[EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Carlos Marcano
Hi, list.

I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.

I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.

It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
columns, one at the top and one at the button.

 These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
"Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
32 Bits PC.

I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
could point me in a good direction.

Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
about it.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Carlos.

keyboard-layout.jpg (90K) Download Attachment

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Richard
Hi Marco,

A quick search for "custom keyboard interface to pc usb" turned up
several interesting results. I hope at least one will help you.

Richard

On 6/24/2020 4:36 PM, Carlos Marcano wrote:

> Hi, list.
>
> I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.
>
> I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
> arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.
>
> It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
> 1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
> the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
> columns, one at the top and one at the button.
>
>   These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
> press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
> "Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
> be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
> that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
> 32 Bits PC.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
> interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
> could point me in a good direction.
>
> Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
> type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
> about it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos.

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Carlos Marcano
Thanks, Richard.

Yes, I'm aware and reading most of them, I just have had the tendency to
trust more in the collective wisdom of the list for the past 15 years than
a lot of other sources, so that's why I did the enquire here :)

Best regards,

Carlos.

El mié., 24 jun. 2020 3:12 p. m., Richard <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi Marco,
>
> A quick search for "custom keyboard interface to pc usb" turned up
> several interesting results. I hope at least one will help you.
>
> Richard
>

> On 6/24/2020 4:36 PM, Carlos Marcano wrote:
> > Hi, list.
> >
> > I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.
> >
> > I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
> > arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.
> >
> > It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
> > 1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
> > the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
> > columns, one at the top and one at the button.
> >
> >   These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
> > press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
> > "Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
> > be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
> > that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
> > 32 Bits PC.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
> > interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
> > could point me in a good direction.
> >
> > Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
> > type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
> > about it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Carlos.

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Nicola Perotto
Hi Carlos,
some year ago I used the Microchip provided framework (was
microchip-libraries-for-applications)
with a 18f2455 to do something like this.
There was a complete example (in C), only needed to change some settings.
Regards
    Nicola

--

Nicola Perotto - NP Engineering
Sistemi Informatici ed Elettronici

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Denny Esterline-2
If this is a one off, I'd point you to QMK. I've not used it personally,
but I see lots of custom keyboards built around it.
Looks like there's quite a few hardware options including several <$10
boards.
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/docs/compatible_microcontrollers.md

https://hackaday.com/2020/05/05/the-abcs-of-adding-qmk-to-a-wasd-keyboard/

-Denny

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:42 PM Carlos Marcano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, list.
>
> I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.
>
> I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
> arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.
>
> It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
> 1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
> the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
> columns, one at the top and one at the button.
>
>  These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
> press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
> "Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
> be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
> that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
> 32 Bits PC.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
> interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
> could point me in a good direction.
>
> Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
> type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
> about it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos.

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Forrest Christian (List Account)
There is a whole industry built around building homemade arcade cabinets
and then using a standard PC with an arcade emulator to play various games.

Because the interface to this is typically exactly what you describe,
Physical buttons emulating a keyboard press, there are a lot of projects
and products out there which do exactly what you are looking for.   For
example, I'm aware of the products from ultimarc (see
https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/ ) such as the I-PAC.  Ultimarc
also has buttons, etc..   I'm sure there are a couple others but I can't
find them right now...

A google search for "building your own arcade cabinet" will likely yield a
lot of different results.

Now, if you want to do it the more homemade approach, most manufacturers of
microcontrollers have keyboard emulation code available as part of their
standard library.   Generally any USB microcontroller will do the trick.
 In addition certain arduinos actually use the onboard USB so you can use
arduino hardware with a microcontroller programmer to do so.

I don't know your skillset or what you have in your existing toolbox to
point you in the right direction.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM Carlos Marcano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, list.
>
> I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.
>
> I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
> arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.
>
> It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
> 1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
> the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
> columns, one at the top and one at the button.
>
>  These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
> press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
> "Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
> be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
> that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
> 32 Bits PC.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
> interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
> could point me in a good direction.
>
> Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
> type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
> about it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos.

- Forrest

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Neil
You could go the microcontroller with USB route, but if this is a
one-off or low-volume device, don't underestimate the simplicity of
hacking the electronics out of an existing keyboard and wiring the
switches as you need.
There are Windows key mapping programs that will let you convert any
received keystroke to anything else.

Cheers,
-Neil.

On 6/24/2020 4:36 PM, Carlos Marcano wrote:

> Hi, list.
>
> I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.
>
> I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
> arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.
>
> It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
> 1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
> the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
> columns, one at the top and one at the button.
>
>   These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
> press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
> "Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
> be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
> that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
> 32 Bits PC.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
> interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
> could point me in a good direction.
>
> Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
> type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
> about it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos.

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Carlos Marcano
Thanks a lot for your help, guys! I am going to check everything out.

Regards,

Carlos.

El mié., 24 jun. 2020 a las 16:46, Neil (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> You could go the microcontroller with USB route, but if this is a
> one-off or low-volume device, don't underestimate the simplicity of
> hacking the electronics out of an existing keyboard and wiring the
> switches as you need.
> There are Windows key mapping programs that will let you convert any
> received keystroke to anything else.
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.
>

> On 6/24/2020 4:36 PM, Carlos Marcano wrote:
> > Hi, list.
> >
> > I hope you guys are doing great, even in these strange times.
> >
> > I am starting a little project where I need to build a custom keyboard
> > arrangement, with a size of 17" inches long and 2 1/2" inches wide.
> >
> > It will have keys with numbers from, zero to 12, a key that would say
> > 1-6, another one 7-12, another key RED, another would say BLACK and
> > the last key that will say CLEAN, all of them distributed with 2
> > columns, one at the top and one at the button.
> >
> >   These keys will simulate regular computer keys like for example, if I
> > press 1 in the custom keyboard it would be like pressing the letter
> > "Q" in a regular keyboard, pressing 2 in the custom keyboard it would
> > be like pressing the letter "W" in a regular keyboard and others like
> > that, with a custom mapping. It will connect via USB to a Windows XP
> > 32 Bits PC.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has experience in this regard as I have not
> > interfaced with these types of keyboards to a PC before so if you
> > could point me in a good direction.
> >
> > Also, if anyone has a place where you buy switches and cases for this
> > type of custom layouts that you could share, I would love to read
> > about it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Carlos.

Re: [EE] Custom Keyboard for PC.

Carlos Marcano
Just wanted to thanks everyone that helped with your opinion, I ended using
bits from most of what you pitched.

 Best regards,

Carlos.