[EE] In search of >4Mbps ISM transceiver

[EE] In search of >4Mbps ISM transceiver

Veronica Merryfield-3
Hi all

In the hopes someone might have turned up something I haven’t, which is not much, I am looking for transceiver that can do 4Mbps or better sustained on an ISM band, either chip or module, SOC based would be nice (but at the 100 to 200Mhz level for current consumption) but ok with SPI or similar.

This is for a point to point link so not too fussed about protocols etc but would use them if it gives me what I need.

I have found many that are slower, some that take I/Q input, some that are fixed application, and some that claim the speed in the headlines but not in the detail.

Espressif look reasonable but never used them before.
Cypress have a few but there seem to be supply issues with some of their wifi products.
ADI go to 2Mbps (but not sustained)
Maxim mostly need I/Q input
TI to 2Mbps

Thank you

Veronica

Re: [EE] In search of >4Mbps ISM transceiver

Richard Prosser
You could try looking at "Halow" modules - Silex a possible manufacturer.
I'm not sure how much additional HW / FW is required to get basic
throughput. 900MHz band, so depending on where in the world you are they
may classify as ISM band.
Halow is basically a WiFi type protocol, but working at lower frequencies.

Otherwise bluetooth can pass up to 4Mb/sec I think.
Espresseif  can be quick & easy to get something working in the 2.5GHz
band, using WiFi protocols. I've found the Arduino IDE  the most
straightforward way to attack them if you want quick results. Some ESP32
variants will handle BT and Wifi, not easily at the same time though.
Cheap too, but more of a standalone solution.

RP

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 11:14, Veronica Merryfield <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> In the hopes someone might have turned up something I haven’t, which is
> not much, I am looking for transceiver that can do 4Mbps or better
> sustained on an ISM band, either chip or module, SOC based would be nice
> (but at the 100 to 200Mhz level for current consumption) but ok with SPI or
> similar.
>
> This is for a point to point link so not too fussed about protocols etc
> but would use them if it gives me what I need.
>
> I have found many that are slower, some that take I/Q input, some that are
> fixed application, and some that claim the speed in the headlines but not
> in the detail.
>
> Espressif look reasonable but never used them before.
> Cypress have a few but there seem to be supply issues with some of their
> wifi products.
> ADI go to 2Mbps (but not sustained)
> Maxim mostly need I/Q input
> TI to 2Mbps
>
> Thank you
>
> Veronica

Re: [EE] In search of >4Mbps ISM transceiver

Gordon Williams-3
Hi Veronica,

Have a look at

https://www.wemos.cc/en/latest/d1/d1_mini.html

If you have used ardiuno, then setting up the board in the ardiuno IDE
will be very familiar.  Micro Python is an other option depending on
your computing load as it is slower.

All the ESP8266 Arduino Core’s documentation

https://arduino-esp8266.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

That should be enough to get you started.

If you want to do a deep dive ...

Chip technical reference

https://www.espressif.com/sites/default/files/documentation/esp8266-technical_reference_en.pdf

ESP8266 Non-OS SDK

https://www.espressif.com/sites/default/files/documentation/2c-esp8266_non_os_sdk_api_reference_en.pdf

I've used it in the Arduino environment except for a few small things
from the SDK.

For simple projects the Arduino IDE is OK and I would start here as it
is simple.  For more complicated projects you will want to move onto a
more feature rich IDE.

Regards,

Gordon Williams

On 2021-02-25 8:18 p.m., Veronica Merryfield wrote:

> Hey Gordon
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> If you have a moment, what are the ESP docs and SDK like to work with?
>
> Thank you
>
> Veronica
>

>> On Feb 25, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Gordon Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've used the ESP8266 D1 Mini and the boards are quite cheap (a few dollars) and easy to use.  There is also a fair bit of computing horse power too and work with the arduino framework, if you are into that.
>>
>> The integrated antenna is pretty good or you can get them with an external antenna.  Only 9 IO pins and 1 ADC though, so it depends on your needs.  USB is on the D1 Mini Board and makes development easy.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gordon Williams
>>

>> On 2021-02-25 5:13 p.m., Veronica Merryfield wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> In the hopes someone might have turned up something I haven’t, which is not much, I am looking for transceiver that can do 4Mbps or better sustained on an ISM band, either chip or module, SOC based would be nice (but at the 100 to 200Mhz level for current consumption) but ok with SPI or similar.
>>>
>>> This is for a point to point link so not too fussed about protocols etc but would use them if it gives me what I need.
>>>
>>> I have found many that are slower, some that take I/Q input, some that are fixed application, and some that claim the speed in the headlines but not in the detail.
>>>
>>> Espressif look reasonable but never used them before.
>>> Cypress have a few but there seem to be supply issues with some of their wifi products.
>>> ADI go to 2Mbps (but not sustained)
>>> Maxim mostly need I/Q input
>>> TI to 2Mbps
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Veronica

RE: [EE] In search of >4Mbps ISM transceiver

Allen Mulvey
If you are looking into esp8266 devices you should also consider esp32 devices. I have used both in numerous projects. The 32 bit devices can do everything the esp8266 can do and they have more memory and higher speed. I started having problems fitting my code into esp8266 devices.

Allen

On 2021-02-25 8:18 p.m., Veronica Merryfield wrote:

> Hey Gordon
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> If you have a moment, what are the ESP docs and SDK like to work with?
>
> Thank you
>
> Veronica
>

>> On Feb 25, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Gordon Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've used the ESP8266 D1 Mini and the boards are quite cheap (a few dollars) and easy to use.  There is also a fair bit of computing horse power too and work with the arduino framework, if you are into that.
>>
>> The integrated antenna is pretty good or you can get them with an external antenna.  Only 9 IO pins and 1 ADC though, so it depends on your needs.  USB is on the D1 Mini Board and makes development easy.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gordon Williams
>>

>> On 2021-02-25 5:13 p.m., Veronica Merryfield wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> In the hopes someone might have turned up something I haven’t, which is not much, I am looking for transceiver that can do 4Mbps or better sustained on an ISM band, either chip or module, SOC based would be nice (but at the 100 to 200Mhz level for current consumption) but ok with SPI or similar.
>>>
>>> This is for a point to point link so not too fussed about protocols etc but would use them if it gives me what I need.
>>>
>>> I have found many that are slower, some that take I/Q input, some that are fixed application, and some that claim the speed in the headlines but not in the detail.
>>>
>>> Espressif look reasonable but never used them before.
>>> Cypress have a few but there seem to be supply issues with some of their wifi products.
>>> ADI go to 2Mbps (but not sustained)
>>> Maxim mostly need I/Q input
>>> TI to 2Mbps
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Veronica

EE940F1954A7486DB39CCB6FBBE2D453.jpg (64K) Download Attachment

Re: [EE] In search of >4Mbps ISM transceiver

Jaco du Plooy
If using the esp32 and 8266, why bother with arduino?
If you are comfortable in c the IDK is easy to use and install. The starting projects give a quick path to get something up and running  very quickly and the documentation is good. Very straight forward.

Sent from my iPad

> On 26 Feb 2021, at 21:11, Allen Mulvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you are looking into esp8266 devices you should also consider esp32 devices. I have used both in numerous projects. The 32 bit devices can do everything the esp8266 can do and they have more memory and higher speed. I started having problems fitting my code into esp8266 devices.
>

> Allen

You don’t need the Arduino devices but the Arduino IDE is one of the most commonly used and has existing libraries and sample code to get you started on almost any project.

Allen