Cheap microscopes

David C Brown
Has anyone any experience of these microscopes?
https://tinyurl.com/y4banv36
They seen too cheap to be true
And I am sure that someone will have other recommendations.
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: Cheap microscopes

Jason White-20
My workplace has one (don't know witch), it is satisfactory. Might be
nice to be able to save the image is USB or something - but otherwise
no complaints about optics, image quality, or build.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 12:28 PM David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of these microscopes?
> https://tinyurl.com/y4banv36
> They seen too cheap to be true
> And I am sure that someone will have other recommendations.
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: Cheap microscopes

John Lawton
I have one from Mustool, I'm not sure what model it is.
I find it gives a good image and is useful for inspecting boards,
although I suspect a binocular microscope would be superior.

John

On 28/11/2020 17:27, David C Brown wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of these microscopes?
> https://tinyurl.com/y4banv36
> They seen too cheap to be true
> And I am sure that someone will have other recommendations.
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: Cheap microscopes

Josh Koffman
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 12:28 PM David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of these microscopes?
> https://tinyurl.com/y4banv36
> They seen too cheap to be true
> And I am sure that someone will have other recommendations.

I have a Mustool G1200. As others have suggested, they work well for
what they are, though a proper optical binocular scope would I am
certain be way better. My variant has the ability to save photos or
video to microSD. It also has a rechargeable battery. There seems to
be a bunch of different variants, so just be aware of that when
comparing prices.

One thing I still plan to add to mine are some small gooseneck mounted
side lights. I find the ring light can do an excellent job of washing
out any markings on an IC, but if you hit it with light from the side
it appears just fine. I have a few Ikea Jansjo USB gooseneck lights
that I plan to use for this. Just haven't had the time to build
it...yet!

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: Cheap microscopes

David C Brown
Thank y'all.
I think Santa will be getting a letter tomorrow

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 at 18:44, Josh Koffman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 12:28 PM David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone any experience of these microscopes?
> > https://tinyurl.com/y4banv36
> > They seen too cheap to be true
> > And I am sure that someone will have other recommendations.
>
> I have a Mustool G1200. As others have suggested, they work well for
> what they are, though a proper optical binocular scope would I am
> certain be way better. My variant has the ability to save photos or
> video to microSD. It also has a rechargeable battery. There seems to
> be a bunch of different variants, so just be aware of that when
> comparing prices.
>
> One thing I still plan to add to mine are some small gooseneck mounted
> side lights. I find the ring light can do an excellent job of washing
> out any markings on an IC, but if you hit it with light from the side
> it appears just fine. I have a few Ikea Jansjo USB gooseneck lights
> that I plan to use for this. Just haven't had the time to build
> it...yet!
>
> Josh
> --
> A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
> completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
> fools.
>         -Douglas Adams

Re: Cheap microscopes

Topic tag, please.

Thanks, Bob

Re: [OT] Cheap microscopes

James Cameron-2
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 01:43:08PM -0500, Josh Koffman wrote:
> I find the ring light can do an excellent job of washing out any
> markings on an IC, but if you hit it with light from the side it
> appears just fine.

I've also found choosing the colour of the light from the side can
make a big difference.  I keep a few red, green and blue LEDs handy
with a CR2032 for this purpose.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [OT] Cheap microscopes

David C Brown
Sorry.  Can I add a tag?

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 08:36, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 01:43:08PM -0500, Josh Koffman wrote:
> > I find the ring light can do an excellent job of washing out any
> > markings on an IC, but if you hit it with light from the side it
> > appears just fine.
>
> I've also found choosing the colour of the light from the side can
> make a big difference.  I keep a few red, green and blue LEDs handy
> with a CR2032 for this purpose.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [OT] Cheap microscopes

John Lawton
Thanks James, different colour LEDs are a good tip.

John

On 29/11/2020 09:35, David C Brown wrote:

> Sorry.  Can I add a tag?
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 08:36, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 01:43:08PM -0500, Josh Koffman wrote:
>>> I find the ring light can do an excellent job of washing out any
>>> markings on an IC, but if you hit it with light from the side it
>>> appears just fine.
>> I've also found choosing the colour of the light from the side can
>> make a big difference.  I keep a few red, green and blue LEDs handy
>> with a CR2032 for this purpose.
>>
>> --
>> James Cameron
>> http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [OT] Cheap microscopes

James Cameron-2
I've not had to do it yet, but on my list to try is UV and IR leds.

Microscopes with CCDs and very few lenses in front of them may not
have effective UV and IR filtering, because it isn't needed in the
application.

The bayer mosaic integrated into the CCD is an optical band-pass
filter, with frequencies chosen for human eyesight peaks.  The red and
blue filters don't necessarily need to constrain themselves at the IR
and UV end of the spectrum.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/