[OT]:: And again ...

RussellMc
Wishing you all a blessed Christmas from the edge of the empire and the
beginning of each new day*.

It will be Christmas day somewhere on earth for the next 48 hours (49
total, 1 already past) - make the most of it.

Russell McMahon

* That's New Zealand in case it's not apparent :-).
_______________________________
A prior Stack Exchange post of mine - even Olin tolerated it: Here
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/473120/3288

&

Here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288
Asked 1 year ago
Active today
<https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/473120/whats-this-noise?lastactivity>
Viewed 458 times
7
<https://electronics.stackexchange.com/posts/473120/timeline>1
<https://electronics.stackexchange.com/admin/posts/473120/show-flags>

As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems -
completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.

Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer tarandus )
And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?

If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
appropriate -

Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.

Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Josh Koffman
Merry Christmas Russell - According to my Geochron Santa was recently
over your house!

https://imgur.com/vummWZd

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 8:07 AM RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wishing you all a blessed Christmas from the edge of the empire and the
> beginning of each new day*.
>
> It will be Christmas day somewhere on earth for the next 48 hours (49
> total, 1 already past) - make the most of it.
>

> Russell McMahon
>
> * That's New Zealand in case it's not apparent :-).
> _______________________________
> A prior Stack Exchange post of mine - even Olin tolerated it: Here
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/473120/3288
>
> &
>
> Here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288
> Asked 1 year ago
> Active today
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/473120/whats-this-noise?lastactivity>
> Viewed 458 times
> 7
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/posts/473120/timeline>1
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/admin/posts/473120/show-flags>
>
> As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
> somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems -
> completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
> occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.
>
> Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
> bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer tarandus )
> And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?
>
> If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
> question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
> appropriate -
>
> Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
> starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.
>
> Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

David C Brown
Happy \New Year, Russ.
And to all my other friends in the colonies.

And, come the new year, Britain will be a nation once again

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 13:07, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wishing you all a blessed Christmas from the edge of the empire and the
> beginning of each new day*.
>
> It will be Christmas day somewhere on earth for the next 48 hours (49
> total, 1 already past) - make the most of it.
>

> Russell McMahon
>
> * That's New Zealand in case it's not apparent :-).
> _______________________________
> A prior Stack Exchange post of mine - even Olin tolerated it: Here
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/473120/3288
>
> &
>
> Here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288
> Asked 1 year ago
> Active today
> <
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/473120/whats-this-noise?lastactivity
> >
> Viewed 458 times
> 7
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/posts/473120/timeline>1
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/admin/posts/473120/show-flags>
>
> As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
> somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems -
> completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
> occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.
>
> Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
> bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer tarandus )
> And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?
>
> If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
> question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
> appropriate -
>
> Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
> starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.
>
> Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

David C Brown
Apropo your sig.
It predates Adams.  I remember being told in my first job in 1969 that
designs must be more than foolproof.  They must be bloody fool proof.
And that it wasn't good enough for a design to be merely good enough/.

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 13:24, Josh Koffman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Merry Christmas Russell - According to my Geochron Santa was recently
> over your house!
>
> https://imgur.com/vummWZd
>
> Josh
> --
> A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
> completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
> fools.
>         -Douglas Adams
>
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 8:07 AM RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Wishing you all a blessed Christmas from the edge of the empire and the
> > beginning of each new day*.
> >
> > It will be Christmas day somewhere on earth for the next 48 hours (49
> > total, 1 already past) - make the most of it.
> >

> > Russell McMahon
> >
> > * That's New Zealand in case it's not apparent :-).
> > _______________________________
> > A prior Stack Exchange post of mine - even Olin tolerated it: Here
> > https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/473120/3288
> >
> > &
> >
> > Here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288
> > Asked 1 year ago
> > Active today
> > <
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/473120/whats-this-noise?lastactivity
> >
> > Viewed 458 times
> > 7
> > <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/posts/473120/timeline>1
> > <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/admin/posts/473120/show-flags>
> >
> > As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
> > somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems -
> > completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
> > occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.
> >
> > Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
> > bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer tarandus )
> > And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?
> >
> > If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
> > question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
> > appropriate -
> >
> > Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
> > starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.
> >
> > Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Chris Roper
Merry Christmas and Happy New year everyone - I trust it won't be worse
than this one.

