Fwd: 9934116 Prototype Follow-up

RussellMc
Eric

- My cardiac PVI surgery was postponed for one week (until March 31st) due
to covid-19 issues.

- New Zealand is going into full "lock down" / quarantine from midnight on
Wednesday (tomorrow)
  Most businesses will be closed and travel will be extremely restricted.
  At this stage the lock-down is expected to last 4 weeks.

- Wednesday (tomorrow) is the last day that I will be permitted to travel
freely or to buy equipment.
  I have accordingly had to make some rapid decisions and purchases in
order to be able to work on the prototype .
  I have not yet completed the description of what is involved in producing
a low cost final version based on the prototype.
  I will be able to work on the prototype during the NZ 'lock-down' if I
complete the purchases listed below (subject to my health being OK - which
I expect it to be).

  Purchases

I have ordered a used GAST 4080 dry rotary vane vacuum pump.
This is slightly larger than necessary but will be an excellent test bed.

I have arranged to purchase tomorrow Wednesday a low cost SUP of suitable
size. It has a maximum pressure rating of 15 psi (as opposed to the 20 psi
of the challenge specification) but can be tested at up to 15 psi initially
while establishing pump power/air-volume-time data, and then will probably
withstand 20 psi in subsequent tests.

I have not yet purchased the target brushless motor (from China) but have a
number of smaller brushless motors which will allow me to experiment in the
interim.

I will consider buying extra related motor & control equipment tomorrow but
probably will not need to.

*Questions:*
1. Please confirm that you are happy with these proposals.
If for any reason you do not wish me to proceed the GAST pump is the only
firm expenditure commitment that I have made.
2. You have paid money for capital cost of prototype development to
Innocentive.
They are holding this money in trust.
Please confirm that you are happy for this money to be paid to me by
Innocentive.

Re: 9934116 Prototype Follow-up

RussellMc
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 21:52, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:...

Agh. Sorry. I haven't managed such a gross faux pas for a long time (as far
as I know).
I don't know what keypresses turned into an autocomplete list address :-(.
Please eat message and swallow unread.

Seeing I mentioned it :-).

The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
procedure these days.
What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
required.
It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the entry
point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitropus \oxide to
hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
tissue around the veing entry point.
Ai is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc with
ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
relatively benign.

What fun we have.

Re: 9934116 Prototype Follow-up

Brent Brown-2
All the best Russell. As the whole country is in CoVid lockdown for the next 4 weeks
you may as well be doing recovery at the same time~! Hope they get you in and out
before the virus scene worsens.

On 24 Mar 2020 at 23:46, RussellMc wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 21:52, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:...
>
> Agh. Sorry. I haven't managed such a gross faux pas for a long time (as far
> as I know).
> I don't know what keypresses turned into an autocomplete list address :-(.
> Please eat message and swallow unread.
>
> Seeing I mentioned it :-).
>
> The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
> procedure these days.
> What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
> nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
> required.
> It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
> Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
> hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
> entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the entry
> point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitropus \oxide to
> hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
> tissue around the veing entry point.
> Ai is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc with
> ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
> relatively benign.
>
> What fun we have.
>

>            Russell

Re: 9934116 Prototype Follow-up

RussellMc
Update :-)

Cardiac PVI postponed indefinitely due to virus.

                     Russell

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 14:08, Brent Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All the best Russell. As the whole country is in CoVid lockdown for the
> next 4 weeks
> you may as well be doing recovery at the same time~! Hope they get you in
> and out
> before the virus scene worsens.

Re: 9934116 Prototype Follow-up

Richard Prosser
Hopefully that refers to the local situation & not something personal!
RP

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 19:01, Richard Prosser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Cardiac PVI postponed indefinitely due to virus.

> Hopefully that refers to the local situation & not something personal!

Yes. Whole country situation.
Sorry - it did not occur to me that it could be easily read that way.

Personally, I think it MIGHT be good to be able to encounter the beastie at
this stage and have done. The healthcare system is relatively in control
here so far. Later on it may not be. That's assuming that it does not
rerereinfect - as it seems MAY be the case for some people, and that there
are not other ongoing effects which we do not yet know enough about (which
also it appears JUST MAY be the case).
I'm on the lower end of the rising death rate with age curve, and while I
have a number of health 'challenges' I do not think that I am liable to be
overly biased towards fatality. Either we all have to get it sooner or
later, or a vaccine will be produced. The time to a well available known
effective vaccine may be short, but probably not.

At present I'm trying hard to stay under cover.

Re: 9934116 Prototype Follow-up

John Ferrell
I think it best to not rush into anything unless you have some credible
data to work with. So far various sources seem to be working with
ambiguous information. I have always been led to believe that all virus
slip through a cotton mask with ease. Some suggest that those exposed
wear double up on gloves. I don't understand how these  critters move
among victims. What kind of environment do they require to survive? What
is their life cycle? How do they reproduce?

