[OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Luis Moreira-5
Hi All,
Looking for some info and experiences you may have had in the past.

My company issued Laptop, just failed on Startup yesterday and I've lost
quite a bit of valuable data and files. I know what you are going to say,
no Backup? No I'm afraid not, as my IT department will not supply it, since
we are all suppose to work on the network not on our C: drive! Anyway, I
should have had setup some manual backup strategy.
So here we are. I couldn't recover the laptop after startup so I done
recovery, but what that actually meant was a clean install of windows 10,
so all my files are gone
Looking at the time it took, it can't have formated fully the drive, but
the IT department after several scans can not find any data.

What I'm looking for, is some advice, software/service that you have
experience with, that could help me get at least some of my data/files
back.

Thank you.
Best regards
            Luis

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Denny Esterline-2
Recent discussion on Hack-a-day about data recovery.

https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/

The comment section might contain some nuggets worth digging for.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM Luis Moreira <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Looking for some info and experiences you may have had in the past.
>
> My company issued Laptop, just failed on Startup yesterday and I've lost
> quite a bit of valuable data and files. I know what you are going to say,
> no Backup? No I'm afraid not, as my IT department will not supply it, since
> we are all suppose to work on the network not on our C: drive! Anyway, I
> should have had setup some manual backup strategy.
> So here we are. I couldn't recover the laptop after startup so I done
> recovery, but what that actually meant was a clean install of windows 10,
> so all my files are gone
> Looking at the time it took, it can't have formated fully the drive, but
> the IT department after several scans can not find any data.
>
> What I'm looking for, is some advice, software/service that you have
> experience with, that could help me get at least some of my data/files
> back.
>
> Thank you.
> Best regards
>             Luis

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Luis Moreira-5
A bit more info on this issue, this is a HP laptop with that sure start
thing and a ssd. I think the drive never had an issue, it all started with
an issue with the wireless card. I restarted the laptop as normally this
always gets it working fine, and that's when it got stuck on the
splash screen for HP Sure start. I left it for about 3 hours trying to
restart but after that I stopped it and restarted it again. That got it
stuck on the repairing the pc splash screen which I left it on for another
4 hours and still nothing so I got into the startup menu and got into the
recover option, which really meant restore windows 10.
And that's it, I have now a newly formated drive with the laptop ready for
initial setup and may files gone!

I just want to gauge how likely it is that I can get my files back and if
there's any tools I can suggest to the IT guy.

Thank you.
Best Regards
            Luis

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 19:41 Denny Esterline, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recent discussion on Hack-a-day about data recovery.
>

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/
>

> The comment section might contain some nuggets worth digging for.
>

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM Luis Moreira <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > Looking for some info and experiences you may have had in the past.
> >
> > My company issued Laptop, just failed on Startup yesterday and I've lost
> > quite a bit of valuable data and files. I know what you are going to say,
> > no Backup? No I'm afraid not, as my IT department will not supply it,
> since
> > we are all suppose to work on the network not on our C: drive! Anyway, I
> > should have had setup some manual backup strategy.
> > So here we are. I couldn't recover the laptop after startup so I done
> > recovery, but what that actually meant was a clean install of windows 10,
> > so all my files are gone
> > Looking at the time it took, it can't have formated fully the drive, but
> > the IT department after several scans can not find any data.
> >
> > What I'm looking for, is some advice, software/service that you have
> > experience with, that could help me get at least some of my data/files
> > back.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Best regards
> >             Luis

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

David VanHorn-2
Recuva may help. I've had good luck with it in the past.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM Luis Moreira <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A bit more info on this issue, this is a HP laptop with that sure start
> thing and a ssd. I think the drive never had an issue, it all started with
> an issue with the wireless card. I restarted the laptop as normally this
> always gets it working fine, and that's when it got stuck on the
> splash screen for HP Sure start. I left it for about 3 hours trying to
> restart but after that I stopped it and restarted it again. That got it
> stuck on the repairing the pc splash screen which I left it on for another
> 4 hours and still nothing so I got into the startup menu and got into the
> recover option, which really meant restore windows 10.
> And that's it, I have now a newly formated drive with the laptop ready for
> initial setup and may files gone!
>
> I just want to gauge how likely it is that I can get my files back and if
> there's any tools I can suggest to the IT guy.
>
> Thank you.
> Best Regards
>             Luis
>
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 19:41 Denny Esterline, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Recent discussion on Hack-a-day about data recovery.
> >

