[EE] Recommendation for used logic analyzer

[EE] Recommendation for used logic analyzer

Ryan C. Underwood-3

Hi,

I have up to $500 to spend on a used logic analyzer.  Most of the time I
will be dealing with relatively low frequencies (1-1000KHz), but I would
defintely want a large capture memory and high frequency (<= 1GHz)
capability if necessity strikes.  A reliable unit and/or one that can be
repaired by the user would be a plus as well.

Thanks!

--
Ryan Underwood, <[hidden email]>

Re: [EE] Recommendation for used logic analyzer

Ryan C. Underwood-3

Replying to myself:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:37:33AM -0500, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> I have up to $500 to spend on a used logic analyzer.  Most of the time I
> will be dealing with relatively low frequencies (1-1000KHz), but I would
> defintely want a large capture memory and high frequency (<= 1GHz)
> capability if necessity strikes.  A reliable unit and/or one that can be
> repaired by the user would be a plus as well.

I might add that I find the BitScope (http://www.bitscope.com) to be
rather attractive due to its open design, but I was wondering if it is
possible to do better on a unit from a larger vendor on the used market.
I would be looking at the BS310U model.

Also remember that while I've used a HP logic analyzer a few times, I'm
still relatively new to this area, so maybe I need to be told what I
need by somebody too... :)

--
Ryan Underwood, <[hidden email]>

Re: [EE] Recommendation for used logic analyzer

Mike Hord
> I have up to $500 to spend on a used logic analyzer.  Most of the time I
> will be dealing with relatively low frequencies (1-1000KHz), but I would
> defintely want a large capture memory and high frequency (<= 1GHz)
> capability if necessity strikes.  A reliable unit and/or one that can be
> repaired by the user would be a plus as well.

There's a big ol' HP LA at the local university surplus warehouse (Ames,
IA, USA) for US$350.  It has the manual and pods, but no clips for the
pods (although those may be elsewhere, and could easily and cheaply
be made after the fact)(I think the precision component is the cable to
the pod, not the clips themselves).

If you're interested, let me know and I'll pass along directions to the
warehouse.  Or, for that matter, I MAY be cajoled into trying to buy
it and ship it (though shipping would be a bearcat- it's pretty darn big).

Mike H.