Microchip XC8/16 v1.10 install error

CDB-3
I installed the above builds yesterday (I already had v1.00 installed) and
both installers had the same file copying failure when trying to copy from
my temp directory the XCLM.conf file to the etc directory.

After attempting to manually copy the file I found that the etc directory
is not accessible due to Microchip making it accessible only with 'Special
User' permissions.

Both compilers worked. After adding my user name and giving myself full
permissions to this file, I could open the folder and see that despite the
installer error message box the file was in fact there.

This file appears to have something to do with the licencing requirements.

So in a nutshell, if you get this error message upon install and you find
that you are denied access to this folder in your file explorer, it looks
as though it can be ignored.

Colin
--
cdb,  on 12/08/2012

RE: Microchip XC8/16 v1.10 install error

Jim Franklin
What I have found over the years is that whilst Microchip makes excellent
chips, they make pretty dire software.

Did someone say MPLABX?

A real pity as it looks to have some really nice features in it - like a
real development environment should be.
-Jim

Re: Microchip XC8/16 v1.10 install error

Chetan Bhargava
I had similar problems and every time the download file had a
different MD5 checksum. I'll post my checksum tomorrow so that you can
compare with yours.

I'm using MPLABX v1.3 and xc16 v1.0

Chetan Bhargava
http://microz.blogspot.com

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Jim Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I have found over the years is that whilst Microchip makes excellent
> chips, they make pretty dire software.
>
> Did someone say MPLABX?
>
> A real pity as it looks to have some really nice features in it - like a
> real development environment should be.
> -Jim

MD5SUM for xc8 and xc16

85ac444e3235597010aa7de490635d23  xc16-v1_00-linux-installer.run
0d723c0e100b48885e961a95884fba23  xc8_v1_01_linux.run

I'll have to find my mplabx installer binary.

Chetan Bhargava
http://microz.blogspot.com