[EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Neil
Anyone have a recommendation for a budget RS-485 sniffer/analyzer?
With software, under $50 would be nice.  Under $100 is workable.
Will be testing some things for someone else for a few weeks, so it's
not something I do regularly enough to warrany buying a fancy tester.

Cheers,
-Neil.

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Josh Koffman
On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 2:05 PM Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone have a recommendation for a budget RS-485 sniffer/analyzer?
> With software, under $50 would be nice.  Under $100 is workable.
> Will be testing some things for someone else for a few weeks, so it's
> not something I do regularly enough to warrany buying a fancy tester.

Hi Neil,

Does it have to be one piece of gear? An SN75176 (or MAX485) and a
logic analyzer would probably get you most of the way there. I've
never tried this with a Bus Pirate or Logic Pirate, but it seems this
might be up their alley.

I've used my Saelea for this and it's wonderful. I love their stuff.
But definitely over $100, though I'm sure you'd find use for it
elsewhere.

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Alan Pearce
There are USB-485 dongles out there, so use one of these with normal
terminal software?
Or come up with your own program to interpret the data stream if it
isn't printable characters.

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 19:05, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone have a recommendation for a budget RS-485 sniffer/analyzer?
> With software, under $50 would be nice.  Under $100 is workable.
> Will be testing some things for someone else for a few weeks, so it's
> not something I do regularly enough to warrany buying a fancy tester.
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Alan Pearce
Follow-up, here is one on Amazon ...
https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-SH-U11L-RS485-Chip-1-5M/dp/B08DXRKFZR/ref=sr_1_48?dchild=1&keywords=USB+RS485&qid=1600139586&sr=8-48&pldnSite=1

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 20:01, Alan Pearce <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are USB-485 dongles out there, so use one of these with normal
> terminal software?
> Or come up with your own program to interpret the data stream if it
> isn't printable characters.
>
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 19:05, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have a recommendation for a budget RS-485 sniffer/analyzer?
> > With software, under $50 would be nice.  Under $100 is workable.
> > Will be testing some things for someone else for a few weeks, so it's
> > not something I do regularly enough to warrany buying a fancy tester.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Neil.

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Neil
I've found USB-to-RS485 cables, but the software will be the important
thing here.
Definitely not worth writing any software for this short-term project...
do you know of anything open-source or low-cost that's better than just
a terminal reading streaming data?

Cheers,
-Neil.

On 10/1/2020 3:01 PM, Alan Pearce wrote:

> There are USB-485 dongles out there, so use one of these with normal
> terminal software?
> Or come up with your own program to interpret the data stream if it
> isn't printable characters.
>
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 19:05, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Anyone have a recommendation for a budget RS-485 sniffer/analyzer?
>> With software, under $50 would be nice.  Under $100 is workable.
>> Will be testing some things for someone else for a few weeks, so it's
>> not something I do regularly enough to warrany buying a fancy tester.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Neil.

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Harold Hallikainen-3
I've used a logic analyzer like the thech-tools DigiView to watch a 485
bus directly. No 485 receiver required since one wire or the other is 5V
serial data. Also, RealTerm can capture serial data and display it in hex.
I use an FTDI TTL-232R-5V-WE cable to get TTL or similar level data into a
USB comm port.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com
Not sent from an iPhone.

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Josh Koffman
Here's a link to the Logic Pirate:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Logic_Pirate

The Bus Pirate might also work:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

RE: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

mbaum7901
I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15 years.
It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version works
very well

https://www.taltech.com/blog/post/tal_breakout_software_freeware

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Alan Pearce
Hmm, looks like all the software is Windows, BUT there is free C/C++
source code for a terminal program. Haven't looked at it but again it
may be windows centric ...

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 21:31, mbaum7901 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15 years.
> It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version works
> very well
>
> https://www.taltech.com/blog/post/tal_breakout_software_freeware

The neat think about TAL Breakout is the way it displays both sides of the
conversation.
It needs two serial ports to monitor both directions but very useful.
Years ago, one of my companies used this so extensively that we designed and
built breakout boards for just this purpose.

