[EE] Piezo driver

Manu Abraham-2
Hi folks,

I am looking for a power amplifier that can do about 1.8MHz with a
swing of about 18V, the piezo element with an impedance of 2 ohms at a
resonant freq. of 1.77MHz.

Any known designs that can do, or any pointers ?

Thanks,

Manu

[EE] Piezo driver

Jason White-20
Check out "signal amplifiers" which typically get used with bench top
signal/function generators.

Model 9100 "300V high voltage amplifier"

Datasheet:
https://www.taborelec.com/Tabor//userdata/SendFile.asp?DBID=1&LNGID=1&GID=719&FID=1161

0.1ohm output impedance
"small signal" -3db bandwidth 1MHz, at 20Vp-p

Cost?

No affiliation with the seller.

Be aware, this is a "high voltage amplifier" they also appear to classify
some of their amplifiers as "high frequency" and "high current"

https://www.taborelec.com/signal-amplifiers

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am looking for a power amplifier that can do about 1.8MHz with a
> swing of about 18V, the piezo element with an impedance of 2 ohms at a
> resonant freq. of 1.77MHz.
>
> Any known designs that can do, or any pointers ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Manu

Re: [EE] Piezo driver

Manu Abraham-2
Hi Jason,

Thanks for chiming in.

I am sorry, my bad and incomplete post. Should've elaborated that I
was searching for a
single chip solution, or a discrete solution, rather than a completely
built equipment.

Best Regards,

Manu

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:04 PM Jason White
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Check out "signal amplifiers" which typically get used with bench top
> signal/function generators.
>
> Model 9100 "300V high voltage amplifier"
>
> Datasheet:
> https://www.taborelec.com/Tabor//userdata/SendFile.asp?DBID=1&LNGID=1&GID=719&FID=1161
>
> 0.1ohm output impedance
> "small signal" -3db bandwidth 1MHz, at 20Vp-p
>
> Cost?
>
> No affiliation with the seller.
>
> Be aware, this is a "high voltage amplifier" they also appear to classify
> some of their amplifiers as "high frequency" and "high current"
>
> https://www.taborelec.com/signal-amplifiers
>
> Regards,
> Jason White
>

> On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am looking for a power amplifier that can do about 1.8MHz with a
> > swing of about 18V, the piezo element with an impedance of 2 ohms at a
> > resonant freq. of 1.77MHz.
> >
> > Any known designs that can do, or any pointers ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Manu

> Jason White

Re: [EE] Piezo driver

louijp@gmail.com
Manu,That's about 160 watt peak at 1.8 MHz.Look for ham radio amplifiers for 160m band.
Jean-Paul N1JPL

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:32 AM, Manu Abraham<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi Jason,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Check out "signal amplifiers" which typically get used with bench top
> signal/function generators.
>
> Model 9100 "300V high voltage amplifier"
>
> Datasheet:
> https://www.taborelec.com/Tabor//userdata/SendFile.asp?DBID=1&LNGID=1&GID=719&FID=1161
>
> 0.1ohm output impedance
> "small signal" -3db bandwidth 1MHz, at 20Vp-p
>
> Cost?
>
> No affiliation with the seller.
>
> Be aware, this is a "high voltage amplifier" they also appear to classify
> some of their amplifiers as "high frequency" and "high current"
>
> https://www.taborelec.com/signal-amplifiers
>
> Regards,
> Jason White
>

> On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am looking for a power amplifier that can do about 1.8MHz with a
> > swing of about 18V, the piezo element with an impedance of 2 ohms at a
> > resonant freq. of 1.77MHz.
> >
> > Any known designs that can do, or any pointers ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Manu

> Jason White

Re: [EE] Piezo driver

Discrete solution: N channel FETs in H-bridge configuration plus beefy gate
driver. 1-2Mhz switching frequencies are pretty commonly in SMPS design.
You might find an SMPS controller with integrated FETs and make it do your
bidding by altering the voltage at the feedback pin.

