COLDFIRE RAM RECONFIGURATION

aleautron
       From: Alessandro Guerra <[hidden email]>
         To: [hidden email]
    Subject: PROBLEM WITH RAM RECONFIGURATION

Hi,

I have have a COBRA5329 board mounting Coldfire MCF5329, with dBug
and uClinux.
On the board there were 16 MB of ram, but I ordered
to mount 32 MB to write a better application.
dBug is configured to see 16MB of ram and I cannot recompile it.
The only way I have to see the total 32MB ram is to reconfigure
the sdram controller on uClinux, beacuse at the moment uClinux
sees only 16MB (the dBug configuration).
I tried to simply rewrite the various registers, but it doesn't
work.
Does anyone know how to reconfigure the sdram controller at run
time?

Thank you very much.
Alessandro

--
Alessandro Guerra
Autron srl

PRIVACY
Ai sensi della D.Lgs. 196/03 si precisa che le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora il messaggio in parola Le fosse pervenuto per errore, la preghiamo di eliminarlo senza copiarlo e di non inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente comunicazione. Grazie.

DISCLAIMER
This message, for the law 196/03, may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

---
[hidden email]              Send a post to the list.
[hidden email]        Join the list.
[hidden email]    Join the list in digest mode.
[hidden email]     Leave the list.

Re: COLDFIRE RAM RECONFIGURATION

Allon Stern

On Apr 16, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Alessandro Guerra wrote:

> I have have a COBRA5329 board mounting Coldfire MCF5329, with dBug
> and uClinux.
> On the board there were 16 MB of ram, but I ordered
> to mount 32 MB to write a better application.
> dBug is configured to see 16MB of ram and I cannot recompile it.
> The only way I have to see the total 32MB ram is to reconfigure
> the sdram controller on uClinux, beacuse at the moment uClinux
> sees only 16MB (the dBug configuration).
> I tried to simply rewrite the various registers, but it doesn't
> work.
> Does anyone know how to reconfigure the sdram controller at run
> time?

Not sure if this is possible. The reason SDRAM configuration is done while running in the boot loader is that the code is not running out of SDRAM at the time. If you're reconfiguring SDRAM at runtime, then you're likely pulling the rug out from under the CPU. If you really must reconfigure at runtime, you'd probably have to have the code copy to SRAM, run out of SRAM, then jump back to SDRAM, but even that requires intimate knowledge of the memory layout in the kernel, etc. And if you throw an MMU into the mix, it's even more complicated.

I'd recommend recompiling dBug, or changing to another boot loader, such as u-boot. I like u-boot.

-
allon

Disclaimer
The information contained in this email is intended solely for the
use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain
proprietary, privileged or other sensitive data. If you believe you
have received this email in error, please do not share this email
with anyone but instead notify the sender immediately. In addition,
please delete this email and any attachments from your computer.

---
[hidden email]     Leave the list.

Re: COLDFIRE RAM RECONFIGURATION

Allon Stern

On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Alessandro Guerra wrote:

I totally agree with you...
Now I have to get the Metrowerks compiler and the firmware download
interface.
I'm sure that this is much easier than trying to do such operations.

Thanks for your advice.
Alessandro

Using metrowerks, you'll find some initialization code that the debugger uses in its firmware download; this code initializes the SDRAM (among other things). You can  tweak that code to get your larger SDRAM to work, then use that as a basis for getting the SDRAM initialization to work in your recompiled boot loader.

There is nothing more painful or tricky than SDRAM initialization when bringing up new hardware.
-
allon