Mike

Hmm, looks like all the software is Windows, BUT there is free C/C++ source
code for a terminal program. Haven't looked at it but again it may be
windows centric ...

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 21:31, mbaum7901 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15 years.
> It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version
> works very well
>
> https://www.taltech.com/blog/post/tal_breakout_software_freeware

Good point on the single-wire voltage.

On 10/1/2020 4:03 PM, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I've used a logic analyzer like the thech-tools DigiView to watch a 485
> bus directly. No 485 receiver required since one wire or the other is 5V
> serial data. Also, RealTerm can capture serial data and display it in hex.
> I use an FTDI TTL-232R-5V-WE cable to get TTL or similar level data into a
> USB comm port.
>
> Harold

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Neil
Ha!  I got a bus pirate maybe a decade ago.  Finally dug it up an
tinkered with it earlier this year, then realized I didn't have an
specific need for it then.
Now I wonder where I put it again :D

On 10/1/2020 4:14 PM, Josh Koffman wrote:
> Here's a link to the Logic Pirate:
>
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Logic_Pirate
>
> The Bus Pirate might also work:
>
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate
>
> Josh

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Neil
Chrome is trying to block the download claiming it's suspicious. Might
be just because it's an .EXE file?
Will try this on another computer just in case.

I also found this... https://freeserialanalyzer.com/

On 10/1/2020 4:28 PM, mbaum7901 wrote:

> I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15 years.
> It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version works
> very well
>
> https://www.taltech.com/blog/post/tal_breakout_software_freeware

mike brown
Disclaimer: This may or may not be a controversial statement.  I'd
recommend one of the super cheap ($10ish) Salae (sp?) clones.  They do 8
channels at up to 24MHZ, no serious input protection or fancy probe
connectors, just raw IDC pins.  You might want to put some blocking
resistors to limit input current, depending upon the voltages you
anticipate.  You'd have to verify, but I think the pins can survive + or -
20V, I just don't remember.  If you burn out a channel, who cares, rig up
something to protect the ones left.  ;) Buy them by the dozen and throw one
in every toolbox.  But you don't have to use a $10 clone of an ancient
analyzer, it works with all kinds of analyzers.

I don't recommend using official Salae software, but Sigrok Pulseview
instead.  It runs in Windows or Linux, there's even an Android app.  I've
only tinkered with a bit, but I think it's pretty awesome for open source
software.  There's a jillian "stackable" protocol decoders built in.  It's
awesome, seriously.  It "knows" the various UART, I2C and SPI protocols to
talk to a plethora of various chips.  The wiki write up on Sigrok Pulseview
is very detailed.

When I said stackable, that's what I meant, it's nice to look at I2C comms
and not have to have a datasheet in hand for an ADC or some other IC that's
on the bus, trying to figure out what's going wrong.  Just take a look at
this list: https://sigrok.org/wiki/Protocol_decoders  It even flags missing
acks, parity or framing errors.  Did I mention that it's awesome?

I'm still waiting for a Rigol scope, or any affordable scope, to embed this
ability into their serial decoder functionality.  Pulseview can even talk
to oscilloscopes; it's not just limited to logic analyzers.  You can
capture analog signals, convert them to digital day streams (using
thresholds of your choice) and feed them into the protocol analyzers.

I even use Pulseview with my Hantek 6022bl, it's got a nicer interface.
Capturing analog inputs and automatically converting them to a logic stream
comes in handy. It can even guess at baud rates, if you're unsure.  It can
do timing analysis.  I don't know what else it can do, but there's probably
more.  Be forewarned, capturing at 24MHZ from an unbuffered clone device
requires a decent computer and a good USB cable, but it works.  You can
record as many samples as you want, as long as the PC can keep up
transferring 24 megabytes per second.  The clones seem to sample all 8
inputs, whether you need them or not.  It's $10, what can you expect.

