Quantcast

Interfacing to Optrex IM50240 LCD

Paul Anderson-5
I have an optrex IM50240 LCD, with an HD44100H controller chip.  I've
managed to find a pin out for the ribbon cable, but not much more.
The pinout is thus:

1 - input data
2- latch clock
3- shift clock
4- input square waves of 50% duty cycle
5- NC
6- Vcc +5v
7- GND -
8- SW1 CLEAR
9- SW2 SECURE
10 CHASSIS GND

Unfortunately, I've never communicated with an LCD.  Can someone point
me in the direction of some code to make it work?  Does the HD44100
work similarily to the HD44780?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Paul Anderson
VE3HOP
ivp

Re: Interfacing to Optrex IM50240 LCD

ivp
> Does the HD44100 work similarily to the HD44780?

Hi Paul

No. The HD44100 is a segment driver, not a controller

Re: Interfacing to Optrex IM50240 LCD

Jan-Erik Soderholm
Since your module seems to have an single input data-pin,
I guess it's s some kind of serial interface. HD44780
is 8/4 bit parr interface...

 > Unfortunately, I've never communicated with an LCD.

I guess that *this one* is not the right one to start with...

Regards,
Jan-Erik.

ivp

Re: Interfacing to Optrex IM50240 LCD

ivp
> I guess that *this one* is not the right one to start with...

No, not a good first LCD project. A more standard one
with a 44780 interface would be much friendlier to work
with. A 16x1 will usually have just a 44780, 44100s are
added for more lines/characters, the appropriate one
getting its information from the 44780 via the value in the
address register

Some time ago I bought a load of surplus ex-FedEx LCDs
(I think they were off parcel scales). Big 4x40 quad-height
backlit screens, very nice. They have no controller chip, just
NEC D7227 segment drivers. Still not got around to fully
programming a PIC as a controller. You'll also often find
old laptop LCD screens that have just a dozen or more
44100s or similar, control coming from the mobo

RE: Interfacing to Optrex IM50240 LCD

Wouter van Ooijen
> > 1 - input data
> > 2- latch clock
> > 3- shift clock
> > 4- input square waves of 50% duty cycle
> > 5- NC
> > 6- Vcc +5v
> > 7- GND -
> > 8- SW1 CLEAR
> > 9- SW2 SECURE
> > 10 CHASSIS GND
> >
> > Unfortunately, I've never communicated with an LCD.  Can
> someone point
> > me in the direction of some code to make it work?  Does the HD44100
> > work similarily to the HD44780?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

IIRC the HD44100 is often used as extension (slave) for a HD44780, or as
slave for graphical controller chips. It is not a controller, just a
driver. You have to supply the pixel data, over and over, at the right
frequency, and with the accompanying clock signals. Definitely not
recommended for a 'first go' at an LCD.

Wouter van Ooijen

Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: www.voti.nl/hvu