Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

CDB-3
There is conflicting information in the datasheet concerning where and how
to switch off the analogue pins for the above chip downloaded from E-14's
website (dated 2009).

The PDF on the Microchip website (39931d.pdf dated 2011) appears to be
correct.

In the E-14 download, page 129 gives example code to switch off the
analogue pins with the standard  ADCON1 = 0x07 and CMCON = 0x07.

This is incorrect! The registers are ANCON0 = 0xFF, ANCON1 = 0x1F (for all
digital pins) and the comparators are off at reset.

Colin

--
cdb,  on 5/08/2012

Re: Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

Jan-Erik Söderholm
cdb wrote 2012-08-05 12:50:

> There is conflicting information in the datasheet concerning where and how
> to switch off the analogue pins for the above chip downloaded from E-14's
> website (dated 2009).
>
> The PDF on the Microchip website (39931d.pdf dated 2011) appears to be
> correct.
>
> In the E-14 download, page 129 gives example code to switch off the
> analogue pins with the standard  ADCON1 = 0x07 and CMCON = 0x07.
>
> This is incorrect! The registers are ANCON0 = 0xFF, ANCON1 = 0x1F (for all
> digital pins) and the comparators are off at reset.
>

> Colin

Is "E-14" a distributor ?
If so, they have an older datasheet online.
Not that uncommon.

But, why not simply use the one from Microchip ?
There is usualy a reason a datasheet is updated.

Complaining about an error in an *old* datasheet doesn't
seems to be worth the bandwidth, if you ask me. :-)

Best Regards!
Jan-Erik.

Re: Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

peter green-2
cdb wrote:
> There is conflicting information in the datasheet concerning where and how
> to switch off the analogue pins for the above chip downloaded from E-14's
> website (dated 2009).
If you are going to complain to anyone I would suggest you  complain to
E-14 (i
presume this is a reference to "element 14" (aka farnell) that they are
providing
an inaccurate and outdated datasheet.

I would also suggest that where possible you get your datasheets from the
manufacturers rather than from distributors. I get the impression that
distributors
often throw up a datasheet when they first list a product and never touch it
again.

Re: Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

CDB-3
For crying out loud, I'm not complaining, I was informing the list of a
potential problem.

Just because I'm British, doesn't mean when I make a statement or ask a
question it's a complaint, contrary to what other so called people seem to
think in the area of the world in which I have the misfortune to live and
apparently from self important little countries straddling the pacific and
atlantic oceans..

And yes, I have attempted to draw FARNELL/ELEMENT- 14, NEWARK,
FARNELLINONE, FARNELL- EXPORT (there is that better you won't have to
bother the grey matter now) attention to the fact.

It is also the datasheet that ELEMENT-14 or is that FELEMENT as others have
been known to call it with out being picked on by people with little else
to do, that they offer for use by beginners of electronics as part of the
Flow Code kit.

Sorry to have thought I was being of help to someone in the future, it will
not happen again.

--
cdb, [hidden email] on 7/08/2012

Web presence: www.btech-online.co.uk

Hosted by:  www.justhost.com.au

This email is to be considered private if addressed to a named  individual
or Personnel Department, and public if addressed to a blog,  forum or news
article.

Re: Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

John Ferrell
Play nice guys!
There are many of us out here in cyberspace that look forward to your
discussions.

We are all diminished when someone is offended.
Conflicting positions are helpful in many cases but even unintentional
criticism can be destructive to the common good.

Add to the mix language and cultural differences and there are sure to
be unintended consequences!

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
“During times of universal deceit,

Re: Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

Jan-Erik Söderholm
OK.

I seemed to have been starting this...

First I'd like to say sorry to Colin. It was not ment
to, hm, come out as it did.

Then, maybe we can agree on two things:

A. Always use the latest datasheet.
B. Never use a datasheet from a distributor.

Regards,
Jan-Erik.

John Ferrell wrote 2012-08-07 15:35:

> Play nice guys!
> There are many of us out here in cyberspace that look forward to your
> discussions.
>
> We are all diminished when someone is offended.
> Conflicting positions are helpful in many cases but even unintentional
> criticism can be destructive to the common good.
>
> Add to the mix language and cultural differences and there are sure to
> be unintended consequences!
>
> On 8/6/2012 3:51 PM, cdb wrote:
>> For crying out loud, I'm not complaining, I was informing the list of a
>> potential problem.
>>
>> Just because I'm British, doesn't mean when I make a statement or ask a
>> question it's a complaint, contrary to what other so called people seem to
>> think in the area of the world in which I have the misfortune to live and
>> apparently from self important little countries straddling the pacific and
>> atlantic oceans..
>>
>> And yes, I have attempted to draw FARNELL/ELEMENT- 14, NEWARK,
>> FARNELLINONE, FARNELL- EXPORT (there is that better you won't have to
>> bother the grey matter now) attention to the fact.
>>
>> It is also the datasheet that ELEMENT-14 or is that FELEMENT as others have
>> been known to call it with out being picked on by people with little else
>> to do, that they offer for use by beginners of electronics as part of the
>> Flow Code kit.
>>
>> Sorry to have thought I was being of help to someone in the future, it will
>> not happen again.
>>

>> --
>> cdb, [hidden email] on 7/08/2012
>>
>> Web presence: www.btech-online.co.uk
>>
>> Hosted by:  www.justhost.com.au
>>

>> This email is to be considered private if addressed to a named  individual
>> or Personnel Department, and public if addressed to a blog,  forum or news
>> article.

Re: Errors in early 18F26J50 datasheet.

CDB-3
::First I'd like to say sorry to Colin. It was not ment
::to, hm, come out as it did.

Thank you Jan-Erik, I managed to read your post in the wrong mood and I
hadn't even arrived at work. Being told I'm a complaining pom is wearing a
bit thin in my life.

Element-14 have contacted me and asked me to provide them with the link of
the out of date datasheet.

In most cases (though not all) I do go by the manufacturers datasheet, it
just happened that I 'Road Tested' the E-14/Matrixmultimedia Flow Code kit
as a Road Tester back in March. The other day I went to use the board for
something else and realised the demo code (from a compiler supplier) and
the datasheet were incorrect when setting up the chip.

Colin

--
cdb, [hidden email] on 8/08/2012