[OT]: PC software question.

Andre Abelian
Hi to all.

I have 2 questions.

1. what software do you use to copy files other then windows explore ?
   I need to know what software should I use that while copying files if
there is a problem with file it wont stop it will give you choices what to
do IGNORE /try again/ etc.

2. I started using firefox browser I like it now I like to know what e-mail
   Software is best to use other then outlook? I use outlook 2003 and I do
not like it.

Any info will appreciated.

Andre

Re: PC software question.

John Ferrell-2
I don't understand question #1.

Question 2:
Take a look at http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
for the Forte Free Agent.
I use their full blown Agent 2.0 for newsgroup work and am satisfied with
it. I do have one email account I access from there.

I continue to use Outlook Express for regular email, it works OK for my
needs.
John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US

> 1. what software do you use to copy files other then windows explore ?
>   I need to know what software should I use that while copying files if
> there is a problem with file it wont stop it will give you choices what to
> do IGNORE /try again/ etc.
>
> 2. I started using firefox browser I like it now I like to know what
> e-mail
>   Software is best to use other then outlook? I use outlook 2003 and I do
> not like it.
>
> Any info will appreciated.
>
> Andre

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

Carlos Marcano
Andre Abelian wrote:

>  2. I started using firefox browser I like it now I like to know what
>  e-mail Software is best to use other then outlook? I use outlook 2003
>  and I do not like it.

Hi Andre.

   If you liked Firefox,  then you will like Thunderbird from the same
people, Mozilla Foundation. Search for it at www.download.com.

Regards,
*Carlos Marcano*
-Guri, Venezuela-

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

Matthew Miller-2
Hi Andre,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:21:57PM -0700, Andre Abelian wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> I have 2 questions.
>
> 1. what software do you use to copy files other then windows explore ?
>    I need to know what software should I use that while copying files if
> there is a problem with file it wont stop it will give you choices what to
> do IGNORE /try again/ etc.

I don't know about this. Do you have a particular problem in mind that has
occured when copying files?

> 2. I started using firefox browser I like it now I like to know what e-mail
>    Software is best to use other then outlook? I use outlook 2003 and I do
> not like it.

Since you're using Firefox (great browser btw) the mozilla suite also has an
email and newsreader called (I think) Thunderbird, check mozilla.org for
it. When I used windows, I enjoyed reading my email with Eudora. I think you
can still get a free copy that is advertisement supported.

Take care, Matthew.

--
"Laws do not persuade just because they threaten."

-- Seneca, 65 CE

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

KY1K
You are better off without Bill G's programs, I commend you for dumping
outlook.

Unfortunately, AOL bought Netscape....so we switched back to Internet
Explorer until something else better comes along...hopefully it will be soon.

Open Office is a Windows Office-like software package that is open source
and does away with Bill's software entirely. It's still being developed,
but right now, it runs better than Microsoft's software (and without the
Micro$oft price tag).

Tell me about Firefox browser if you would.

Thanks,

Art

At 08:21 PM 6/9/2005, you wrote:

>Hi to all.
>
>I have 2 questions.
>
>1. what software do you use to copy files other then windows explore ?
>    I need to know what software should I use that while copying files if
>there is a problem with file it wont stop it will give you choices what to
>do IGNORE /try again/ etc.
>
>2. I started using firefox browser I like it now I like to know what e-mail
>    Software is best to use other then outlook? I use outlook 2003 and I do
>not like it.
>
>Any info will appreciated.
>
>Andre

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

KY1K

>When I used windows, I enjoyed reading my email with Eudora. I think you
>can still get a free copy that is advertisement supported.

You can get he lite version, which is free but has a few features locked out.

If you can put up with the ads, you can use the totally free and full
featured version.

Art

[OT]: PC software question.

Chris Levin
Hi KY1K,

Looks like you are using "**Windows** Eudora Version 6.1.2.0".

Bill G and company create some very good stuff and they work very hard
at it. Microsoft has had an immeasurable and extremely positive impact
on our world. It seems to me that people today just like to pick on
success and hard work. I wonder why.

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:54:53PM -0400, KY1K wrote:

> Tell me about Firefox browser if you would.

I use Firefox exclusively on Windows and Linux. The best thing about it, IMO
is tabbed browsing. I keep lots of websites open, many for as long as I'm
logged into the computer and having tabs for each site instead of an open
window is very handy. Firefox is also very customizable, there are
extentions for any number of tasks or features. The biggest plus, on Windows
atleast, is that the browser is almost immune to spyware. I've never had any
spyware installed through Firefox.

