Fw: [EE] CDMA or something similar....to send data over cell links

Fw: [EE] CDMA or something similar....to send data over cell links

Roy J. Gromlich
There are quite a few companies out there right now making CDMA or
GPRS data modems for the cellular phone service(s).  They are NOT
simple devices.  The earlier statement that they must be approved by the
FCC is the easy part - the carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc.)  must also
approve
the system, and each carrier has its own protocols and requirements for
allowing foreign devices to connect to their wireless network.

 Not only must the radio modem device be approved (Kyocera makes a nice
module, which has been approved by all of the carriers), but the final
system
you design/build with that pre-approved module must then be submitted each
carrier for approval in turn. This process can take anywhere from 3 months
a year. I have not personnaly done  this, because the Kyocera factory
engineer
told me the entire process from  start to finish can run you $10,000 or
more.
So we buy our CDMA data modems from those companies who had the deep
pockets to go through the approval process.

 Take a look at www.airlink.com to see what a cellular modem looks like.

 RJG