[EE] Mounts for LEDs.

David C Brown
Struggling to find this because I don't know the name

A transparent plastic cube about a quarter inch on a side though a cylinder
would be acceptable
One side is open with a circular extension which you can clip into a hole
in a panel from the front.   Then a 5mm LED can be pushed into the back

The key points are that  gluing the mount into the panel makes for
waterproof.
And LED is mounted from back so can be on a circuit board.
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

David Duffy (AVD)
Hi David.
Maybe search for "LED Bezel" ?
David...

On 3/08/2020 9:06 am, David C Brown wrote:

> Struggling to find this because I don't know the name
>
> A transparent plastic cube about a quarter inch on a side though a cylinder
> would be acceptable
> One side is open with a circular extension which you can clip into a hole
> in a panel from the front.   Then a 5mm LED can be pushed into the back
>
> The key points are that  gluing the mount into the panel makes for
> waterproof.
> And LED is mounted from back so can be on a circuit board.

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

Josh Koffman
On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 7:06 PM David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Struggling to find this because I don't know the name
>
> A transparent plastic cube about a quarter inch on a side though a cylinder
> would be acceptable
> One side is open with a circular extension which you can clip into a hole
> in a panel from the front.   Then a 5mm LED can be pushed into the back
>
> The key points are that  gluing the mount into the panel makes for
> waterproof.
> And LED is mounted from back so can be on a circuit board.

Wouldn't this be a type of fancy light pipe?

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

Brent Brown-2
Try "light pipe" as a search term. These may fit your description:

hiq.co.nz/products/category/LP5M-5mm-panel-mount

Bivar make a lot of these things. Model PLPQ is square, but seems they are only
2mm or 3mm, not 5mm.

On 3 Aug 2020 at 0:06, David C Brown wrote:

> Struggling to find this because I don't know the name
>
> A transparent plastic cube about a quarter inch on a side though a cylinder
> would be acceptable
> One side is open with a circular extension which you can clip into a hole
> in a panel from the front.   Then a 5mm LED can be pushed into the back
>
> The key points are that  gluing the mount into the panel makes for
> waterproof.
> And LED is mounted from back so can be on a circuit board.
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

Neil
"LED panel mount lens square" gives me this...
https://www.google.com/search?q=led+panel+mount+lens+square&tbm=isch

Cheers,
-Neil.

On 8/2/2020 7:06 PM, David C Brown wrote:

> Struggling to find this because I don't know the name
>
> A transparent plastic cube about a quarter inch on a side though a cylinder
> would be acceptable
> One side is open with a circular extension which you can clip into a hole
> in a panel from the front.   Then a 5mm LED can be pushed into the back
>
> The key points are that  gluing the mount into the panel makes for
> waterproof.
> And LED is mounted from back so can be on a circuit board.
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

Harold Hallikainen-3
I remember seeing those many years ago with a specific brand name that I
now do not remember. People are mentioning light pipes. A clever approach
I've seen is clear plastic thing stuck through the front panel that passes
over an SMT LED on the PCB. The LED light goes up, goes into the plastic
piece, hits a 45 degree surface, and is then directed out the front panel.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

Denny Esterline-2
https://www.keyelco.com/category.cfm/Panel-Hardware/LED-Spacers-Lens-Caps/p/1262/id/455

Try these. Available at mouser/digikey, but this catalog is more useful.

On Sunday, August 2, 2020, Harold Hallikainen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I remember seeing those many years ago with a specific brand name that I
> now do not remember. People are mentioning light pipes. A clever approach
> I've seen is clear plastic thing stuck through the front panel that passes
> over an SMT LED on the PCB. The LED light goes up, goes into the plastic
> piece, hits a 45 degree surface, and is then directed out the front panel.
>
> Harold
>

> --
> FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
> Not sent from an iPhone.

RE: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

Allen Mulvey
Would an LED lens work?
https://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/LED-Indication/LED-Lenses/_/N-b1d1r

Allen

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

David C Brown
Thanks, Aleen and Danny.  Those are what I want.

As an aside.   Despite the amazing search algorithms on the web I find it
harder and slower to find components than in the old days of
paper catalogues.   I have a ten year old Farnell catalogue which I
often use as a starter to get me to the right part of their web site.  This
often finds something that was overlooked on a web search.

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 at 04:52, Allen Mulvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would an LED lens work?
> https://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/LED-Indication/LED-Lenses/_/N-b1d1r
>
> Allen

Re: [EE] Mounts for LEDs.

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 at 12:13, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "LED panel mount lens square" gives me this...
> https://www.google.com/search?q=led+panel+mount+lens+square&tbm=isch
>

> Aliexpress LED light pipes. Low cost in 100s
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-led-light-pipe.html

Many more on Ali Express.
__________________

Following Neil's link for interest gave among many things a collection of
RS source parts

*RS: All sorts of shapes
<https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.rs-online.com%2Ft_large%2FR9168906-01.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fnz.rs-online.com%2Fweb%2Fp%2Fled-light-pipes%2F9168906%2F&tbnid=1J3FHMvkfMqnrM&vet=12ahUKEwjNqM7_i_7qAhULxXMBHVAtDVYQMygBegUIARCIAg..i&docid=ut4JFUemw942sM&w=444&h=308&itg=1&q=led%20panel%20mount%20lens%20square&ved=2ahUKEwjNqM7_i_7qAhULxXMBHVAtDVYQMygBegUIARCIAg>
 *

____________

3.8mm dia x 5mm long round
https://mt.rsdelivers.com/product/bivar/plp1-5mm/plp1-5mm-bivar-panel-mount-led-light-pipe-clear/9168701

3.3 x 6 cylindrical
https://ae.rsdelivers.com/product/bivar/plp2-6mm/plp2-6mm-bivar-panel-mount-led-light-pipe-clear/9168739

3.8 x 24 ! cylindrical
https://mt.rsdelivers.com/product/vcc/lmc020ctp/lmc020ctp-vcc-panel-mount-led-light-pipe-clear/1371192

Notable mainly for this comment
Bivar's range of LED light pipes include both rigid and flexible types.
Their light pipes enable the user to move light from the LED source to a
desired destination over a range of distances up to 100m. Bivar's LED light
pipes are ideal for design flexibility.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-light-pipes/7134703/

Rather cute, various lengths, tubular
https://www.toby.co.uk/led-and-light-pipes/led-light-pipes/emp1-valcon-rigid-press-fit-panel-mount-rear-light-pipes-3mm-lens/