[OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

RussellMc
Not present in NZ.

After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online resource
for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores, Fry’s
Electronics, Inc. (“Fry’s” or “Company”), has made the difficult decision
to shut down its operations and close its business permanently as a result
of changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the Covid-19
pandemic. The Company will implement the shut down through an orderly wind
down process that it believes will be in the best interests of the Company,
its creditors, and other stakeholders.

The Company ceased regular operations and began the wind-down process on
February 24, 2021. It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down through this
orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional liabilities, minimize
the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords and associates, and
maximize the value of the Company’s assets for its creditors and other
stakeholders.

http://frys.com/

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

RussellMc
" ... Sadly, I never set foot inside of a Fry's though I hear it was an
experience beginning with the themed entrances found at many of the
locations. ..."

Unlike Ms Panos, I have. Once only. In 2003.

https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/

11/2019
https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 11:09, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://frys.com/

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Spehro Pefhany
At 05:24 PM 2/25/2021, you wrote:

>" ... Sadly, I never set foot inside of a Fry's though I hear it was an
>experience beginning with the themed entrances found at many of the
>locations. ..."
>
>Unlike Ms Panos, I have. Once only. In 2003.
>

>https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
>
>https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
>
>11/2019
>https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

Shame. I thought they (and C&H Surplus in Pasadena) were a highlight
of visits to the US West. But time moves on.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

David Strumpf
 I remember every year at Microchip Masters they would load up buses of engineers and take us to Fry's as an Event.
They had everything from soldering irons to ICs.
My wife came one year and said, "Why do they have an entire aisle of Star Trek DVDs?".  Then, she said, "Oh..., I get it..."
I loved every minute of it!
    On Thursday, February 25, 2021, 04:27:37 PM CST, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

 " ... Sadly, I never set foot inside of a Fry's though I hear it was an
experience beginning with the themed entrances found at many of the
locations. ..."

Unlike Ms Panos, I have. Once only. In 2003.

https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/

11/2019
https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 11:09, RussellMc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://frys.com/

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Forrest Christian (List Account)
I was in the San Francisco Bay area working on a unix admin contract for 6
months in the mid-90s, just before the internet really took off.

I loved going to Fry's.   Motherboards, computer cases, electronics tools,
supplies, test equipment, and on and on and on.    It was a geeks
paradise...

I also loved all of the surplus stores.

Sadly, most of this seems to have been left behind. I miss being able to
walk into a fully stocked temple of technology and buy pretty much
anything.   I've been in a Fry's about once every couple years since then
and the last couple visits were just depressing with nothing really on the
shelf but emptiness.   My occasional trip to the Bay area surplus stores
(when I have a rental car) has had fewer stops each year as they all slowly
close.

But I get it, as the internet has made even more stuff accessible to
everyone, far more than you could stock in any one store.  Doesn't make it
any less sad.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 3:43 PM Spehro Pefhany <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 05:24 PM 2/25/2021, you wrote:
> >" ... Sadly, I never set foot inside of a Fry's though I hear it was an
> >experience beginning with the themed entrances found at many of the
> >locations. ..."
> >
> >Unlike Ms Panos, I have. Once only. In 2003.
> >

> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
> >

> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
> >
> >11/2019
> >
> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/
>
> Shame. I thought they (and C&H Surplus in Pasadena) were a highlight
> of visits to the US West. But time moves on.
>
> Best regards,
> Spehro Pefhany

- Forrest

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Clint Jay
Similar trajectory to Maplin in the UK, they got to a point where they were
trying to sell £8 USB power banks that were identical to the ones in a £/$
store two doors away.

It was sad to watch but in the end it was almost embarassing to see what
they'd become.

I do miss the surplus stores, the last/best one I knew of burned down a
cpuple of years ago and I've not found another, never mind a good one.

It does make me wonder where all the stuff goes, I suspect landfill or
metal recycling which is a crying shame.

