Moving from PIC16 to PIC18 Adding chip to gpasm and picp

Moving from PIC16 to PIC18 Adding chip to gpasm and picp

captain.deadly
After getting a nice tool chain working on linux using gnupic's utils,
sometimes the SDCC and picp with a USB programmer on my laptop I've got to
move to the PIC18 chips and I seem to have run into a brick wall.

gpasm don't support the chip I want to use so first question is how do I add a
processor to the list of supported chips?

The last time I checked SDCC didn't support PIC18 but that might have changed
I'll go check that but picp don't support the chip I'm hoping to use so how do
I add to that as well.

Perhaps this is not the correct forum for such questions but please direct me
if I have made a mistake.

Re: Moving from PIC16 to PIC18 Adding chip to gpasm and picp

Marko Kohtala
It would be good to tell what versions of tools you have looked at and
what chip it is that you want to use.

You should verify the latest version from SVN at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gputils/develop.

Chip support is in gputils/libgputils/gpprocessor.c and gpcfg-table.c
as well as header files and linker scripts. The .c files have had
parts generated by scripts that collect the information from the
Microchip mpasmwin in different ways. Microchip lets us use headers
and linker scripts from mpasmwin.

Patches against the latest version in SVN trunk can be submitted at
SourceForge patches tracker.

sdcc I do not know. Similarly you should check it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdcc/. sf.net also has trackers for
feature requests.

Marko

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After getting a nice tool chain working on linux using gnupic's utils,
> sometimes the SDCC and picp with a USB programmer on my laptop I've got to
> move to the PIC18 chips and I seem to have run into a brick wall.
>
> gpasm don't support the chip I want to use so first question is how do I add a
> processor to the list of supported chips?
>
> The last time I checked SDCC didn't support PIC18 but that might have changed
> I'll go check that but picp don't support the chip I'm hoping to use so how do
> I add to that as well.
>
> Perhaps this is not the correct forum for such questions but please direct me
> if I have made a mistake.

Re: Moving from PIC16 to PIC18 Adding chip to gpasm and picp

Peter Stuge-4
Please answer Marko's questions.

[hidden email] wrote:
> I've got to move to the PIC18 chips
..
> The last time I checked SDCC didn't support PIC18

Note that PIC16 and PIC18 are very very similar. They're basically
the same architecture, except that PIC18 can have a call stack, to
make code generation in C compilers easier.

//Peter

On Monday 14 February 2011 20:33:05 Marko Kohtala wrote:

> It would be good to tell what versions of tools you have looked at and
> what chip it is that you want to use.
>
> You should verify the latest version from SVN at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gputils/develop.
>
> Chip support is in gputils/libgputils/gpprocessor.c and gpcfg-table.c
> as well as header files and linker scripts. The .c files have had
> parts generated by scripts that collect the information from the
> Microchip mpasmwin in different ways. Microchip lets us use headers
> and linker scripts from mpasmwin.
>
> Patches against the latest version in SVN trunk can be submitted at
> SourceForge patches tracker.
>
> sdcc I do not know. Similarly you should check it at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdcc/. sf.net also has trackers for
> feature requests.
>
> Marko

Thanks a million Marko,
    yes the svn version of gputils does appear to support the pic18f2680 so
I'll try it out and see how I get on.

Thanks again.