"@David"
I was told to make it idiot proof, unfortunately they kept making better
idiots.

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 17:51, David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
> > > somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems
> -
> > > completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
> > > occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.
> > >
> > > Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
> > > bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer
> tarandus )
> > > And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?
> > >
> > > If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
> > > question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
> > > appropriate -
> > >
> > > Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
> > > starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.
> > >
> > > Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

John Lawton
David,

but briefly. I fear we are all soon finished except as a vassal state of
the NWO.

John

On 27/12/2020 15:48, David C Brown wrote:

> Happy \New Year, Russ.
> And to all my other friends in the colonies.
>
> And, come the new year, Britain will be a nation once again

> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>

> On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 13:07, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wishing you all a blessed Christmas from the edge of the empire and the
>> beginning of each new day*.
>>
>> It will be Christmas day somewhere on earth for the next 48 hours (49
>> total, 1 already past) - make the most of it.
>>

>> Russell McMahon
>>
>> * That's New Zealand in case it's not apparent :-).
>> _______________________________
>> A prior Stack Exchange post of mine - even Olin tolerated it: Here
>> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/473120/3288
>>
>> &
>>
>> Here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288
>> Asked 1 year ago
>> Active today
>> <
>> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/473120/whats-this-noise?lastactivity
>> Viewed 458 times
>> 7
>> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/posts/473120/timeline>1
>> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/admin/posts/473120/show-flags>
>>
>> As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
>> somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems -
>> completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
>> occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.
>>
>> Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
>> bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer tarandus )
>> And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?
>>
>> If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
>> question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
>> appropriate -
>>
>> Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
>> starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.
>>
>> Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

RussellMc
Admin gentlest of comments:

Hat: Face-shield with respirator N85 mask:

re

> but briefly. I fear we are all soon finished except as a vassal state of
> the NWO.

and even  the apparently highly harmless

> And, come the new year, Britain will be a nation once again

Somewhere here we are gently drifting across the line into politics.
Regardless of merit (or otherwise :-)) such things are amongst the few
proscribed from the list.
Interesting and exciting past experiences show that such discussions very
soon descend into chaos and shouting.

People are most welcome to regale me and such other CCs as may be
interested with their views of such things.

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

RussellMc

> Hat: Face-shield with respirator N85 mask:  <- Doh! N95

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

John Lawton
Well if you wish us to steer clear of politics, which is fine, don't
then make comments about masks.

On 28/12/2020 10:48, RussellMc wrote:
>> Hat: Face-shield with respirator N85 mask:  <- Doh! N95

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Justin Richards
And to you Russell a distant, deep, resonate and belated (HO)^3 (recently
spotted on a tubers T-Shirt)

"...audio breakthrough in my auditory systems...", me too!!! but more of a
skippy's tail thwacking than hooves scraping.

and thanks to the Admins.

Justin

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 9:07 PM RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wishing you all a blessed Christmas from the edge of the empire and the
> beginning of each new day*.
>
> It will be Christmas day somewhere on earth for the next 48 hours (49
> total, 1 already past) - make the most of it.
>

> Russell McMahon
>
> * That's New Zealand in case it's not apparent :-).
> _______________________________
> A prior Stack Exchange post of mine - even Olin tolerated it: Here
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/473120/3288
>
> &
>
> Here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288
> Asked 1 year ago
> Active today
> <
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/473120/whats-this-noise?lastactivity
> >
> Viewed 458 times
> 7
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/posts/473120/timeline>1
> <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/admin/posts/473120/show-flags>
>
> As in other years at precisely this time I'm experiencing an effect
> somewhat like GSM frame-rate audio breakthrough in my auditory systems -
> completely different frequencies but equally wideband. I've noticed it
> occasionally in the past - always at this precise time of year.
>
> Sounds hard to describe but perhaps something like a tinkling of small
> bells, a scraping of hooves (perhaps akin to those of Rangifer tarandus )
> And perhaps a distant, deep and resonant 'Ho ho ho'?
>
> If anyone has any comments then adding them to this possibly similar
> question <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q/207750/3288> may be
> appropriate -
>
> Regardless - merry Christmas - online on earth for the next 49 hours
> starting in New Zealand in 3 minutes time.
>
> Updated: 2020 - same time of year. It's back again!

