[EE] CMOS LED "Chip Interconnect"

Jason White-20
I saw this article [1] on Hackaday. LEDs on standard silicon dies using a
"cmos" process. Perhaps one day we will have optoelectronic processor built
using this process?

[1] https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/first-cmos-led-chip-interconnect#

Re: [EE] CMOS LED "Chip Interconnect"

Manu Abraham-2
You meant something like co-packaged optics (on chip laser) ?

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-demonstrates-industry-first-co-packaged-optics-ethernet-switch/
https://www.lightwaveonline.com/optical-tech/components/article/14169514/intel-demos-tofino-2-ethernet-switch-with-copackaged-optics
https://www.servethehome.com/hands-on-with-the-intel-co-packaged-optics-and-silicon-photonics-switch/

Regards,
Manu

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 2:11 AM Jason White
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I saw this article [1] on Hackaday. LEDs on standard silicon dies using a
> "cmos" process. Perhaps one day we will have optoelectronic processor built
> using this process?
>
> [1] https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/first-cmos-led-chip-interconnect#
>

> --
> Jason White

Re: [EE] CMOS LED "Chip Interconnect"

Jason White-20
Kinda, I meant communications between different areas on the same die using
light - with all the memory, logic gates, clocking, etc also on the same
silicon die as the LEDs and photodiodes. What you linked to seems to be a
bit different in purpose and implementation - but maybe I have overlooked
something?

The article I linked to claims this to be the 'first demonstration' of said
thing. But, I am no expert.