but didn't try
> the 95MB
> WinARM download). I don't desperately require a new version, so no
> worries.
> Would like to have seen this program continued to be developed though as
> it really
> is quite nice to use and works better than most other terminal programs.
>
> In my Winarm installation as of Jun 2006, the terminal version is v1.9b20041226
the same as yours.

--
soliton

Re: Bray Terminal

Victor Fraenckel
I have version 1.9B installed. If this helps, I will gladly send it upon
request.

Vic
--

*____________________________________________________________________________________________*

*Victor Fraenckel
KC2GUI
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com**

*

Re: Bray Terminal

bray
Hello

No, i did not fall off the planet. ;)

Here is a new terminal's home

http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal

best regards, B

Brent Brown wrote
On 1 May 2007 at 22:07, David VanHorn wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Brent Brown <brent.brown@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> > I've been trying the links below for at least a few months now with
> > no joy. Anyone know what happened to this guy and his program?
>
> Not sure, I can email you a copy.

Cheers, much appreciated. Still a shame if he's fallen off the planet though.

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,
Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
Ph: +64 7 849 0069
Fax: +64 7 849 0071
Cell: 027 433 4069
eMail:  brent.brown@clear.net.nz

Re: Bray Terminal

enkitec

        Bray,

        I have noted that F12 doesn't clear the RX buffer anymore. Even the
help box says it would do so.

        BTW, I sent you a small donation via your page. Your "Terminal" is a
very useful program!

        Thanks.
        Marcelo

On 1 Mar 2008 at 2:06, bray wrote:

> Hello
>
> No, i did not fall off the planet. ;)
>
> Here is a new terminal's home
>
> http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal
>
> best regards, B
>

> Brent Brown wrote:

> >> Not sure, I can email you a copy.
> >
> > Cheers, much appreciated. Still a shame if he's fallen off the planet
> > though.
> >
> > --
> > Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
> > 16 English Street, St Andrews,
> > Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
> > Ph: +64 7 849 0069
> > Fax: +64 7 849 0071
> > Cell: 027 433 4069
> > eMail:  [hidden email]

Re: Bray Terminal

bray
enkitec wrote
        I have noted that F12 doesn't clear the RX buffer anymore. Even the
help box says it would do so.

        BTW, I sent you a small donation via your page. Your "Terminal" is a
very useful program!
Thanks for warning. New hotkey for "Rx Clear" is ESC. I'll fix this bug in next release.
Many thanks for donation!

Re: Bray Terminal

Harold Hallikainen-2

> Hello
>
> No, i did not fall off the planet. ;)
>
> Here is a new terminal's home
>
> http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal
>
> best regards, B

Glad you are still on the planet! I use your terminal program almost
daily! A donation will go out today.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising
opportunities available!

Re: Bray Terminal

Brent Brown

> >> Not sure, I can email you a copy.
> >
> > Cheers, much appreciated. Still a shame if he's fallen off the planet
> > though.
> Hello
>
> No, i did not fall off the planet. ;)
>
> Here is a new terminal's home
>
> http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal
>
> best regards, B

Great news, good to hear from you! I use Terminal nearly every day. I will try and
make a donation by paypal soon.

The latest version 20080315 tells me "Remote Server Error Port 10001 is in use."
each time I start the program. Can you tell us how the Remote Server function
works? It's not listed in quick help.

Keep up the good work!

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,
Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
Ph: +64 7 849 0069
Fax: +64 7 849 0071
Cell: +64 27 433 4069
eMail:  [hidden email]

Re: Bray Terminal

Richard Prosser
Brent.

I stand to be corrected on this - especially if the author of this
magnificent program is still around but:-

The remote server function is a (recent ?) addition that opens a port
on the host PC so that a remote computer can read the input data by
e.g. telnet.

And it just works.

The actual port can be changed by using the "Remote" button in the
"Settings" area but (in my case anyway) the default is port 23. (In
your case 10001 ?) It's a very useful function if you're trying to do
basic remote monitoring.

If you open a second instance of Terminal or if the port is already
open then you get the error message. But the program still runs OK.

I'm not sure if you can run different instances of the program and
output data on different TCP/IP ports but I suspect you can.
Richard P

On 19/03/2008, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Cheers, much appreciated. Still a shame if he's fallen off the planet
> > > though.
> > Hello
> >
> > No, i did not fall off the planet. ;)
> >
> > Here is a new terminal's home
> >
> > http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal
> >
> > best regards, B
>
> Great news, good to hear from you! I use Terminal nearly every day. I will try and
> make a donation by paypal soon.
>
> The latest version 20080315 tells me "Remote Server Error Port 10001 is in use."
> each time I start the program. Can you tell us how the Remote Server function
> works? It's not listed in quick help.
>
> Keep up the good work!
>
> --
> Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
> 16 English Street, St Andrews,
> Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
> Ph: +64 7 849 0069
> Fax: +64 7 849 0071
> Cell: +64 27 433 4069
> eMail:  [hidden email]

Re: Bray Terminal

Brent Brown
Aaahh, I see now!

I have the Terminal programming running on my desktop PC communicating with a
PIC project on physical port COM1. I can now establish a Telnet session from any
other PC on my network to my desktop PC using hostname(or IP address):port
number. eg. 192.168.1.5:23

Serial data received into COM1 is displayed locally in the Terminal window and
remotely in the Telnet window. Characters entered in the remote Telnet window are
sent out local COM1. Cool! Pressing the Remote button in Terminal brings up a
window where characters can be sent to/from the remote Telnet App. I'm using
PuTTYtel at present.

Got it working on port 23, not sure why it complained about port 10001 which often I
use for Lantronix X-Port devices but currently shouldn't be assigned to anything.

Now I know how it works I might use it someday. Wondering how to turn this feature
off though, if I needed to. It seems to just be enabled all the time. Perhaps setting
port number to 0?

Another very cool piece of software is HW Group Virtual Serial Port...
http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

Lets you create on a virtual COM port which directs to any hostname/IP address :
port number you specify.

Thanks Richard!

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,
Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
Ph: +64 7 849 0069
Fax: +64 7 849 0071
Cell: +64 27 433 4069
eMail:  [hidden email]

Re: Bray Terminal

bray
Brent Brown wrote
Great news, good to hear from you! I use Terminal nearly every day. I will try and
make a donation by paypal soon.

The latest version 20080315 tells me "Remote Server Error Port 10001 is in use."
each time I start the program. Can you tell us how the Remote Server function
works? It's not listed in quick help.

Keep up the good work!
Hello Brent

This remote feature is in very experimental phase.
This is copy&paste from another forum where we already discuss about that...
Port 10001 is probably default port before i set it to 23. You can see if you click Remote button.
Could you please tell me which version of Windows you are using?

***
This is because terminal is trying to "listen" on port 23 (telnet port). This is a feature that was added in v20040728 for TCP/IP remote control. It works but it's still some kind of experimental thing.
Let me explain how this works and maybe be useful.
For example...if you have two PCs on your local network and only one have COM port you can connect your com device to this PC and run terminal on it and then remotely connect to this PC from another. All you have to do is to open command prompt and telnet to PC with COM port (telnet 192.168.x.x). Now you can communicate with terminal via ethernet. All you type is transfered into Tx window and all from Rx window will be displayed.
I hope this will help.
***

best regards, B.