What is the effect of steroids  (especially predisone  and testosterone).

Enough of my ranting, I am following Rules and Policies as I understand
them.

<caution-religous statement> May God bless you and yours...

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
    Julian NC 27283

[OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

RussellMc
TL/DR:          Image only bit.ly/oggmask02 :-)

Subject line changed.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 16:37, John Ferrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it best to not rush into anything unless you have some credible

data to work with. So far various sources seem to be working with
> ambiguous information.

There is a lot of good data - but not enough hard certainty about what it
tells us, yet.

> I have always been led to believe that all virus
> slip through a cotton mask with ease.

Filter needs to be 0.1 micron and THEN have additional useful properties.
N95 masks stop notionally 95% of 0.1 um objects. %% pass through doesn't
sound very encouraging :-).
N99 also available.

I wear an N100 when going out and yesterday added a face shield as well.
Chances of meeting the but here are so far low. Lower than low suits me
with my stats.
[I'm actually healthy enough but I don't look good on paper :-) ].

I use two basic masks with a "gladwrap" plastic layer between - so it is
imp[ervious. I breathe via various edges and use sanitiser on the mask
edges. Stops direct face to face droplets and, most important, face
touching.
Shield is an experiment.
I'm thinking of adding a Starwars imperial navy helmet :-).

For those with facebook this page with image of me relates :-).

What you can now wear in public in NZ without a 2nd glance

        Page  bit.ly/oggmask01

Facebook-free image - link will die "after a while":

        Image only bit.ly/oggmask02

Some suggest that those exposed
> wear double up on gloves. I don't understand how these  critters move
> among victims. What kind of environment do they require to survive? What
> is their life cycle? How do they reproduce?
>
> A few hours on Copper. maybe 4 hours on stainless steel, somewhat longer
on cardboard. Varies.

Maybe 2 hours as aerosol BUT need to be aerosolised to do this - not an
aerosol usually.
Entry by nose/mouth - wipe face with hands.

What is the effect of steroids  (especially predisone  and testosterone).

> Have not seen claims thaty steroids bad.
BUT NSAIDs may be - still uncertain - Ibuprofen thought possibly bad in
SOME cases.

Enough of my ranting, I am following Rules and Policies as I understand
> them.
>
> Don't touch face.
Disinfect incoming goods or leave say 12 hours.
Change clothes and shoes at door if serious.
Wash hands etc incoming.
Wash often internally just in case [tm]
Alcohol 60% and above sanitiser works well.
Soap and water 20 seconds good wash said to work - I have some doubts.

Maintain separation in public
Sanitise each shopping trolley handles etc.

Excessively paranoid behaviour may be OTT and not necessary.
Or not !!!

Re: [OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

John Gardner
All you lack,  Russell,  is a light saber,  w/ The Imperial March

playing ominously in the background...   "8)

But keep doing what you're doing...

On 3/29/20, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> aerosol usually.
> Entry by nose/mouth - wipe face with hands.
>
> What is the effect of steroids  (especially predisone  and testosterone).
>>
>> Have not seen claims thaty steroids bad.
> BUT NSAIDs may be - still uncertain - Ibuprofen thought possibly bad in
> SOME cases.
>
> Enough of my ranting, I am following Rules and Policies as I understand
>> them.
>>
>> Don't touch face.
> Disinfect incoming goods or leave say 12 hours.
> Change clothes and shoes at door if serious.
> Wash hands etc incoming.
> Wash often internally just in case [tm]
> Alcohol 60% and above sanitiser works well.
> Soap and water 20 seconds good wash said to work - I have some doubts.
>
> Maintain separation in public
> Sanitise each shopping trolley handles etc.
>
> Excessively paranoid behaviour may be OTT and not necessary.

RE: [OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

David Van Horn
I suggest PDQ Bach for social distancing.   Bicycle, Bagpipes and tromboon pieces work well.

> [...]

> Entry by nose/mouth - wipe face with hands.
>
> What is the effect of steroids  (especially predisone  and testosterone).
>>
>> Have not seen claims thaty steroids bad.
> BUT NSAIDs may be - still uncertain - Ibuprofen thought possibly bad
> in SOME cases.
>
> Enough of my ranting, I am following Rules and Policies as I
> understand
>> them.
>>
>> Don't touch face.
> Disinfect incoming goods or leave say 12 hours.
> Change clothes and shoes at door if serious.
> Wash hands etc incoming.
> Wash often internally just in case [tm] Alcohol 60% and above
> sanitiser works well.
> Soap and water 20 seconds good wash said to work - I have some doubts.
>
> Maintain separation in public
> Sanitise each shopping trolley handles etc.
>
> Excessively paranoid behaviour may be OTT and not necessary.