Here's on for $9, but mine is by hiletgo and cost $12 for the "kit".  It
looks just like this one.  As long as you don't use Salea software, no
crime has occurred, nobody was harmed in any way, just a reappropriated USB
VID and PID.  It's certainly not the same quality hardware as the original
version.

https://www.amazon.com/Comidox-Analyzer-Device-Channel-Arduino/dp/B07KW445DJ/ref=asc_df_B07KW445DJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289581070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2425961148164562015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052205&hvtargid=pla-804742835968&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71490160010&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289581070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2425961148164562015&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052205&hvtargid=pla-804742835968

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 15:38 mbaum7901 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15 years.
> It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version works
> very well
>
> https://www.taltech.com/blog/post/tal_breakout_software_freeware

This reminds me of a project in the 1980s where I used the Centronics
printer port on a Cromemco CP/M computer as a logic analyzer to reverse
engineer the serial bus for the Commodore 1541 disk drive. For that, I did
a simple transition capture. If any bit changed, I captured the full 8
bits. I did not care about timing. That ended up in this product:
http://bh.hallikainen.org//wiki/uploads/HfDrc190.pdf

Harold

> [...]
> USB
> VID and PID.  It's certainly not the same quality hardware as the original
> version.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Comidox-Analyzer-Device-Channel-Arduino/dp/B07KW445DJ/ref=asc_df_B07KW445DJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289581070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2425961148164562015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052205&hvtargid=pla-804742835968&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71490160010&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289581070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2425961148164562015&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052205&hvtargid=pla-804742835968
>

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 15:38 mbaum7901 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15
>> years.
>> It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version

madscientistatlarge
That's a dead link, even after fixing the ".org//" part.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Friday, October 2, 2020 2:36 PM, Harold Hallikainen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > USB
> > VID and PID. It's certainly not the same quality hardware as the original
> > version.
> > https://www.amazon.com/Comidox-Analyzer-Device-Channel-Arduino/dp/B07KW445DJ/ref=asc_df_B07KW445DJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289581070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2425961148164562015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052205&hvtargid=pla-804742835968&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71490160010&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289581070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2425961148164562015&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052205&hvtargid=pla-804742835968
> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 15:38 mbaum7901 [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > > I have used a free software package called TAL Breakout for over 15
> > > years.
> > > It is actually a demo of a commercial offering, but the free version

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 10:29 PM madscientistatlarge
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a dead link, even after fixing the ".org//" part.
<snip>

Strange, it works for me both with and without the extra /. That's in
Firefox, perhaps another browser is unhappy with it for some reason?

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

madscientistatlarge
Probably my somewhat ancient version of firefox, with tor I get the page but tor crashes as soon as I try to download it.  Doubtless something about my system.  Thanks.  Great links from people today in general.

On Friday, October 2, 2020 8:35 PM, Josh Koffman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 10:29 PM madscientistatlarge
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > That's a dead link, even after fixing the ".org//" part.
>
> <snip>

Manu Abraham-2
Have not used Sigrok, but it looks promising ..
maybe someone having operational experience can comment.

Sigrok is open source, appears to support a plethora of hardware
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware
The list appears quite long ..

It appears to have different protocol decoders, like the Saleae Logic
https://sigrok.org/blog/

Hmm.. It does support the Salea hardware too.. Interesting

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 1:06 AM Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've found USB-to-RS485 cables, but the software will be the important
> thing here.
> Definitely not worth writing any software for this short-term project...
> do you know of anything open-source or low-cost that's better than just
> a terminal reading streaming data?
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.
>

> On 10/1/2020 3:01 PM, Alan Pearce wrote:
> > There are USB-485 dongles out there, so use one of these with normal
> > terminal software?
> > Or come up with your own program to interpret the data stream if it
> > isn't printable characters.
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 19:05, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Anyone have a recommendation for a budget RS-485 sniffer/analyzer?
> >> With software, under $50 would be nice.  Under $100 is workable.
> >> Will be testing some things for someone else for a few weeks, so it's
> >> not something I do regularly enough to warrany buying a fancy tester.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> -Neil.

Re: [EE] RS-485 analyzer/sniffer?

Jesse Lackey
Hi, its better than just a terminal reading streaming data, but only a
little.  Realterm:
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/>
Sometimes it's just the thing: print incoming in hex (+ascii, your
choice), and send ascii/hex/dump a file/log a file.  Quirky, useful,
freeeeeeee.