I highly recommend it. The only time is run IE is to access Windows Update.

Take care, Matthew.

--
"Good laws lead to the making of better ones; bad ones bring about worse."

-- Rousseau, "The Social Contract," 1762

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

Matthew Miller-2
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:36:34PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> I highly recommend it. The only time is run IE is to access Windows Update.

Well, that should read: The only time I run IE is to access Windows Update.

--
"The way to prevent people from drinking too much alcohol, or becoming
addicts to morphine or cocaine, is to give them an efficient but wholesome

-- Aldous Huxley

RE: PC software question.

Andre Abelian
John,

When I use windows explore to copy files suppose from hard drive 1 to
Hard drive 2 " not any system files " suppose all together I selected
Are 10 gig files I want to copy them to my other hard drive because
I want to format hard drive 1. while copying files suddenly stops saying bad
File or has been used or some thing else and it wont continue so what I need
Is to use some thing else if I end up with bad file it wont stop
Instead will let me know that file has been used what to do
Ignore / try again / etc.

Sorry

Andre

> 1. what software do you use to copy files other then windows explore ?
>   I need to know what software should I use that while copying files if
> there is a problem with file it wont stop it will give you choices what to
> do IGNORE /try again/ etc.
>
> 2. I started using firefox browser I like it now I like to know what
> e-mail
>   Software is best to use other then outlook? I use outlook 2003 and I do
> not like it.
>
> Any info will appreciated.
>
> Andre

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

Howard Winter
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:10:51 -0600,
[hidden email] wrote:

> Bill G and company create some very good stuff and
they work very hard
> at it. Microsoft has had an immeasurable and extremely
positive impact
> on our world. It seems to me that people today just
like to pick on
> success and hard work. I wonder why.

ROFLMAO!!!

RE: [OT]: PC software question.

Michael Rigby-Jones

Was that a rhetorical question? If not then a quick session on Google will show you exactly why (in the case of Microsoft).

Regards

Mike

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.

Re: PC software question.

andrew kelley
Reboot to dos, use xcopy32.

I forget the flags. xcopy32 /help should tell you..

andrew

On 6/10/05, Andre Abelian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> When I use windows explore to copy files suppose from hard drive 1 to
> Hard drive 2 " not any system files " suppose all together I selected
> Are 10 gig files I want to copy them to my other hard drive because
> I want to format hard drive 1. while copying files suddenly stops saying bad
> File or has been used or some thing else and it wont continue so what I need
> Is to use some thing else if I end up with bad file it wont stop
> Instead will let me know that file has been used what to do
> Ignore / try again / etc.
>
> Sorry
>
> Andre

RE: [OT]: PC software question.

Chris Levin

It was not really a rhetorical question. I was writing it while thinking
that people today feel the need to jump on a bandwagon and attack other
people weather it is deserved or not. They also tend to do it without
knowing the facts.

Look, MSFT is a corporation and like most other big corporations today
they do a really good job of looking after their own interests. That
seems to be the way of the modern world. Look what the drug, utility,
entertainment (to name a few) companies are doing in the name of
corporate profit.

I am in no way defending this since I think it sucks.

When it comes to Microsoft though I have some strong opinions and I am
entitled to them since I know what goes on there. I worked as a
developer at Microsoft from late 1996 to 2003 and I know what goes into
creating the software that most of the planet is using.

Business practices aside, Microsoft makes good stuff, they work very
hard at it and they keep looking for ways to improve. They provide
consumers (I hate that word) with a very good deal and not one other
product, company, or group comes even close to providing the same level
of functionality and low cost.

Like I said, Microsoft is a big, successful and easy to pick on target
so they get a lot of bad press. Most of it is crap.

If any of the MSFT slammers here took the time to visit Redmond and talk
to some of the developers who work there I guarantee you would come away
impressed.

BTW, This is the first time I have ever responded to a pro or anti
Microsoft post. After all this time I decided I had to finally say
something. I figured that of all people, fellow engineers would know
better than to make comments like this. We all know what it takes to
make software/firmware/hardware and we all know that it is never
perfect.

Chris

Wouter van Ooijen
> Business practices aside, Microsoft makes good stuff

That aspect alone is sufficient to create hostile feelings with lots of
people. Whether that is deserved is open to a (probably undecideable)
debate, but is is not somthing to overlook. Comparison with nearly every
other company (drugs, weapeons, whatever) fails due to the unique
almost-monopoly uSoft has.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: www.voti.nl/hvu

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

John Ferrell-2
I am beginning to like some of the MS Software.
XP has been a big step forward, Front Page and Publisher work well. Most of
the Office stuff is only a problem because I am disinclined to put the study
time into it.
Visual Basic has come a long way....

