[EE] Thermally Protected Motor

Bob Blick-5
See if you can spot the thermally protected motor in my bathroom exhaust fan.

ExhaustFan.jpg (61K) Download Attachment

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

David VanHorn-2
It's still there isn't it?  ;)     must have been an interesting morning

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 2:43 PM Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See if you can spot the thermally protected motor in my bathroom exhaust
> fan.--

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

James Cameron-2
Ouch.  Reminds me.  Got a thermal camera recently, a Fluke PTi120.
While it can find LM7805's and thermally challenged motors, it has
some secondary uses;

- seeing kangaroos in the paddock, if we bypass the windows,

- finding water that has leaked under carpet,

- is my lunch hot enough yet,

- did we leave something switched on,

- which chair were we sitting in before we got up,

- which segments of an air conditioner blower fan are blocked by the
  dust storms,

- effectiveness of square plastic milk bottles as insulation (so far
  not effective),

- where not to drill into a freezer or fridge to insert a temperature
  probe,

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

Peter Loron
They are fun, aren’t they? I’ve got a FLIR One Pro. It is surprisingly sensitive. I quick touch with a finger is enough to make a very visible different in temperature. You can see the studs inside a wall.

I found an outlet that was a potential fire hazard. Was notably warmer than others even with nothing plugged into it. Replacement outlet is normal.

> On May 1, 2020, at 14:56, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ouch.  Reminds me.  Got a thermal camera recently, a Fluke PTi120.
> While it can find LM7805's and thermally challenged motors, it has
> some secondary uses;
>
> - seeing kangaroos in the paddock, if we bypass the windows,
>
> - finding water that has leaked under carpet,
>
> - is my lunch hot enough yet,
>
> - did we leave something switched on,
>
> - which chair were we sitting in before we got up,
>
> - which segments of an air conditioner blower fan are blocked by the
>  dust storms,
>
> - effectiveness of square plastic milk bottles as insulation (so far
>  not effective),
>
> - where not to drill into a freezer or fridge to insert a temperature
>  probe,

> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

I wasn't in the house when it started. It was frantic work in the attic. I saved the roof. I don't call 911.

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

James Cameron-2
Yeah, fun, daily, and yes studs are easy now; on the electrical side I
found;

- a power outlet with an integrated earth leakage circuit breaker,

- three power boards, switched six-outlet, with built in red LED power
  indicator; the LEDs no longer glow on two of the boards, but the
  area around them is heated on all three boards,

- a ceiling mounted pull cord toggle switch slightly warm,

- the Radeon GPU heat spreader on one of my iMacs operates hotter
  under Linux than under macOS, probably because of open source
  drivers not having the education they need to operate properly,

- air conditioners on standby show heat from their integrated power
  supply transformer,

- the motors in computer case block fans look warm; you'd think they'd
  have adequate cooling, until you remember where they are in the
  airflow.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

David VanHorn-2
I have the flir one as well.. The price finally got down to affordable.
Great tool

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 6:20 PM James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, fun, daily, and yes studs are easy now; on the electrical side I
> found;
>
> - a power outlet with an integrated earth leakage circuit breaker,
>
> - three power boards, switched six-outlet, with built in red LED power
>   indicator; the LEDs no longer glow on two of the boards, but the
>   area around them is heated on all three boards,
>
> - a ceiling mounted pull cord toggle switch slightly warm,
>
> - the Radeon GPU heat spreader on one of my iMacs operates hotter
>   under Linux than under macOS, probably because of open source
>   drivers not having the education they need to operate properly,
>
> - air conditioners on standby show heat from their integrated power
>   supply transformer,
>
> - the motors in computer case block fans look warm; you'd think they'd
>   have adequate cooling, until you remember where they are in the
>   airflow.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

Justin Richards
Gravel and blue metal look like a bed of hot coals or larva after a warm
day and the surface is cooling.

Fans behind a grill invisible to the naked eye clearly shows the faulty
ones.

