[EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

[EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Dwayne Reid
Good day to all.

I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.

I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
(1mA or so).

I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
would absolutely consider others.

Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
current rating, in other words.

Suggestions gratefully accepted!

Many thanks!

dwayne

--
Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Brent Brown-2
Hi Dwain,

High gain made me think Zetex, looks like they are part of Diodes Inc now. Probably
overkill, but if price not a major consideration...

ZTX692B 70V 1A hFE=400 E-line (TO-92 compatible)

For much cheaper look at BC547 (A, B or C suffix). Spec sheet I looked at has only
one graph for hFE, presumably the A suffix part as it shows gain of 200 @ Ic =
1mA. Suffix B has more and C has the highest gain, should provide some head
room.

Brent

On 28 Aug 2020 at 17:13, Dwayne Reid wrote:

> Good day to all.
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
> 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
> the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
>
> I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
> that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
> high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
> (1mA or so).
>
> I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
> would absolutely consider others.
>
> Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
> current rating, in other words.
>
> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>
> Many thanks!
>
> dwayne
>
> --
> Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
> Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
> 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
> www.trinity-electronics.com
> Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

It's possible to make a "high gain transistor" by placing two transistors
in the Darlington configuration (depending on your noise, bandwidth,
stability, and biasing requirements)

If we are talking strictly DC gain two transistors with low gain (eg.
Gain=20) in Darlington configuration could easily get you above your
desired minimum gain.

Regards,
-Jason White

On Friday, August 28, 2020, Dwayne Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day to all.
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
> 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
> the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
>
> I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
> that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
> high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
> (1mA or so).
>
> I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
> would absolutely consider others.
>
> Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
> current rating, in other words.
>
> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>
> Many thanks!
>
> dwayne
>
> --
> Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
> Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
> 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
> www.trinity-electronics.com
> Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

If you can overcome your aversion to devices that pretend to be USAian then
the BC337/BC327 and SMD BC807 ... versions with the -40 suffix are cheap
and relatively awesome .

The eg BC337-40 has beta of 250 to 600 mean 400.
Overall about as useful and cost effective jellybean as any.

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Sean Breheny
Hi Dwayne,

Are you planning on using these as saturated switches or linear devices?
Typically the current gain in linear operation (with Vce at least several
volts) only gets better with lower current. I think the effect you are
referring to (lower current gain at small currents) is only due to
base-collector junction leakage at low Vce (BC junction becoming forward
biased or close to it).

Sean

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 7:14 PM Dwayne Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day to all.
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
> 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
> the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
>
> I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
> that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
> high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
> (1mA or so).
>
> I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
> would absolutely consider others.
>
> Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
> current rating, in other words.
>
> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>
> Many thanks!
>
> dwayne
>
> --
> Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
> Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
> 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
> www.trinity-electronics.com
> Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Forrest Christian (List Account)
A darlington such as the MPSA29 would strictly fit your stated requirements
but I don't know if you'd find the darlington gain to be way too high.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020, 5:23 PM Dwayne Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day to all.
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
> 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
> the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
>
> I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
> that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
> high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
> (1mA or so).
>
> I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
> would absolutely consider others.
>
> Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
> current rating, in other words.
>
> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>
> Many thanks!
>
> dwayne
>
> --
> Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
> Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
> 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
> www.trinity-electronics.com
> Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

But BC337 only has 45 VCEO and 50 VCBO. Otherwise a nice part.
Bob

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Manu Abraham-2
Hi Dwayne,

How about the 2N5401 ? Vceo=150V, Ic max=600mA, hFE=40-200

I was able to get it for about 0.05USD, locally over here.

Cheers,

Manu

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 4:45 AM Dwayne Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day to all.
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
> 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
> the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
>
> I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
> that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
> high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
> (1mA or so).
>
> I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
> would absolutely consider others.
>
> Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
> current rating, in other words.
>
> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>
> Many thanks!
>
> dwayne
>
> --
> Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
> Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
> 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
> www.trinity-electronics.com
> Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Manu Abraham-2
The complementary equivalent one is 2N5550/2N5551

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 12:18 AM Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dwayne,
>
> How about the 2N5401 ? Vceo=150V, Ic max=600mA, hFE=40-200
>
> I was able to get it for about 0.05USD, locally over here.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Manu
>
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 4:45 AM Dwayne Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Good day to all.
> >
> > I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
> > 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
> > the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
> >
> > I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
> > that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
> > high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
> > (1mA or so).
> >
> > I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
> > would absolutely consider others.
> >
> > Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
> > current rating, in other words.
> >
> > Suggestions gratefully accepted!
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > dwayne
> >
> > --
> > Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
> > Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
> > 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
> > www.trinity-electronics.com
> > Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

John Lawton
I would suggest the BC546C rather than the BC547C as it has a higher
voltage rating:

Vcbo 80V
Vceo 65V
Gain @ 2mA 420-800
Ic (cont) 100mA

John

On 29/08/2020 03:47, Brent Brown wrote:

> Hi Dwain,
>
> High gain made me think Zetex, looks like they are part of Diodes Inc now. Probably
> overkill, but if price not a major consideration...
>
> ZTX692B 70V 1A hFE=400 E-line (TO-92 compatible)
>
> For much cheaper look at BC547 (A, B or C suffix). Spec sheet I looked at has only
> one graph for hFE, presumably the A suffix part as it shows gain of 200 @ Ic =
> 1mA. Suffix B has more and C has the highest gain, should provide some head
> room.
>
> Brent
>
> On 28 Aug 2020 at 17:13, Dwayne Reid wrote:
>
>> Good day to all.
>>
>> I'm looking for an inexpensive jelly-bean transistor similar to
>> 2n4401 but with minimum 60V rating.  Of particular importance is that
>> the DC current gain exceed 200 with collector current of about 1 mA.
>>
>> I've been going through the many choices at Digikey but I'm finding
>> that although many suitable transistors have decent gain at fairly
>> high currents (100 mA and up), they have sucky gain at low currents
>> (1mA or so).
>>
>> I'd prefer to stay with a North American part number (2Nxxxx) but
>> would absolutely consider others.
>>
>> Prefer something fairly robust, similar to the 2N4401.  Decent
>> current rating, in other words.
>>
>> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> dwayne
>>
>> --
>> Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
>> Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
>> 780-489-3199 voice   780-487-6397 fax   888-489-3199 Toll Free
>> www.trinity-electronics.com
>> Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Re: [EE] Looking for higher-voltage version of 2N4401

Clint Jay
BC639.