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Generally it's best to defer to Russell and give him the last word, as he is one of the sheriffs here, and this isn't Rowdytown.

Bob

Well if you wish us to steer clear of politics, which is fine, don't
then make comments about masks.

On 28/12/2020 10:48, RussellMc wrote:
>> Hat: Face-shield with respirator N85 mask:  <- Doh! N95

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

David C Brown
I can only quote that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 16:19, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Generally it's best to defer to Russell and give him the last word, as he
> is one of the sheriffs here, and this isn't Rowdytown.
>
> Bob

Bob Blick-5
You guys have perfected "how to pee in the punchbowl". Happy New Year.

I can only quote that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 16:19, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Generally it's best to defer to Russell and give him the last word, as he
> is one of the sheriffs here, and this isn't Rowdytown.
>
> Bob

Out of curiosity  who are the Sheriff's.

I have lost track. I know of Bob and Russell but suspect there are others,
perhaps James?

Your efforts are appreciated.

Justin

On Tue, 29 Dec. 2020, 00:19 Bob Blick, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Generally it's best to defer to Russell and give him the last word, as he
> is one of the sheriffs here, and this isn't Rowdytown.
>
> Bob

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 8:57 PM Justin Richards
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Out of curiosity  who are the Sheriff's.
>
> I have lost track. I know of Bob and Russell but suspect there are others,
> perhaps James?

Bob and Russell are the most active. Harold and I are two others.

I don't know that I deserve much thanks directly, but I know as a team
we appreciate it!

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Hi Justin,
At the end of every piclist email is a link, follow it and at the bottom of the page there is an email link to all admins:
James hasn't been an admin for a decade-and-a-half. He maintains the archive. Many thanks to James!
As an aside, MIT would be happy to permanently pull the plug, and could, with no warning or recourse. BTW, not a suggestion, I believe the piclist is a good thing, and I have fought and connived them to keep it alive now for years beyond its perceived value :)
Cheerful regards, Bob

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Carlos Marcano
We are all thankful for your service, gentlemen.

Best regards,

Carlos.

El lun., 28 dic. 2020 8:57 p. m., Bob Blick <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi Justin,
> At the end of every piclist email is a link, follow it and at the bottom
> of the page there is an email link to all admins:
> James hasn't been an admin for a decade-and-a-half. He maintains the
> archive. Many thanks to James!
> As an aside, MIT would be happy to permanently pull the plug, and could,
> with no warning or recourse. BTW, not a suggestion, I believe the piclist
> is a good thing, and I have fought and connived them to keep it alive now
> for years beyond its perceived value :)
> Cheerful regards, Bob

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Josh,
You deserve special thanks. You pulled us out of our most recent catastrophe. Somehow your charm worked on the MIT tech crew when the list failed.
Bob

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Peter-251
Thanks Bob and Russell, and to all who make the Piclist available, as
there is still value with the Piclist. I have not participated much
recently due to highly personal issues, but I do still read, and so
thanks again to everyone involved, as I for one do appreciate all your
efforts.

Thank you.

Peter

> James hasn't been an admin for a decade-and-a-half. He maintains the archive. Many thanks to James!
> As an aside, MIT would be happy to permanently pull the plug, and could, with no warning or recourse. BTW, not a suggestion, I believe the piclist is a good thing, and I have fought and connived them to keep it alive now for years beyond its perceived value :)
> Cheerful regards, Bob

Re: [OT]:: And again ...

Josh Koffman
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:59 AM Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You deserve special thanks. You pulled us out of our most recent catastrophe. Somehow your charm worked on the MIT tech crew when the list failed.

Oh wow. That feels like a million years ago, I completely forgot about that!

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams