[EE] DIN mount Arduino (or similar) with 24V digital IO?

[EE] DIN mount Arduino (or similar) with 24V digital IO?

Jason White-20
Hi everyone,

I have a one-off personal automation project that I have been sitting on
for a few years - an air compressor controller, consisting of a 240V
contactor, two air solenoids, and a few buttons/lights in a box.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap DIN rail mounted Arduino (or
similar devices) with 24V digital IO?

I am familiar with the Click PLC being about $70 plus the cost of a
programming cable ($20). Being an EE and embedded programmer I know
arduinos can be bought dirt cheap and are "reasonable" for simple personal
projects like mine. For ruggedness, I am hoping to find an enclosure and/or
possibly a special purpose arduino-like PCB that has IO built in already.

Re: [EE] DIN mount Arduino (or similar) with 24V digital IO?

Neil
Few options:
- Get a couple of these and mount to an Arduino case, or even a blank
plate... https://www.mini-box.com/Din-Rail-mounting-kit-for-M350
- Many DIN rail plates on thingiverse (so you can 3D print one)
- You can get universal DIN mount plates (even on Amazon)

24V I/O is then a separate thing though.

Cheers,
-Neil

On 7/7/2020 1:13 PM, Jason White wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a one-off personal automation project that I have been sitting on
> for a few years - an air compressor controller, consisting of a 240V
> contactor, two air solenoids, and a few buttons/lights in a box.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap DIN rail mounted Arduino (or
> similar devices) with 24V digital IO?
>
> I am familiar with the Click PLC being about $70 plus the cost of a
> programming cable ($20). Being an EE and embedded programmer I know
> arduinos can be bought dirt cheap and are "reasonable" for simple personal
> projects like mine. For ruggedness, I am hoping to find an enclosure and/or
> possibly a special purpose arduino-like PCB that has IO built in already.

Re: [EE] DIN mount Arduino (or similar) with 24V digital IO?

Denny Esterline-2
Many options exist and a quick google will net several to choose from.
Here's one I just tripped on:
https://circuitdigest.com/tutorial/an-overview-of-plc-and-various-arduino-plc-boards

To me, it's a bit of a mess and the choice to make is based on economics of
development time and long term support rather than purchase price.
There's a fairly large existing support base for real PLCs in industrial
settings. Arduino... not so much.