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 04:16 Forrest Christian (List Account), <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was in the San Francisco Bay area working on a unix admin contract for 6
> months in the mid-90s, just before the internet really took off.
>
> I loved going to Fry's.   Motherboards, computer cases, electronics tools,
> supplies, test equipment, and on and on and on.    It was a geeks
> paradise...
>
> I also loved all of the surplus stores.
>
> Sadly, most of this seems to have been left behind. I miss being able to
> walk into a fully stocked temple of technology and buy pretty much
> anything.   I've been in a Fry's about once every couple years since then
> and the last couple visits were just depressing with nothing really on the
> shelf but emptiness.   My occasional trip to the Bay area surplus stores
> (when I have a rental car) has had fewer stops each year as they all slowly
> close.
>
> But I get it, as the internet has made even more stuff accessible to
> everyone, far more than you could stock in any one store.  Doesn't make it
> any less sad.
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 3:43 PM Spehro Pefhany <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > At 05:24 PM 2/25/2021, you wrote:
> > >" ... Sadly, I never set foot inside of a Fry's though I hear it was an
> > >experience beginning with the themed entrances found at many of the
> > >locations. ..."
> > >
> > >Unlike Ms Panos, I have. Once only. In 2003.
> > >

> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
> > >

> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
> > >
> > >11/2019
> > >

> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/
> >
> > Shame. I thought they (and C&H Surplus in Pasadena) were a highlight
> > of visits to the US West. But time moves on.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Spehro Pefhany

> - Forrest

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

David C Brown
What became of Radioshack or Tandy in the UK
David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:27, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Similar trajectory to Maplin in the UK, they got to a point where they were
> trying to sell £8 USB power banks that were identical to the ones in a £/$
> store two doors away.
>
> It was sad to watch but in the end it was almost embarassing to see what
> they'd become.
>
> I do miss the surplus stores, the last/best one I knew of burned down a
> cpuple of years ago and I've not found another, never mind a good one.
>
> It does make me wonder where all the stuff goes, I suspect landfill or
> metal recycling which is a crying shame.
>
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 04:16 Forrest Christian (List Account), <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I was in the San Francisco Bay area working on a unix admin contract for
> 6
> > months in the mid-90s, just before the internet really took off.
> >
> > I loved going to Fry's.   Motherboards, computer cases, electronics
> tools,
> > supplies, test equipment, and on and on and on.    It was a geeks
> > paradise...
> >
> > I also loved all of the surplus stores.
> >
> > Sadly, most of this seems to have been left behind. I miss being able to
> > walk into a fully stocked temple of technology and buy pretty much
> > anything.   I've been in a Fry's about once every couple years since then
> > and the last couple visits were just depressing with nothing really on
> the
> > shelf but emptiness.   My occasional trip to the Bay area surplus stores
> > (when I have a rental car) has had fewer stops each year as they all
> slowly
> > close.
> >
> > But I get it, as the internet has made even more stuff accessible to
> > everyone, far more than you could stock in any one store.  Doesn't make
> it
> > any less sad.
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 3:43 PM Spehro Pefhany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> an

> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
> > > >

> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/

> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/
> > >
> > > Shame. I thought they (and C&H Surplus in Pasadena) were a highlight
> > > of visits to the US West. But time moves on.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Spehro Pefhany
> > >
> > > --

> > - Forrest

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Clint Jay
Tandy was still around a couple of years ago but On-line only and I think
it was just a one man band outfit who'd got rights to use the name.

Might still be but Tandy.co.uk goes to a domain hawker now.

https://www.tandyonline.com/

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 16:15 Clint Jay, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tandy was still around a couple of years ago but On-line only and I think
> it was just a one man band outfit who'd got rights to use the name.
>
> Might still be but Tandy.co.uk goes to a domain hawker now.
>
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 16:11 David C Brown, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What became of Radioshack or Tandy in the UK
>> David C Brown
>> 43 Bings Road
>> Whaley Bridge
>> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
>> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
>> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
>> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>>

>> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>>

>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:27, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Similar trajectory to Maplin in the UK, they got to a point where they
>> were
>> > trying to sell £8 USB power banks that were identical to the ones in a
>> £/$
>> > store two doors away.
>> >
>> > It was sad to watch but in the end it was almost embarassing to see what
>> > they'd become.
>> >
>> > I do miss the surplus stores, the last/best one I knew of burned down a
>> > cpuple of years ago and I've not found another, never mind a good one.
>> >
>> > It does make me wonder where all the stuff goes, I suspect landfill or
>> > metal recycling which is a crying shame.

>> for
>> > 6

>> > tools,

>> then
>> > the
>> stores
>> > slowly

>> make
>> > it

>> was
>> > an

>> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
>> > > > >

>> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/

>> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Neil
I feel bad for Fry's, but IMO Radio Shack (in the US) drove themselves
into the ground.  They tried to be everything to everyone and AIUI they
hired the lowest skill workers for the lowest pay so no one cared.
There's still a Radio Shack in my town, but it's run by a very grumpy
man so I don't really care to go there even if it's quicker for me to
get something there.