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/
> >

> > The comment section might contain some nuggets worth digging for.
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM Luis Moreira <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > > Looking for some info and experiences you may have had in the past.
> > >
> > > My company issued Laptop, just failed on Startup yesterday and I've
> lost
> > > quite a bit of valuable data and files. I know what you are going to
> say,
> > > no Backup? No I'm afraid not, as my IT department will not supply it,
> > since
> > > we are all suppose to work on the network not on our C: drive! Anyway,
> > > should have had setup some manual backup strategy.
> > > So here we are. I couldn't recover the laptop after startup so I done
> > > recovery, but what that actually meant was a clean install of windows
> 10,
> > > so all my files are gone
> > > Looking at the time it took, it can't have formated fully the drive,
> but
> > > the IT department after several scans can not find any data.
> > >
> > > What I'm looking for, is some advice, software/service that you have
> > > experience with, that could help me get at least some of my data/files
> > > back.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > > Best regards
> > >             Luis

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Luis Moreira-5
Hi David,
Do you think this would work on a working formated disk?
Thank you.
Best Regards
           Luis

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 21:30 David VanHorn, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recuva may help. I've had good luck with it in the past.
>

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM Luis Moreira <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A bit more info on this issue, this is a HP laptop with that sure start
> > thing and a ssd. I think the drive never had an issue, it all started
> with
> > an issue with the wireless card. I restarted the laptop as normally this
> > always gets it working fine, and that's when it got stuck on the
> > splash screen for HP Sure start. I left it for about 3 hours trying to
> > restart but after that I stopped it and restarted it again. That got it
> > stuck on the repairing the pc splash screen which I left it on for
> another
> > 4 hours and still nothing so I got into the startup menu and got into the
> > recover option, which really meant restore windows 10.
> > And that's it, I have now a newly formated drive with the laptop ready
> for
> > initial setup and may files gone!
> >
> > I just want to gauge how likely it is that I can get my files back and if
> > there's any tools I can suggest to the IT guy.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Best Regards
> >             Luis
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 19:41 Denny Esterline, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Recent discussion on Hack-a-day about data recovery.
> > >

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/
> > >

> > > The comment section might contain some nuggets worth digging for.

> > lost
> > say,
> > > since
> Anyway,
> > 10,
> > but

> data/files

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

David VanHorn-2
yes

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:35 PM Luis Moreira <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
> Do you think this would work on a working formated disk?
> Thank you.
> Best Regards
>            Luis
>
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 21:30 David VanHorn, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Recuva may help. I've had good luck with it in the past.
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM Luis Moreira <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > A bit more info on this issue, this is a HP laptop with that sure start
> > > thing and a ssd. I think the drive never had an issue, it all started
> > with
> > > an issue with the wireless card. I restarted the laptop as normally
> this
> > > always gets it working fine, and that's when it got stuck on the
> > > splash screen for HP Sure start. I left it for about 3 hours trying to
> > > restart but after that I stopped it and restarted it again. That got it
> > > stuck on the repairing the pc splash screen which I left it on for
> > another
> > > 4 hours and still nothing so I got into the startup menu and got into
> the
> > > recover option, which really meant restore windows 10.
> > > And that's it, I have now a newly formated drive with the laptop ready
> > for
> > > initial setup and may files gone!
> > >
> > > I just want to gauge how likely it is that I can get my files back and
> if
> > > there's any tools I can suggest to the IT guy.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > > Best Regards
> > >             Luis

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/

> > > lost
> > > say,
> it,
> > Anyway,
> done
> windows
> > > 10,
> drive,
> > > but

> have
> > data/files

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Clint Jay
Was the laptop encrypted with Bitlocker? How was windows reinstalled? Was
the secure wipe in the BIOS used?

