CHEAP XY Scope?

Harold Hallikainen-3
I'm seeing some single board oscilloscopes in the $20 range. I'm looking
for something like that can do an XY display instead of voltage versus
time. Is anyone aware of one?

Thanks!

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.

Re: CHEAP XY Scope?

Josh Koffman
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Harold Hallikainen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm seeing some single board oscilloscopes in the $20 range. I'm looking
> for something like that can do an XY display instead of voltage versus
> time. Is anyone aware of one?

Hi Harold,

I haven't seen one that does, but I also haven't been directly
looking. Could you modify one of the existing ones? I think some of
them are open source. Might be more of a commitment then you were
hoping for though!

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

[EE] Re: CHEAP XY Scope?

Harold Hallikainen-3

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Harold Hallikainen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm seeing some single board oscilloscopes in the $20 range. I'm looking
>> for something like that can do an XY display instead of voltage versus
>> time. Is anyone aware of one?
>
> Hi Harold,
>
> I haven't seen one that does, but I also haven't been directly
> looking. Could you modify one of the existing ones? I think some of
> them are open source. Might be more of a commitment then you were
> hoping for though!
>
> Josh

The one's I've seen only have a single analog input, so modification could
b somewhat major. I'm looking for something to use as a tuning indicator
on my radioteletype station (https://w6iwi.org/rtty/ ).

Thanks!

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.

Re: [EE] Re: CHEAP XY Scope?

Josh Koffman
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 5:40 PM Harold Hallikainen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The one's I've seen only have a single analog input, so modification could
> b somewhat major. I'm looking for something to use as a tuning indicator
> on my radioteletype station (https://w6iwi.org/rtty/ ).

Oh that ITTY looks very fun!

Well, definitely pricier, but there are a few options with more than
one channel:

https://www.amazon.com/Cheffort-Pocket-Sized-Oscilloscope-Maintenance-Engineering/dp/B07TNPYLS5/
https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Handheld-Pocket-Sized-Oscilloscope-Channels/dp/B07JQ3HRMX/

At this price point though I feel like it might just be easier to
start from scratch with a fast microcontroller and a display, no?

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: [EE] Re: CHEAP XY Scope?

Harold Hallikainen-3

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 5:40 PM Harold Hallikainen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The one's I've seen only have a single analog input, so modification
>> could
>> b somewhat major. I'm looking for something to use as a tuning indicator
>> on my radioteletype station (https://w6iwi.org/rtty/ ).
>
> Oh that ITTY looks very fun!
>
> Well, definitely pricier, but there are a few options with more than
> one channel:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Cheffort-Pocket-Sized-Oscilloscope-Maintenance-Engineering/dp/B07TNPYLS5/

That's pretty cute! Reviewing the manual, it IS dual trace, but not XY. I
might be able to use it anyway. I'll try my bench scope in dual trace mode
and see how easy that works as a tuning indicator for RTTY.

Again, Thanks!

Harold

> https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Handheld-Pocket-Sized-Oscilloscope-Channels/dp/B07JQ3HRMX/
>
> At this price point though I feel like it might just be easier to
> start from scratch with a fast microcontroller and a display, no?
>
> Josh
> --
> A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
> completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
> fools.
>         -Douglas Adams

FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.

Re: CHEAP XY Scope?

Don Kuenz

Harold Hallikainen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm seeing some single board oscilloscopes in the $20 range. I'm looking
> for something like that can do an XY display instead of voltage versus
> time. Is anyone aware of one?

Although this 2-channel oscilloscope can display X-Y it costs $79.00 as
a kit and $93.00 assembled:

https://accudiy.com/collections/kits-oscilloscope/products/wave2-2-channel-oscilloscope

JYETech kits typically involve soldering through hole components.

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Re: CHEAP XY Scope?

Harold Hallikainen-3
Thanks!