On 2/26/2021 11:05 AM, David C Brown wrote:

> What became of Radioshack or Tandy in the UK
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:27, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Similar trajectory to Maplin in the UK, they got to a point where they were
>> trying to sell £8 USB power banks that were identical to the ones in a £/$
>> store two doors away.
>>
>> It was sad to watch but in the end it was almost embarassing to see what
>> they'd become.
>>
>> I do miss the surplus stores, the last/best one I knew of burned down a
>> cpuple of years ago and I've not found another, never mind a good one.
>>
>> It does make me wonder where all the stuff goes, I suspect landfill or
>> metal recycling which is a crying shame.
>>
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 04:16 Forrest Christian (List Account), <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I was in the San Francisco Bay area working on a unix admin contract for
>> 6
>>> months in the mid-90s, just before the internet really took off.
>>>
>>> I loved going to Fry's.   Motherboards, computer cases, electronics
>> tools,
>>> supplies, test equipment, and on and on and on.    It was a geeks
>>> paradise...
>>>
>>> I also loved all of the surplus stores.
>>>
>>> Sadly, most of this seems to have been left behind. I miss being able to
>>> walk into a fully stocked temple of technology and buy pretty much
>>> anything.   I've been in a Fry's about once every couple years since then
>>> and the last couple visits were just depressing with nothing really on
>> the
>>> shelf but emptiness.   My occasional trip to the Bay area surplus stores
>>> (when I have a rental car) has had fewer stops each year as they all
>> slowly
>>> close.
>>>
>>> But I get it, as the internet has made even more stuff accessible to
>>> everyone, far more than you could stock in any one store.  Doesn't make
>> it
>>> any less sad.

>> an

>> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
>>>>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
>>>>>
>> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

>>> --
>>> - Forrest

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Alexandre Guimaraes-2
        It is not an isolated case. Specialised retail stores are going broke everywhere. There was a fantastic Bookstore called Digital Guru in the Silicon Valley that felt almost like paradise with all that knowledge on the shelfs. Closed a few years ago. I still remember clearly the first time I walked into a Fry’s Store ! All the tools, hard drives, hanging everywhere ! It was so nice that felt kind of surreal :-( :-( I will definitely miss it.

        Not the same experience looking at web pages and waiting for stuff to arrive.

> On 26 Feb 2021, at 13:33, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I feel bad for Fry's, but IMO Radio Shack (in the US) drove themselves
> into the ground.  They tried to be everything to everyone and AIUI they
> hired the lowest skill workers for the lowest pay so no one cared.
> There's still a Radio Shack in my town, but it's run by a very grumpy
> man so I don't really care to go there even if it's quicker for me to
> get something there.
>

> On 2/26/2021 11:05 AM, David C Brown wrote:
>> What became of Radioshack or Tandy in the UK
>> David C Brown
>> 43 Bings Road
>> Whaley Bridge
>> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
>> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
>> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
>> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>>

>> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>>

>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:27, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Similar trajectory to Maplin in the UK, they got to a point where they were
>>> trying to sell £8 USB power banks that were identical to the ones in a £/$
>>> store two doors away.
>>>
>>> It was sad to watch but in the end it was almost embarassing to see what
>>> they'd become.
>>>
>>> I do miss the surplus stores, the last/best one I knew of burned down a
>>> cpuple of years ago and I've not found another, never mind a good one.
>>>
>>> It does make me wonder where all the stuff goes, I suspect landfill or
>>> metal recycling which is a crying shame.

>>> 6

>>> tools,

>>> the
>>> slowly

>>> it

>>> an

>>> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
>>>>>>
>>> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
>>>>>>
>>> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Clint Jay
Online is surgical almost, I know what component I want and it's really
easy to get. What you don't get is random inspiration from browsing piles
of junk, aisles of components etc.

