Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Pete Calinski
Hello,

I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?

Is the chip for sale anywhere?

If not, what have people migrated to?  In my application, I used the
counter/timer to know, within 20 ns. when an interrupt occurred.  I don'
know if there is another chip out there that can do that.  Does anybody?

I used the Scenix programmer that ran off the parallel port with a program
that ran under Windows 98.  I just tried it under XP and it won't run.  Does
anybody have an updated version of the program?  Note, every link I can find
to the program is broken.  The one on this site can get the archived circuit
diagram but not the program.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,

Pete

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Marc Nicholas-2
www.parallax.com.

They own the IP for the dies now...no further development will be done
AFAIK.

-marc

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Pete Calinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?
>
> Is the chip for sale anywhere?
>
> If not, what have people migrated to?  In my application, I used the
> counter/timer to know, within 20 ns. when an interrupt occurred.  I don'
> know if there is another chip out there that can do that.  Does anybody?
>
> I used the Scenix programmer that ran off the parallel port with a program
> that ran under Windows 98.  I just tried it under XP and it won't run.
>  Does
> anybody have an updated version of the program?  Note, every link I can
> find
> to the program is broken.  The one on this site can get the archived
> circuit
> diagram but not the program.
>
> Any other advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
>
> Pete

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Martin Klingensmith
Pete Calinski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?

Parallax owns the SX now:
http://www.parallax.com/
-
Martin

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

M. Adam Davis-2
Parallax is the only supplier/distributer for the Scenix/SX:

http://parallax.com/tabid/248/Default.aspx

Ubicom has all but expunged "SX" and "Scenix" from their website,
though to my knowledge they are still the owner or manufacturer of
that product.

You should be able to find programming info, compilers, and such there
that applies to widnows xp.

-Adam

On 8/21/08, Pete Calinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?
>
> Is the chip for sale anywhere?
>
> If not, what have people migrated to?  In my application, I used the
> counter/timer to know, within 20 ns. when an interrupt occurred.  I don'
> know if there is another chip out there that can do that.  Does anybody?
>
> I used the Scenix programmer that ran off the parallel port with a program
> that ran under Windows 98.  I just tried it under XP and it won't run.  Does
> anybody have an updated version of the program?  Note, every link I can find
> to the program is broken.  The one on this site can get the archived circuit
> diagram but not the program.
>
> Any other advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
>
> Pete

EARTH DAY 2008
Tuesday April 22
Save Money * Save Oil * Save Lives * Save the Planet
http://www.driveslowly.org

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Josh Koffman
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Pete Calinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?
>
> Is the chip for sale anywhere?

Hi Pete, welcome to the list! Parallax sells the SX chips now. Their
site is http://www.parallax.com/

I hope that helps!

Josh
fools.
 -Douglas Adams

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Dwayne Reid
At 08:36 AM 8/21/2008, Pete Calinski wrote:

>I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
>and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
>know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?
>
>Is the chip for sale anywhere?

<www.parallax.com>  Click on the big "SX" logo near the top of the page.

Parallax purchased the distribution rights for the Scenix family.

dwayne

--
Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Spehro Pefhany
Quoting Pete Calinski <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?

As others have said, Parallax is the owner.

For a new design that requires high timer resolution you might want to look
at the C8051F353R from Silabs (50MHz, they also have 100MHz) or the 40-MIPS
PIC24. More CISC-y than RISC-y, I know, but probably longer design life 4U.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--
"it's the network..."                          "The Journey is the reward"
[hidden email]             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Funny NYPD
Cygnal sure is a good silicon designer expect its price. It has much less silicon errata than microchip.
And they used to be a fabless supplier. Not sure they now manufactur in-house or not after join silicon-lab.

 Funny N.
Au Group Electronics, New Bedford, MA, http://www.AuElectronics.com

> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a project
> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?

As others have said, Parallax is the owner.

For a new design that requires high timer resolution you might want to look
at the C8051F353R from Silabs (50MHz, they also have 100MHz) or the 40-MIPS
PIC24. More CISC-y than RISC-y, I know, but probably longer design life 4U.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--
"it's the network..."                          "The Journey is the reward"
[hidden email]             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Pete Calinski
The C8051 looks good.  It is superior to the other 8051s I looked at because
it will clock the timer with the system clock.  The others use SC/4 and that
means my resolution is 1/4 also.

I had seen the parallax stuff.  I was hoping there was some other source for
the old programmer software.  My project has outgrown the parallax
architecture but I wanted to add a few changes to the current system so I
could gather some data before I move to another  processor.  I'm not about
to buy the SXKey just for these few changes.

Since I can't get an XP version of the programmer code I guess I'll dig out
my old notebook computer that runs Windows 98.  The screen is dead but I can
plug a monitor into the back and do some stuff.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Pete
>> I just found this list.  I used the Scenix back in year 2000 for a
>> project
>> and now I need to update it.  It seems that the chip has disappeared.  I
>> know about the Unicom transfer but now what do I do?
>
> As others have said, Parallax is the owner.
>
> For a new design that requires high timer resolution you might want to
> look
> at the C8051F353R from Silabs (50MHz, they also have 100MHz) or the
> 40-MIPS
> PIC24. More CISC-y than RISC-y, I know, but probably longer design life
> 4U.
>
> Best regards,
> Spehro Pefhany
> --
> "it's the network..."                          "The Journey is the reward"
> [hidden email]             Info for manufacturers:
> http://www.trexon.com
> Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:
> http://www.speff.com

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Marc Nicholas-2
You're aware that the SX/Blitz is only $29?

-marc

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Pete Calinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The C8051 looks good.  It is superior to the other 8051s I looked at
> because
> it will clock the timer with the system clock.  The others use SC/4 and
> that
> means my resolution is 1/4 also.
>
> I had seen the parallax stuff.  I was hoping there was some other source
> for
> the old programmer software.  My project has outgrown the parallax
> architecture but I wanted to add a few changes to the current system so I
> could gather some data before I move to another  processor.  I'm not about
> to buy the SXKey just for these few changes.
>
> Since I can't get an XP version of the programmer code I guess I'll dig out
> my old notebook computer that runs Windows 98.  The screen is dead but I
> can
> plug a monitor into the back and do some stuff.
>
> Thanks for all the help everyone.
>
> Pete

Re: Is the Scenix Chip Alive?

Pete Calinski
Yes, it is just that the more I look into what I need for the next phase, I
can tell I will need a better chip.  I don't feel like starting up something
"new" (SX/Blitz) with this old chip.  If they had done something to make it
more capable over the years, that would have been good.  As it is, I always
had very little respect for the archenteron of the Parallax family.  A clean
break now seems best.

I fired up the old Win98 machine and did a verify with the old programmer
and the instrument so I know that works and I can write the code I need to
make the tests.

Thanks everyone,

Pete