[EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

[EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

RussellMc
https://github.com/cpetrich/counterfeit_DS18B20

... unless you bought the chips directly from Maxim Integrated
<https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/sensors/DS18B20.html> (or
Dallas Semiconductor in the old days), an authorized distributor
<https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/aboutus/contact-us/distributor-offices.html>
(DigiKey,
RS, Farnell, Mouser, etc.), or a big retailer, or you took exceptionally
good care purchasing waterproofed DS18B20 probes. We bought over 1000
"waterproof" probes or bare chips from more than 70 different vendors on
ebay, AliExpress, and online stores -big and small- in 2019. All of the
probes bought on ebay and AliExpress contained counterfeit DS18B20 sensors,
and almost all sensors bought on those two sites were counterfeit.

Author: Chris Petrich, 25 July 2020. License: CC BY. Source:
https://github.com/cpetrich/counterfeit_DS18B20/

(Sensor information based on sensors or probes ordered well into 2020
rather than in or around 2019 are marked "*(2020)*".)

Re: [EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

Neil
I'd be surprised if anyone on here is surprised by this.
I've always just "known"/accepted that an expensive part from an
American company coming from the far east at maybe 1/10th the price
couldn't be real.  I expected it would be very inaccurate, but not
surprised about the functional issues they mentioned.

Cheers,
-Neil.

On 7/25/2020 8:19 AM, RussellMc wrote:

> https://github.com/cpetrich/counterfeit_DS18B20
>
> ... unless you bought the chips directly from Maxim Integrated
> <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/sensors/DS18B20.html> (or
> Dallas Semiconductor in the old days), an authorized distributor
> <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/aboutus/contact-us/distributor-offices.html>
> (DigiKey,
> RS, Farnell, Mouser, etc.), or a big retailer, or you took exceptionally
> good care purchasing waterproofed DS18B20 probes. We bought over 1000
> "waterproof" probes or bare chips from more than 70 different vendors on
> ebay, AliExpress, and online stores -big and small- in 2019. All of the
> probes bought on ebay and AliExpress contained counterfeit DS18B20 sensors,
> and almost all sensors bought on those two sites were counterfeit.
>
> Author: Chris Petrich, 25 July 2020. License: CC BY. Source:
> https://github.com/cpetrich/counterfeit_DS18B20/
>
> (Sensor information based on sensors or probes ordered well into 2020
> rather than in or around 2019 are marked "*(2020)*".)

Re: [EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

peter green-2
On 25/07/2020 15:24, Neil wrote:
> I'd be surprised if anyone on here is surprised by this.
> I've always just "known"/accepted that an expensive part from an
> American company coming from the far east at maybe 1/10th the price
> couldn't be real.  I expected it would be very inaccurate, but not
> surprised about the functional issues they mentioned.

Yeah, if you buy your chips from ebay/aliexpress/amazon marketplace
you pretty much expect to get fakes.

The issue with things like these temperature sensors (and also things
like USB to serial converters) is you often don't want a raw chip.
You want the chip packaged up in some form. The question becomes
how does one identify packagers who use legitimately sourced chips
verses ones who source their chips from dodgy far-east sources.

Re: [EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

I look forward to his purchases of Burr-Brown opamps, Omron solid state relays, Honeywell hall-effect sensors, and Sanken power transistors. Or perhaps he's already learned enough :)

Friendly regards, Bob

Author: Chris Petrich, 25 July 2020. License: CC BY. Source:
https://github.com/cpetrich/counterfeit_DS18B20/

(Sensor information based on sensors or probes ordered well into 2020
rather than in or around 2019 are marked "*(2020)*".)

Re: [EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

Manu Abraham-2
Has someone found a smaller electrolytic capacitor in a large can
electrolytic capacitor ?
Getting more difficult to identify between fakes and the real ones, as
days pass!

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 10:26 AM Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I look forward to his purchases of Burr-Brown opamps, Omron solid state relays, Honeywell hall-effect sensors, and Sanken power transistors. Or perhaps he's already learned enough :)
>
> Friendly regards, Bob

Clint Jay
Yes, I've even built a few but that was for restoration purposes.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 at 07:28, Manu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has someone found a smaller electrolytic capacitor in a large can
> electrolytic capacitor ?
> Getting more difficult to identify between fakes and the real ones, as
> days pass!
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 10:26 AM Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I look forward to his purchases of Burr-Brown opamps, Omron solid state
> relays, Honeywell hall-effect sensors, and Sanken power transistors. Or
> perhaps he's already learned enough :)
> >
> > Friendly regards, Bob

Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Re: [EE]:: Your DS18B20 temperature sensor is likely a fake, counterfeit, clone...

  BCCs - interest only.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 at 02:25, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be surprised if anyone on here is surprised by this.
> I've always just "known"/accepted that an expensive part from an
> American company coming from the far east at maybe 1/10th the price
> couldn't be real.  I expected it would be very inaccurate, but not
> surprised about the functional issues they mentioned.
>
> I was not 'shock horror'ing but rather noting due to the well documented
specifics  rather than the often alleged "made at midnight and weekend" and
out of spec partgs and.
In this case the part numbers tell you what MAY be real and what isn't.

The following is very specifically *not* trying to make any point, to prove
or disprove anything or to say anyone or anything is right or wrong or
whatever. It just comes under interesting/whatever/I wonder?

To add to the interest in this case - LCSC is a top end in-China
distributor that tends to be reliable and reputable. They don't say that
you MIGHT NOT get fakes / clones / ... through them but do say that if you
do then they will refund your $ (assuming you notice :-)).
While that may be what you hope is the case from any vendor, it's better
than you may otherwise get in China.
[I have never yet bought from LCSC. I hope to.]

Longish ago I had a (Chinese) manufacturer (of LEDs) who had upmarket test
equipment, and who provided my client with faked burn in test results, and
when my test results did not match theirs they suggested to him that mine
were in error. He managed to believe the correct claims :-).

LCSC sell 7  versions of the DS18B20  - $ -
https://lcsc.com/search?q=ds18b20
4 branded Maxim
3 branded UMW (Youtal Semiconductor limited)

The UMW versions are probably type B1 in his writeup.

In 1000 quantity prices are
Maxim   0.89  1.07  1.37  1.43
UMW     0.50  0.55  0.49

In 1000's Digikey charge $2.46 to $2.65 for DS18B20

[FWIW: I consider it entirely reasonable for Digikey to charge higher
prices for a range of reasons. I am not intending any comment on pricing
(or much else)].

I have met numerous Chinese datasheets which have been copied with varying
degrees of modification - sometimes over several manufacturers serially. It
is often possible to trace the source.

UMW provides a separate datasheet for each of their parts (in Chinese).
Page count similar to that of an Intel part.

At a quick skim - the Intel and UMW datasheets are substantially different.
Certainly not an obvious cut and paste - even allowing for translation.
Diagrams, tables, charts ... differ.
Locations of information differ.

In the original article (which I skimmed+) they mentioned lack of eprom in
the clone parts they had met.
The UMW parts have extensive notes on EEPROM / Scratchpad control.

SO - ARE the UMW parts as good / in their spec / up to Maxim spec /
authorised / ...?
His B1 part writeup probably covers this.

Digikey $ -
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/sensors-transducers/temperature-sensors-analog-and-digital-output/518/page/1?k=ds18b20&quantity=1000&ColumnSort=1000011&pkeyword=ds18b20

UMW datasheets via LCSC
Not compared