[OT] soldering mild steel sheet, galvanic corrosion?

[OT] soldering mild steel sheet, galvanic corrosion?

Jason White-20
Hi everyone,

I'm researching soldering/brazing thin steel sheet metal for a hobby
automotive project. (as an alternative to welding and spot welding*) The
purpose to is create a mechanical joint on a floor panel. The mechanical
joint will be subject to road salt spray.  I am trying to predict the
effects of corrosion.

As far as I can tell the type of sold/braze can have a big impact on
galvanic compatibility. Leaded solder looks fairly close to mild steel on
the "anodic index", I can't find any information for tin solder, and silver
based solder and bronze braze appear to be far away (promoting corrosion).

Does anyone have any input on the best solder/braze chemistry from a
corrosion perspective on mild steel?

*currently am not equipped with the correct welding equipment for sheet
metal, but am equipped to solder/braze.

Re: [OT] soldering mild steel sheet, galvanic corrosion?

louijp@gmail.com
Hi Jason,
What do you mean by equipped to solder/braze? Do you have an oxy-acetylene
torch?
You need very high temperature to weld/braze steel.

Just curious,
Jean-Paul
N1JPL

Sent from my Communication Rock Slate

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 6:41 AM Jason White <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm researching soldering/brazing thin steel sheet metal for a hobby
> automotive project. (as an alternative to welding and spot welding*) The
> purpose to is create a mechanical joint on a floor panel. The mechanical
> joint will be subject to road salt spray.  I am trying to predict the
> effects of corrosion.
>
> As far as I can tell the type of sold/braze can have a big impact on
> galvanic compatibility. Leaded solder looks fairly close to mild steel on
> the "anodic index", I can't find any information for tin solder, and silver
> based solder and bronze braze appear to be far away (promoting corrosion).
>
> Does anyone have any input on the best solder/braze chemistry from a
> corrosion perspective on mild steel?
>

> *currently am not equipped with the correct welding equipment for sheet
> metal, but am equipped to solder/braze.
>

> --
> Jason White

Re: [OT] soldering mild steel sheet, galvanic corrosion?

John Ferrell
Google "solder galvanized steel"

Consult "welding galvanized steel" to see why you really don't want to
do it.

On 6/16/2020 6:39 AM, Jason White wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm researching soldering/brazing thin steel sheet metal for a hobby
> automotive project. (as an alternative to welding and spot welding*) The
> purpose to is create a mechanical joint on a floor panel. The mechanical
> joint will be subject to road salt spray.  I am trying to predict the
> effects of corrosion.
>
> As far as I can tell the type of sold/braze can have a big impact on
> galvanic compatibility. Leaded solder looks fairly close to mild steel on
> the "anodic index", I can't find any information for tin solder, and silver
> based solder and bronze braze appear to be far away (promoting corrosion).
>
> Does anyone have any input on the best solder/braze chemistry from a
> corrosion perspective on mild steel?
>

> *currently am not equipped with the correct welding equipment for sheet
> metal, but am equipped to solder/braze.

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
    Julian NC 27283