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 17:35 Alexandre Guimaraes, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>         It is not an isolated case. Specialised retail stores are going
> broke everywhere. There was a fantastic Bookstore called Digital Guru in
> the Silicon Valley that felt almost like paradise with all that knowledge
> on the shelfs. Closed a few years ago. I still remember clearly the first
> time I walked into a Fry’s Store ! All the tools, hard drives, hanging
> everywhere ! It was so nice that felt kind of surreal :-( :-( I will
> definitely miss it.
>
>         Not the same experience looking at web pages and waiting for stuff
> to arrive.
>

> > On 26 Feb 2021, at 13:33, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I feel bad for Fry's, but IMO Radio Shack (in the US) drove themselves
> > into the ground.  They tried to be everything to everyone and AIUI they
> > hired the lowest skill workers for the lowest pay so no one cared.
> > There's still a Radio Shack in my town, but it's run by a very grumpy
> > man so I don't really care to go there even if it's quicker for me to
> > get something there.
> >

> > On 2/26/2021 11:05 AM, David C Brown wrote:
> >> What became of Radioshack or Tandy in the UK
> >> __________________________________________
> >> David C Brown
> >> 43 Bings Road
> >> Whaley Bridge
> >> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> >> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> >> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> >> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
> >>

> >> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

> were
> £/$

> what

> for

> then
> stores

> make

> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
> >>>>>>

> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
> >>>>>>

> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

RE: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

David Van Horn
Similar to how data books have disappeared.
Back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I got a lot of inspiration reading through data books looking at odd circuit ideas.
Now, you get the data sheet for the part you want, maybe a couple application circuits for that part, and nothing else.

We are gaining, and we are losing.

--
David VanHorn
Lead Hardware Engineer

Backcountry Access, Inc.
2820 Wilderness Pl, Unit H
Boulder, CO  80301 USA
phone: 303-417-1345  x110
email: [hidden email]

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Alexandre Guimaraes-2
        You used the perfect word for what we are losing, in my opinion !!! “Inspiration”… I spent hours and hours browsing trough the books at Digital Guru and so many times found precious stuff that I was not looking for, at all ! Found titles in subjects that were sometimes just tangentially related to what I was actually looking for but found many gems on those random searches. Maybe I am getting old, but I do not get the same from the online experience. I love Hackaday, Hackster and so many other nice places to see what is happening but the experience of walking around aisles full of precious books is not the same.

        The same is true, for me, from stores like Fry’s and the surplus stores.

        Never missed the shelfs of databooks !!! I love the online information. But it is not the same for me without some of the physical stores and specially bookstores :-(

Alexandre Guimaraes

> On 26 Feb 2021, at 14:42, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Online is surgical almost, I know what component I want and it's really
> easy to get. What you don't get is random inspiration from browsing piles
> of junk, aisles of components etc.
>
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 17:35 Alexandre Guimaraes, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>        It is not an isolated case. Specialised retail stores are going
>> broke everywhere. There was a fantastic Bookstore called Digital Guru in
>> the Silicon Valley that felt almost like paradise with all that knowledge
>> on the shelfs. Closed a few years ago. I still remember clearly the first
>> time I walked into a Fry’s Store ! All the tools, hard drives, hanging
>> everywhere ! It was so nice that felt kind of surreal :-( :-( I will
>> definitely miss it.
>>
>>        Not the same experience looking at web pages and waiting for stuff
>> to arrive.
>>

>>> On 26 Feb 2021, at 13:33, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I feel bad for Fry's, but IMO Radio Shack (in the US) drove themselves
>>> into the ground.  They tried to be everything to everyone and AIUI they
>>> hired the lowest skill workers for the lowest pay so no one cared.
>>> There's still a Radio Shack in my town, but it's run by a very grumpy
>>> man so I don't really care to go there even if it's quicker for me to
>>> get something there.

>> were
>> £/$

>> what

>> for

>> then
>> stores

>> make

>> https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/frys-electronics-has-fizzled-out-completely/
>>>>>>>>

>> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
>>>>>>>>

>> https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/frys-electronics-stores-are-looking-empty-as-they-go-through-changes/

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Neil
Yep.
And FWIW, there's Microcenter is still around, but much fewer locations.

One another note, didn't Limor/Adafruit pick up some stock/shares in
Radio Shack a few years ago?

