[EE] Monitoring/Logging a PID controller, SLB4848

[EE] Monitoring/Logging a PID controller, SLB4848

Jason White-20
Hi everyone,

For fun, I am controlling the temperature of a unused room with a SOLO
Basic SLB4848 PID temperature controller from AutomationDirect. Tuning the
controller has proven to be harder than it looks due to the long time
constant of the room. For instance, a change in setpoint or tuning
parameter can take several days to fully play out.

The room in question is a (possibly drafty and poorly insulated) unused
bedroom. In my case, to artificially increase the difficulty of this
exercise, I am using an RTD to monitor air temperature 1 foot above the
floor. The PID controller is driving an electric radiator that heats the
room by convection. While I am sure that I could make things significantly
easier on myself if I changed the system configuration (adding a fan,
elevating the sensor) - I'd prefer to leave the system as is.

I would like to monitor or log the input and/or output of this PID
controller. The input is temperature (RTD resistance), the output is duty
cycle (12V to soild state relay)/average power supplied the electric
heater.

While I could rig up an arduino, I was wondering if there were any off the
shelf solutions. In particular, some multimeters do logging functions.

I was also wondering if anyone on the list had any experience with said
multimeters or other tools. And if they had any advice on
monitoring/logging said system.

Re: [EE] Monitoring/Logging a PID controller, SLB4848

Jean-Paul Louis
Jason,Look at Sensorpush. They have battery operated temperature/humidity recorders with a bluetooth interface.
Jean-Paul N1JPL

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 8:19 AM, Jason White<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi everyone,