Re: [OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

99guspuppet
I have tubs of dilute bleach [DB]  ( 1/4 cup per gallon ) around the house and in my vehicle.  Each tub has a wash clothe.
I dip my gloves in the DB when I go outside.  I have two pairs that I can swap.
When I pickup groceries and other items in their parking lots ….. I wear a paint respirator and a full face shield from Harbor Freight.  I wear a long shirt that is to be sterilized afterwards.  I wear gloves.

I sterilize clothing , heat tolerant items ( receipts , pasta , etc. ) in a insulated box with a temperature controller.  I do 90 minutes at 60 Celcius.  I was doing 70 Celcius and some plastic bags melted.  I am adding a fan to distribute the heat more uniformly and to make the box more responsive to the controller ( or vice versa ).
I wipe items to refrigerate that are in bags with dilute bleach.  I don’t buy any naked fruit or vegetables.

I do not go near groups of people or into buildings.

I have an LED UV lamp ( advertised to be UVC ) in a box to sterilize.  I doubt that it is really UVC.  I am searching for a way to verify the wavelength(s) of the lamp.

I welcome any advice on how to improve my protocol.  I am 68 and physically 70% of my youth.  Or maybe 60%.

I have ordered some HVAC HEPA filters , some HVAC activated charcoal filters, and I am researching electrostatic filters.

I may make a HAZ suit made from kynar , with a clear face shield and positive air pressure provided through a HEPA filter.

I will research the N100 mask you mentioned.

Best

> On 2020m03d29, at 13:43, David Van Horn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I suggest PDQ Bach for social distancing.   Bicycle, Bagpipes and tromboon pieces work well.

Re: [OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

Bob Blick-5
For all the hams.

73 de NS6B

2m distance.jpg (59K) Download Attachment

Re: [OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

Alan Pearce
Nice one Bob. :)

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 20:46, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For all the hams.
>
> 73 de NS6B--

Re: [OT]:: COVID-19 & stuff

Stephen Forrest
HI Can you please cease sending emails to Stephen Forrest as he passed away
in February

regards

andrew forrest

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:24 PM RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> aerosol usually.
> Entry by nose/mouth - wipe face with hands.
>
> What is the effect of steroids  (especially predisone  and testosterone).
> >
> > Have not seen claims thaty steroids bad.
> BUT NSAIDs may be - still uncertain - Ibuprofen thought possibly bad in
> SOME cases.
>
> Enough of my ranting, I am following Rules and Policies as I understand
> > them.
> >
> > Don't touch face.
> Disinfect incoming goods or leave say 12 hours.
> Change clothes and shoes at door if serious.
> Wash hands etc incoming.
> Wash often internally just in case [tm]
> Alcohol 60% and above sanitiser works well.
> Soap and water 20 seconds good wash said to work - I have some doubts.
>
> Maintain separation in public
> Sanitise each shopping trolley handles etc.
>
> Excessively paranoid behaviour may be OTT and not necessary.

[OT] Russell Cardiac PVI - done and doing very well.

UPDATE

Finally had the cardiac PVI 'procedure' on Tuesday this week (3 days ago
now).
Overnight hospital stay only and about zero ill effects.
Will not know for up to 3 months how worthwhile it has been as medication
with side effects will be maintained that long.
But, looking good.

              Russell

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 23:46, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
> procedure these days.
> What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
> nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
> required.
> It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
> Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
> hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
> entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the entry
> point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitrous oxide to
> hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
> tissue around the vein entry point.
> Aim is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc with
> ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
> relatively benign.
>
> What fun we have.
>

>            Russell

Re: [OT] Russell Cardiac PVI - done and doing very well.

Jean-Paul Louis
Russell,
I’m glad to see you well.
Heart surgery is always tricky. Been there, done that.
My cardiologist is trying to convince me to get an implanted defibrillator.
I’m still reluctant though, so I might wait after the COVID-19 scare subsides.

Get well.

Jean-Paul
N1JPL

> On May 8, 2020, at 8:04 AM, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> UPDATE
>
> Finally had the cardiac PVI 'procedure' on Tuesday this week (3 days ago
> now).
> Overnight hospital stay only and about zero ill effects.
> Will not know for up to 3 months how worthwhile it has been as medication
> with side effects will be maintained that long.
> But, looking good.
>
>              Russell
>

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 23:46, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
>> procedure these days.
>> What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
>> nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
>> required.
>> It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
>> Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
>> hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
>> entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the entry
>> point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitrous oxide to
>> hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
>> tissue around the vein entry point.
>> Aim is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc with
>> ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
>> relatively benign.
>>
>> What fun we have.
>>

>>           Russell

RE: [CAUTION: Failed DKIM Test]Re: [OT] Russell Cardiac PVI - done and doing very well.