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 21:49 David VanHorn, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes
>

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:35 PM Luis Moreira <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> > Do you think this would work on a working formated disk?
> > Thank you.
> > Best Regards
> >            Luis
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 21:30 David VanHorn, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Recuva may help. I've had good luck with it in the past.

> start
> > > with
> > this
> it
> > > another
> > the
> ready
> > > for

> and
> > if

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/

> past.

> I've
> > it,
> > > Anyway,
> > done
> > windows
> > drive,

> > have
> > > data/files

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Luis Moreira-5
Hi Clint,
this is a company supplied laptop, not sure on what kind of encryption they
use.
I used the windows recover function on the HP sure start utility, not sure
what that uses.

Best Regards
                   Luis

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 23:31, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was the laptop encrypted with Bitlocker? How was windows reinstalled? Was
> the secure wipe in the BIOS used?
>

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 21:49 David VanHorn, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > yes
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:35 PM Luis Moreira <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi David,
> > > Do you think this would work on a working formated disk?
> > > Thank you.
> > > Best Regards
> > >            Luis

> > start
> started
> > > this
> got
> > it
> into
> > > the
> > ready

> > and
> > > if

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/

> > past.

> > I've
> going
> supply
> > > it,
> > > done
> > > windows
> > > drive,

> > > have

> archive
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Clint Jay
Hi Luis, we use a *lot* of HP laptops here, if your machine was encrypted
then it's doubtful you'll be able to recover anything. Bitlocker would have
required you to enter a PIN shortly after powering the machine up, if that
was the case then it's probably irretrievable.

If the drive was 'wiped' in the BIOS then the data will likely be
irretrievable as the SSD used in HP machines are self encrypting, the wipe
removes the keys used for encryption, rendering it unrecoverable.

If it was just a HP Web rebuild (did it ask to be connected to the
Internet?) then the standard tools like Recuva might be able to find data.

If it was a corporate rebuild, I.E. it connected to your organisation's
build servers then I'm afraid I have no idea how it was rebuilt (unless you
work for the same organisation as I do)

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 13:07, Luis Moreira <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Clint,
> this is a company supplied laptop, not sure on what kind of encryption they
> use.
> I used the windows recover function on the HP sure start utility, not sure
> what that uses.
>
> Best Regards
>                    Luis
>
> <
> >
> Virus-free.
> <

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 23:31, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Was the laptop encrypted with Bitlocker? How was windows reinstalled? Was
> > the secure wipe in the BIOS used?
> >

> > On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 21:49 David VanHorn, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > yes

> > > start
> > started
> normally
> trying
> > got
> > > it
> for
> > into
> > > ready

> back
> > > and

> [hidden email]>

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/

> for.

> > > past.

> and
> > > I've
> > going
> > supply
> drive!
> so

> you

> > archive

> archive
> >

> <
> >
> Virus-free.
> <

Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Re: [OT]: recover files from Hard drive

Luis Moreira-5
Hi Clint,
it was a HP web rebuild from my side, but now that I had to hand it over to
the "IT Expert" who knows.

I'm just waiting to find out if he could recover some of the data. I'm not
very hopeful. He just told me yesterday that two scans with two different
tools yielded  nothing...

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 13:27, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > > > > > >

> https://hackaday.com/2020/07/14/tales-from-the-sysadmin-impending-hard-drive-doom/

> > for.

> the

> > and
> > > going
> > > supply
> > drive!
> > so
> of
> the
> data.

> > you

> > > archive

> > archive

> archive
> > >

> > <

> > Virus-free.
> > <

> Clint. M0UAW IO83
>
> *No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
> of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*

Brooke Clarke
Hi:

Some years ago I lost a hard drive.  I caused the problem by mounting it in a "Drawer" that added mechanical connections
that were also electrical connections.
After sending the drive to Florida and having it returned.  I sent to to Drive Savers and they returned to me a USB hard
drive with pretty much all the files.
https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/
PS I have not financial stake, just a happy customer.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
https://www.PRC68.com
axioms:
1. The extent to which you can fix or improve something will be limited by how well you understand how it works.
2. Everybody, with no exceptions, holds false beliefs.