[OT] New laptop battery draining when shut off

[OT] New laptop battery draining when shut off

Bob Blick-5
I have a new Lenovo laptop, the least expensive i7 one I could find, and it kills the battery when it's shut down, within 2 days, totally dead.

I've tried all the usual tricks, such as turning off Windows 10 Fast Start and making sure no USB devices are plugged into it. I've done other things too, such as shutting off suspend mode. Really, I've done a lot of things one at a time and so far only one thing seems to sort of work:

Shut it down by opening a command prompt and typing "shutdown /s"

This is ridiculous, I should be able to shut off the laptop in a normal way.

Anybody else seen this kind of behavior?

Thanks for any input.

Bob

Re: [OT] New laptop battery draining when shut off

James Cameron-2
As someone who has fixated on laptops and power management ... yes,
I've seen that kind of thing, and I've a few ideas.

Call Lenovo support and report the problem, see if they have a fix.
Later firmware is a possibility.  System firmware is responsible for
depowering all the Lenovo-specific peripherals when the operating
system is shut down.  Getting this wrong does happen.

Call Microsoft support and report the problem, see if they have a
fix.  A configuration setting is likely to be available to convert a
normal power-off to your known-working "shutdown /s".

Check for configuration settings that let you turn off any remote
management or power control features; some laptops will continue to
power a radio peripheral to support automatic power-on command.
(e.g. for corporate updates, Bluetooth keyboards, and the like).

Check if the USB sockets are powered during the different types of
power-off.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: [OT] New laptop battery draining when shut off

Dom S
Check your windows Event Logs for anything happening during this shutdown
period.

My brand new Dell laptop logs events when "shutdown" quite regularly -
caused by the WOL on the wireless networking.

Re: [OT] New laptop battery draining when shut off

Clint Jay
It could be Windows, 'Fast Startup' is a PITA, you can force a full
shutdown if you hold the shift key as you click shutdown, I believe you can
disable this behaviour but as things seem to move around between WIndows 10
versions, I'[m not entirely sure where to find the setting

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 11:19, Dom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Check your windows Event Logs for anything happening during this shutdown
> period.
>
> My brand new Dell laptop logs events when "shutdown" quite regularly -
> caused by the WOL on the wireless networking.

Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*