Allen Mulvey
Jean-Paul,

You should think about this. My mother had one implanted. She said she was sitting in her kitchen and started to fall asleep when she felt like someone punched her hard in the chest and she was awake again. She would have fallen asleep and died but it woke her up. She got another pretty good year or so but then things were not so good. Her body deteriorated but the device would not let her die. It took weeks for her and my sister to get the doctor to turn it off so she could at last be at peace. Instead of simply falling asleep, she suffered a great deal at the end. We had never considered this prospect before. I don't know if she would have said the extra bit of time was worth the unforeseen cost.

Allen

Heart surgery is always tricky. Been there, done that.
My cardiologist is trying to convince me to get an implanted defibrillator.
I’m still reluctant though, so I might wait after the COVID-19 scare subsides.

Get well.

Jean-Paul
N1JPL

> On May 8, 2020, at 8:04 AM, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> UPDATE
>
> Finally had the cardiac PVI 'procedure' on Tuesday this week (3 days ago
> now).
> Overnight hospital stay only and about zero ill effects.
> Will not know for up to 3 months how worthwhile it has been as medication
> with side effects will be maintained that long.
> But, looking good.
>
>              Russell
>

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 23:46, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
>> procedure these days.
>> What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
>> nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
>> required.
>> It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
>> Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
>> hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
>> entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the entry
>> point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitrous oxide to
>> hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
>> tissue around the vein entry point.
>> Aim is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc with
>> ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
>> relatively benign.
>>
>> What fun we have.
>>

>>           Russell

Re: [OT] Russell Cardiac PVI - done and doing very well.

Peter-251
Russell,

I am glad to hear you are on the mend and doing well. Thank you for
sharing the updated news.

I appreciate your Piclist input, I do read more than I post to the
Piclist these days, however I do read what you post.

Get well Russell.

Peter.

On 8/05/2020 10:04 pm, RussellMc wrote:

> UPDATE
>
> Finally had the cardiac PVI 'procedure' on Tuesday this week (3 days ago
> now).
> Overnight hospital stay only and about zero ill effects.
> Will not know for up to 3 months how worthwhile it has been as medication
> with side effects will be maintained that long.
> But, looking good.
>
>                Russell
>

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 23:46, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
>> procedure these days.
>> What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
>> nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
>> required.
>> It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
>> Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
>> hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
>> entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the entry
>> point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitrous oxide to
>> hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
>> tissue around the vein entry point.
>> Aim is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc with
>> ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
>> relatively benign.
>>
>> What fun we have.
>>

>>             Russell

Re: [OT] Russell Cardiac PVI - done and doing very well.

Carlos Marcano
Great to know you are doing fine, Russell. My prayers will ask for your
continuous well being.

Regards,

Carlos.

El vie., 8 may. 2020 9:13 p. m., Peter <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Russell,
>
> I am glad to hear you are on the mend and doing well. Thank you for
> sharing the updated news.
>
> I appreciate your Piclist input, I do read more than I post to the
> Piclist these days, however I do read what you post.
>
> Get well Russell.
>
> Peter.

> On 8/05/2020 10:04 pm, RussellMc wrote:
> > UPDATE
> >
> > Finally had the cardiac PVI 'procedure' on Tuesday this week (3 days ago
> > now).
> > Overnight hospital stay only and about zero ill effects.
> > Will not know for up to 3 months how worthwhile it has been as medication
> > with side effects will be maintained that long.
> > But, looking good.
> >
> >                Russell
> >

> > On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 23:46, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> The 'cardiac surgery'  mentioned is so commonplace as to be termed a
> >> procedure these days.
> >> What once involved open heart surgery now is effectively done by
> >> nano-keyhole catheters. Usually and hopefully only an overnight stay is
> >> required.
> >> It still costs $43,000 - but not out of my pocket.
> >> Two catheters are inserted into a leg vein and run up into the heart. A
> >> hole is punched through an interior wall, one catheter rests in a vein
> >> entry as a monitor / exciter and the other is placed in turn into the
> entry
> >> point of various veins. A 'balloon' is inflated with nitrous oxide to
> >> hold the balloon in place and the expanding gas cools and freezes scar
> >> tissue around the vein entry point.
> >> Aim is to prevent recurring Atrial Fibrillation which can play havoc
> with
> >> ones ability to get the most out of any given day but is otherwise
> >> relatively benign.
> >>
> >> What fun we have.
> >>

> >>             Russell

Re: [OT] Russell Cardiac PVI - done and doing very well.

Richard Prosser
Good to hear things are going well. Best wishes for ongoing improvement
Richard