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 10:19:48AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> - three power boards, switched six-outlet, with built in red LED
>   power indicator; the LEDs no longer glow on two of the boards, but
>   the area around them is heated on all three boards,

New one from stock got warm and stank.

A red LED 5mm round package and a 68k 5% 2W resistor mounted on
a small PCB.

http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/tmp/.20200508-pcb.png

250V AC 50 Hz active -> LED -> resistor -> neutral.

Thermal camera showed the resistor was hot, and nothing else.

Couldn't be bothered returning it, so I cut the resistor out and
marked the front face with a cross over the LED.

Resistor was tested as 67.7k

Guess the stink was from resistor, PCB, or a conformal coating.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [EE] Thermally Protected Motor

James Cameron-2
Some recent discoveries;

- locating powered sensors in an unfamiliar room,

- assessing how well laundry is drying indoors; any moisture causes a
  significant temperature drop due to evaporation, and fully dry items
  acquire background temperature,

- measuring technique of clothes iron, ironing board, and different
  clothing types,

- figuring out which pair of glasses were just put down on a desk.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

[OT] Thermal camera use cases

James Cameron-2
Further thermal camera use cases ...

- check rain water tank levels, (except twice a day when ambient is
  too close to the water temperature),

- check composting toilet out-of-service reaction vessel progress,

- check if a pigeon nested on my roof, (yes; a common bronzewing, two
  eggs),

- allegedly also koalas, but yet to verify by myself.

On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:38:45PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:

> Some recent discoveries;
>
> - locating powered sensors in an unfamiliar room,
>
> - assessing how well laundry is drying indoors; any moisture causes a
>   significant temperature drop due to evaporation, and fully dry items
>   acquire background temperature,
>
> - measuring technique of clothes iron, ironing board, and different
>   clothing types,
>
> - figuring out which pair of glasses were just put down on a desk.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [OT] Thermal camera use cases

John Gardner
Koalas nesting on your roof?  How's that work?      "8)

On 11/10/20, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Further thermal camera use cases ...
>
> - check rain water tank levels, (except twice a day when ambient is
>   too close to the water temperature),
>
> - check composting toilet out-of-service reaction vessel progress,
>
> - check if a pigeon nested on my roof, (yes; a common bronzewing, two
>   eggs),
>
> - allegedly also koalas, but yet to verify by myself.
>
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:38:45PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
>> Some recent discoveries;
>>
>> - locating powered sensors in an unfamiliar room,
>>
>> - assessing how well laundry is drying indoors; any moisture causes a
>>   significant temperature drop due to evaporation, and fully dry items
>>   acquire background temperature,
>>
>> - measuring technique of clothes iron, ironing board, and different
>>   clothing types,
>>
>> - figuring out which pair of glasses were just put down on a desk.  ;-)
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [OT] Thermal camera use cases

James Cameron-2
Not well.  ;-)

However, thermal cameras on drones ...
https://theconversation.com/the-140332

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 04:35:00PM -0600, John Gardner wrote:

> Koalas nesting on your roof?  How's that work?      "8)

> On 11/10/20, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Further thermal camera use cases ...
> >
> > - check rain water tank levels, (except twice a day when ambient is
> >   too close to the water temperature),
> >
> > - check composting toilet out-of-service reaction vessel progress,
> >
> > - check if a pigeon nested on my roof, (yes; a common bronzewing, two
> >   eggs),
> >
> > - allegedly also koalas, but yet to verify by myself.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:38:45PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> >> Some recent discoveries;
> >>
> >> - locating powered sensors in an unfamiliar room,
> >>
> >> - assessing how well laundry is drying indoors; any moisture causes a
> >>   significant temperature drop due to evaporation, and fully dry items
> >>   acquire background temperature,
> >>
> >> - measuring technique of clothes iron, ironing board, and different
> >>   clothing types,
> >>
> >> - figuring out which pair of glasses were just put down on a desk.  ;-)
> >
> > --
> > James Cameron
> > http://quozl.netrek.org/

James Cameron