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for chiming in.
>
> I am sorry, my bad and incomplete post. Should've elaborated that I
> was searching for a
> single chip solution, or a discrete solution, rather than a completely
> built equipment.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Manu
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:04 PM Jason White
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Check out "signal amplifiers" which typically get used with bench top
> > signal/function generators.
> >
> > Model 9100 "300V high voltage amplifier"
> >
> > Datasheet:
> > https://www.taborelec.com/Tabor//userdata/SendFile.asp?
> DBID=1&LNGID=1&GID=719&FID=1161
> >
> > 0.1ohm output impedance
> > "small signal" -3db bandwidth 1MHz, at 20Vp-p
> >
> > Cost?
> >
> > No affiliation with the seller.
> >
> > Be aware, this is a "high voltage amplifier" they also appear to classify
> > some of their amplifiers as "high frequency" and "high current"
> >
> > https://www.taborelec.com/signal-amplifiers
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jason White
> >

> > On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a power amplifier that can do about 1.8MHz with a
> > > swing of about 18V, the piezo element with an impedance of 2 ohms at a
> > > resonant freq. of 1.77MHz.
> > >
> > > Any known designs that can do, or any pointers ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Manu
> > > --

> > Jason White

Re: [EE] Piezo driver

Manu Abraham-2
Hi Jean-Paul,

Thanks for the pointer.
Found some designs at qsl.net, but looks like it will need adaptations.
Looks like a push-pull configuration might fit the job. Need to fiddle
around a bit.

Thanks,
Manu

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 8:14 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Manu,
> That's about 160 watt peak at 1.8 MHz.
> Look for ham radio amplifiers for 160m band.
>
> Jean-Paul
> N1JPL
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:32 AM, Manu Abraham
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for chiming in.
>
> I am sorry, my bad and incomplete post. Should've elaborated that I
> was searching for a
> single chip solution, or a discrete solution, rather than a completely
> built equipment.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Manu
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:04 PM Jason White
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Check out "signal amplifiers" which typically get used with bench top
> > signal/function generators.
> >
> > Model 9100 "300V high voltage amplifier"
> >
> > Datasheet:
> > https://www.taborelec.com/Tabor//userdata/SendFile.asp?DBID=1&LNGID=1&GID=719&FID=1161
> >
> > 0.1ohm output impedance
> > "small signal" -3db bandwidth 1MHz, at 20Vp-p
> >
> > Cost?
> >
> > No affiliation with the seller.
> >
> > Be aware, this is a "high voltage amplifier" they also appear to classify
> > some of their amplifiers as "high frequency" and "high current"
> >
> > https://www.taborelec.com/signal-amplifiers
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jason White
> >

> > On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a power amplifier that can do about 1.8MHz with a
> > > swing of about 18V, the piezo element with an impedance of 2 ohms at a
> > > resonant freq. of 1.77MHz.
> > >
> > > Any known designs that can do, or any pointers ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Manu
> > > --

> > Jason White

Re: [EE] Piezo driver

Manu Abraham-2
Hi Jason,

Though weird, the thought of using a buck converter is indeed thought provoking.
Will fiddle around a bit and see how it goes along.

Thanks,
Manu

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Jason White
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Discrete solution: N channel FETs in H-bridge configuration plus beefy gate
> driver. 1-2Mhz switching frequencies are pretty commonly in SMPS design.
> You might find an SMPS controller with integrated FETs and make it do your
> bidding by altering the voltage at the feedback pin.
>
> On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > Thanks for chiming in.
> >
> > I am sorry, my bad and incomplete post. Should've elaborated that I
> > was searching for a
> > single chip solution, or a discrete solution, rather than a completely
> > built equipment.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Manu
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:04 PM Jason White
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Check out "signal amplifiers" which typically get used with bench top
> > > signal/function generators.
> > >
> > > Model 9100 "300V high voltage amplifier"
> > >
> > > Datasheet:
> > > https://www.taborelec.com/Tabor//userdata/SendFile.asp?
> > DBID=1&LNGID=1&GID=719&FID=1161
> > >
> > > 0.1ohm output impedance
> > > "small signal" -3db bandwidth 1MHz, at 20Vp-p
> > >
> > > Cost?
> > >
> > > No affiliation with the seller.
> > >
> > > Be aware, this is a "high voltage amplifier" they also appear to classify
> > > some of their amplifiers as "high frequency" and "high current"
> > >
> > > https://www.taborelec.com/signal-amplifiers
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Jason White

> > > --
> > > Jason White
> > > --

> Jason White

Re: [EE] Piezo driver

Manu Abraham-2
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Discrete solution: N channel FETs in H-bridge configuration plus beefy gate
> driver. 1-2Mhz switching frequencies are pretty commonly in SMPS design.
> You might find an SMPS controller with integrated FETs and make it do your
> bidding by altering the voltage at the feedback pin.

Regarding the discrete solution, what gate driver/MOSFET do you have in mind ?

A SMPS controller cannot work for the simple reason is that the
frequency is fixed internally
by the controller. Simple controllers such as the SG3524 do have
external RC components
to set the frequency, but such legacy controllers run at relatively
lower frequencies.

Thanks,

Manu