On 2/26/2021 12:33 PM, Alexandre Guimaraes wrote:

> It is not an isolated case. Specialised retail stores are going broke everywhere. There was a fantastic Bookstore called Digital Guru in the Silicon Valley that felt almost like paradise with all that knowledge on the shelfs. Closed a few years ago. I still remember clearly the first time I walked into a Fry’s Store ! All the tools, hard drives, hanging everywhere ! It was so nice that felt kind of surreal :-( :-( I will definitely miss it.
>
> Not the same experience looking at web pages and waiting for stuff to arrive.
>

>> On 26 Feb 2021, at 13:33, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I feel bad for Fry's, but IMO Radio Shack (in the US) drove themselves
>> into the ground.  They tried to be everything to everyone and AIUI they
>> hired the lowest skill workers for the lowest pay so no one cared.
>> There's still a Radio Shack in my town, but it's run by a very grumpy
>> man so I don't really care to go there even if it's quicker for me to
>> get something there.
>>

>> On 2/26/2021 11:05 AM, David C Brown wrote:
>>> What became of Radioshack or Tandy in the UK
>>> __________________________________________
>>> David C Brown
>>> 43 Bings Road
>>> Whaley Bridge
>>> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
>>> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
>>> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
>>> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>>>

>>> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

RE: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

David Van Horn
We have micro center here in Denver, and it's really the ONLY place for parts now.
JB saunders went about 5 years ago, and late last year the surplus place in Colorado Springs closed.
McGuckin hardware here in Boulder has a small selection of parts, which they are EXPANDING!
For example, I found Ferranti ZN414 chips there, which I thought I would never see again.

--
David VanHorn
Lead Hardware Engineer

Backcountry Access, Inc.
2820 Wilderness Pl, Unit H
Boulder, CO  80301 USA
phone: 303-417-1345  x110
email: [hidden email]

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

RussellMc
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 07:42, David Van Horn <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ferranti ZN414

!!!!! :-)

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 07:23, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yep.
> And FWIW, there's Microcenter is still around, but much fewer locations.
>
> In Australia and New Zealand we have Australian based "JayCar". So far
they SEEM to be going strong. Hopefully they are.

They stock a reasonably wide range of components  plus many electronics
products. Very few "consumer" products.

Here is page 2 of their latest mailer which gives an idea of the type of
'goodies' that they supply.
I'm impressed with their range (while not up to Frys' ;evels).
Being able to buy eg a 3D printer / CNC ... / LASER etcher off the shelf is
nice.
3D scanner / inspection camera / PSU / digital scale ...
Note that the digital scale at $239 seems to set a new high in pricing -
I'd expect to buy similar in the $15-$30 range elsewhere here.

Prices are usually not at all nice. Can't have it all.
Divide by about 1.6 for $US

page 2 https://my-catalogue.nz/jaycar-electronics-mailers/catalogue-18094-1

Other pages on tabs at top

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

Allen Mulvey
The 19 Compartment Storage Container on page 3 at $20.90 is available from Harbor Freight in the US for around $10.00, frequently on sale for about $7.00. They are what I use for many of my small parts.

Allen

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 07:23, Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yep.
> And FWIW, there's Microcenter is still around, but much fewer locations.
>
> In Australia and New Zealand we have Australian based "JayCar". So far
they SEEM to be going strong. Hopefully they are.

They stock a reasonably wide range of components  plus many electronics
products. Very few "consumer" products.

Here is page 2 of their latest mailer which gives an idea of the type of
'goodies' that they supply.
I'm impressed with their range (while not up to Frys' ;evels).
Being able to buy eg a 3D printer / CNC ... / LASER etcher off the shelf is
nice.
3D scanner / inspection camera / PSU / digital scale ...
Note that the digital scale at $239 seems to set a new high in pricing -
I'd expect to buy similar in the $15-$30 range elsewhere here.

Prices are usually not at all nice. Can't have it all.
Divide by about 1.6 for $US

page 2 https://my-catalogue.nz/jaycar-electronics-mailers/catalogue-18094-1

Other pages on tabs at top

Re: [OT]:: FRYS ELECTRONICS CEASES BUSINESS

James Cameron-2
I was explaining this to my class yesterday while listing several
vendors and their purchasing and stocking practices.

Based on observation of catalogs and store stock, Jaycar tend to
maintain each stock item for years, with a large central warehouse in
Sydney.  It means the cost also covers long term warehousing for
years.  Items with dates (e.g. chips on modules) don't change much or
at all over the life of the stock item.

But this does mean that you can, on average, expect a product to
remain available for longer.  Remaining quantity is usually invisible
unless you ask nicely or have an agreement with them.

Storage containers have an unfortunate volume to price ratio.  ;-)

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 04:55:51PM -0500, Allen Mulvey wrote:

> The 19 Compartment Storage Container on page 3 at $20.90 is available from Harbor Freight in the US for around $10.00, frequently on sale for about $7.00. They are what I use for many of my small parts.
>
> Allen

James Cameron
https://quozl.linux.org.au/