Perhaps I am developing the Stockholm Syndrome?

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US

> It was not really a rhetorical question. I was writing it while thinking
> that people today feel the need to jump on a bandwagon and attack other
> people weather it is deserved or not. They also tend to do it without
> knowing the facts.
>
> Look, MSFT is a corporation and like most other big corporations today
> they do a really good job of looking after their own interests. That
> seems to be the way of the modern world. Look what the drug, utility,
> entertainment (to name a few) companies are doing in the name of
> corporate profit.
>
> I am in no way defending this since I think it sucks.
>
> When it comes to Microsoft though I have some strong opinions and I am
> entitled to them since I know what goes on there. I worked as a
> developer at Microsoft from late 1996 to 2003 and I know what goes into
> creating the software that most of the planet is using.
>
> Business practices aside, Microsoft makes good stuff, they work very
> hard at it and they keep looking for ways to improve. They provide
> consumers (I hate that word) with a very good deal and not one other
> product, company, or group comes even close to providing the same level
> of functionality and low cost.
>
> Like I said, Microsoft is a big, successful and easy to pick on target
> so they get a lot of bad press. Most of it is crap.
>
> If any of the MSFT slammers here took the time to visit Redmond and talk
> to some of the developers who work there I guarantee you would come away
> impressed.
>
> BTW, This is the first time I have ever responded to a pro or anti
> Microsoft post. After all this time I decided I had to finally say
> something. I figured that of all people, fellow engineers would know
> better than to make comments like this. We all know what it takes to
> make software/firmware/hardware and we all know that it is never
> perfect.
>
> Chris

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

William Westfield
On Jun 10, 2005, at 9:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Business practices aside, Microsoft makes good stuff...

"Aside from that, how did you like the play, Mrs Lincoln?"

But you're right.  Most microsoft bashers tend to overlook a lot of the
things that they do really well...

BillW

RE: [OT]: PC software question.

Peter-159

> BTW, This is the first time I have ever responded to a pro or anti
> Microsoft post. After all this time I decided I had to finally say
> something. I figured that of all people, fellow engineers would know
> better than to make comments like this. We all know what it takes to
> make software/firmware/hardware and we all know that it is never
> perfect.

I tried to bite my tongue but I couldn't this time. Some people have
tried to use certain operating systems for their work from the 90's till
now. Crashes, bugs, 'imperfections' and spiralling costs have caused
them to look for alternatives (like free unices). I agree that complex
software cannot be perfect but as a power user I STRONGLY prefer that
the imperfections be in the GUI and not in the essential works under the
hood. Too bad there is no GUI system that fully responds to that need.
Too bad that marketing decisions made by the firm you worked for make
them concentrate most of the bug-squashing effort in the GUI area. It
simply means I'm stuck with command line tools for development work, and
that I had to learn to use free unices and serious scripting from
scratch to do that. It's been nine years since I have weaned myself from
the products of your past employer and I can say it was a good step.
Others may have different experiences.

Peter

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

hector (Bugzilla)
KY1K wrote:

> Tell me about Firefox browser if you would.

When Netscape was about dying, it donated its code and created the
Mozilla foundation, responsible for the Mozilla browser. It is
basically the old netscape code, but now open source. Firefox is a
stripped-down mozilla, with only the browser part, to make it lightweight.

Currently Netscape basically gets Mozilla's code and repackages it
with all the Netscape logos etc. I've never used netscape itself, only
Mozilla, but both are very similar of course.

In any case, Firefox currently has the biggest browser share after
M$IE. You'll like it (many *many* people have!). I use the full
Mozilla suite because I also use the mail part and occasionally
Composer, but many people install Firefox and Thunderbird (only
Browser and Mail parts respectively). They all share the same
rendering engine (Gecko), but the UIs differ slightly.

Oh, Firefox was the old Firebird which was the old Phoenix. It's
changed name a couple times now.

--
Hector Martin ([hidden email])
Public Key: http://www.marcansoft.com/hector.asc

Re: [OT]: PC software question.

hector (Bugzilla)
[hidden email] wrote:
> Bill G and company create some very good stuff and they work very hard
> at it. Microsoft has had an immeasurable and extremely positive impact
> on our world. It seems to me that people today just like to pick on
> success and hard work. I wonder why.

Not to start a Microsoft vs. whatever flame, but...

ROTFLOLACGU!!!!