[EE] LCD cover materials?

Neil
For a device that has a TFT with a resistive touch screen, what does one
put over the display, so that the touch-screen is still usable?
I expect even thin polycarbonate will render the touch screen inoperable.

Cheers,
-Neil.

Re: [EE] LCD cover materials?

Jason White-20
In the past I think I've seen thin adhesive plastic films attached to
displays of that type (similar to electrostatically adhered cell phone
screen protectors). Thickness and material can likely be chosen such that
it lasts for a reasonable amount of time before scratching up. In the case
of cell-phone screen protectors they are replaceable and often sold in
packs of 2 or more with the expectation that the individual protectors will
wear out and be replaced.

Perhaps researching the manufacturers of transparent lens/screen protector
films might yield a whitepaper.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the company below.

My first google PDF result for "lens screen protector film filetype:pdf" (
https://www.photodon.com/Film-Comparison-Print.pdf ) yields a PDF comparing
the different grades of plastic protection film from the sellers website.

The FAQ on the website ( https://www.photodon.com/FAQ-Screen-Protectors.html)
suggests that they sell $5 sample kits of different films, do custom screen
protectors, and have an online tool for 'finding the right screen protector
film for the application'.

Best of luck! And, if possible, let us know how it goes.

-Jason White

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 7:47 PM Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For a device that has a TFT with a resistive touch screen, what does one
> put over the display, so that the touch-screen is still usable?
> I expect even thin polycarbonate will render the touch screen inoperable.
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.

Re: [EE] LCD cover materials?

Clint Jay
Anything that stops the touch sensor deforming will prevent a resistive
touch screen working so you're limited to thin, flexible sheets, good news
though, cheap iPad screen protectors work nicely

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 00:47, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For a device that has a TFT with a resistive touch screen, what does one
> put over the display, so that the touch-screen is still usable?
> I expect even thin polycarbonate will render the touch screen inoperable.
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.

Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Re: [EE] LCD cover materials?

David C Brown
I put my Kindle in a zip lock sandwich bag for reading in the bath and it
works fine
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 13:45, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anything that stops the touch sensor deforming will prevent a resistive
> touch screen working so you're limited to thin, flexible sheets, good news
> though, cheap iPad screen protectors work nicely
>
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 00:47, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For a device that has a TFT with a resistive touch screen, what does one
> > put over the display, so that the touch-screen is still usable?
> > I expect even thin polycarbonate will render the touch screen inoperable.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Neil.

> Clint. M0UAW IO83
>
> *No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
> of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Re: [EE] LCD cover materials?

Clint Jay
Pretty sure the Kindles use capacitive touch these days, Resistive touch
screens are really quite old tech now.