[EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

[EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

Jim Ruxton-2
I was wondering if anyone has come across an IC that is more readily
available than the Hotchip HT4928S discussed here :
http://blog.pagefault-limited.co.uk/hotchip-ht4928s-ver1-1-english-pdf
but is functionally equivalent.

What is special about it is that as well as the necessary charging
functions it has boost circuitry (with an added inductor ) to supply 5
volts directly from the charged LiIon battery.  I could design my board
with any number of charging ICs followed by a voltage booster but it's
nice that it's all in one chip.

Thanks for any tips.

Jim

Re: [EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

Clint Jay
No immediate alternative but I might consider buying up a few dollar store
Li-Ion power banks and dissecting them to find out what they use.

The board on the blog has holes for cell contacts to make such a device.

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 07:33, Jim Ruxton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has come across an IC that is more readily
> available than the Hotchip HT4928S discussed here :
> http://blog.pagefault-limited.co.uk/hotchip-ht4928s-ver1-1-english-pdf
> but is functionally equivalent.
>
> What is special about it is that as well as the necessary charging
> functions it has boost circuitry (with an added inductor ) to supply 5
> volts directly from the charged LiIon battery.  I could design my board
> with any number of charging ICs followed by a voltage booster but it's
> nice that it's all in one chip.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Jim

Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Re: [EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

Jim Ruxton-2
Thanks Clint. That's a good idea. I have the module shown in the blog. I
would just use this module on my board but it has a USB output connector
for the 5 volts. I would like it without it, just the 5 volt output on
pads. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Jim

On Fri., Oct. 9, 2020, 3:28 a.m. Clint Jay, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No immediate alternative but I might consider buying up a few dollar store
> Li-Ion power banks and dissecting them to find out what they use.
>
> The board on the blog has holes for cell contacts to make such a device.
>
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 07:33, Jim Ruxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone has come across an IC that is more readily
> > available than the Hotchip HT4928S discussed here :
> > http://blog.pagefault-limited.co.uk/hotchip-ht4928s-ver1-1-english-pdf
> > but is functionally equivalent.
> >
> > What is special about it is that as well as the necessary charging
> > functions it has boost circuitry (with an added inductor ) to supply 5
> > volts directly from the charged LiIon battery.  I could design my board
> > with any number of charging ICs followed by a voltage booster but it's
> > nice that it's all in one chip.
> >
> > Thanks for any tips.
> >
> > Jim

> Clint. M0UAW IO83
>
> *No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
> of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Re: [EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

Josh Koffman
On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 4:07 AM Jim Ruxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Clint. That's a good idea. I have the module shown in the blog. I
> would just use this module on my board but it has a USB output connector
> for the 5 volts. I would like it without it, just the 5 volt output on
> pads. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Hi Jim,

I am not sure if I have that exact model, but I definitely tossed
something similar on a recent AliExpress order. My plan was to remove
the USB-A connector so I could solder to its pads for 5V output.

The only part I hadn't figured out was power control, I don't
necessarily want the boost converter sitting and running while the
unit is off. But I also find it sloppy if the unit needs to be
switched on to charge.

I'm sure there's a clever solution, I just haven't looked for it yet.

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: [EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

Jim Ruxton-2
Hi Josh,

Something that may be relevant is that the chip goes into shutdown if
the load falls below 60 mA. I know this provides an issue for some
people using this module when they have light loads.

Jim

> Hi Jim,
>
> I am not sure if I have that exact model, but I definitely tossed
> something similar on a recent AliExpress order. My plan was to remove
> the USB-A connector so I could solder to its pads for 5V output.
>
> The only part I hadn't figured out was power control, I don't
> necessarily want the boost converter sitting and running while the
> unit is off. But I also find it sloppy if the unit needs to be
> switched on to charge.
>
> I'm sure there's a clever solution, I just haven't looked for it yet.
>
> Josh

Re: [EE] Looking for equivalent IC to HT4928S Lithium Ion Charger

Many of the powerbank ICs are potentially suitable.
Finding them is another matter:

HT4928 allegedly available here
China / HK but mentions manufacturers in Europe & US
https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/HT4928S

MP2637
QFN
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/documentview/productdocument/index/version/2/document_type/Datasheet/lang/en/sku/MP2637/document_id/1441
Digikey $3.45/1
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/pmic-battery-chargers/781?s=N4IgTCBcDaILIAUwDYDMB2EBdAvkA

Here is a list of IPxxxx devices

   http://www.injoinic.com/product_detail/id/21.html?lang=en-us

Datasheet links at right - many live.
Some of the "English" ones are in Chinee. Some in English
Examples only:

ESOP8
http://www.injoinic.com/wwwroot/uploads/files/20200221/b4bef990cae89a87fc3180cc3b76b833.pdf

ESOP16
http://www.injoinic.com/wwwroot/uploads/files/20200221/5edb08a79152c9ee2ca8ea29a5d5ad25.pdf

IP5330 - 19 pages in English
3A charge / discharge. 92%+ claimed efficiency.
150 uA standby.

http://www.injoinic.com/wwwroot/uploads/files/20200221/cefcc6a732151758774084f3149eed3b.pdf

    Russell