[PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Jan-Erik Söderholm
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/piclist/

And a related question, can anyone browse and search
the piclist.com archive without beeing registred ?
Or in other words, are all posts freely available
outside the piclist mail-list group ?

No big deal, just interested... :-)

Best Regards,
Jan-Erik.

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Josh Koffman
I can field this one. You can browse and search on the piclist.com
archive without being registered for the mailing list. However, you do
have to be registered for the website, and it is very aggressive with
respects to people ripping large amounts of data from it. We admins
get an email or two a week saying "I registered on the website, how
come I can't post to the list".

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

On 6/10/05, Jan-Erik Soderholm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/piclist/
>
> And a related question, can anyone browse and search
> the piclist.com archive without beeing registred ?
> Or in other words, are all posts freely available
> outside the piclist mail-list group ?

ivp

Re: [OT:] Sheep urine used to reduce NO emissions

ivp
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1118378348338S5
21

I wonder how they collect sheep urine in the first place. Out in the
paddocks most of it runs off, befouling waterways and promoting
algae. NZ has one or two sheep, what a great export opportunity

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Martin Klingensmith-2

Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

> http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/piclist/
>
> And a related question, can anyone browse and search
> the piclist.com archive without beeing registred ?
> Or in other words, are all posts freely available
> outside the piclist mail-list group ?
>
> No big deal, just interested... :-)
>
> Best Regards,
> Jan-Erik.

I run that site. I'm glad someone find it useful because it seems that
Google and MSNBot use the most bandwidth. At least everything is text so
  the site uses very little bandwidth. The database is pretty hard on
the hardware though.
I'd like to improve my threading capabilities, I might do that this
summer sometime.
--
Martin K
http://wwia.org/

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

dave.w.turner
Well, not sure if they are posted on the official piclist page, but
having email addresses posted on the web is general very annoying for
people - every single email address of mine that has somehow found
it's way onto the web has since been bombarded with spam - including
this one, recently.

I (and probably many other people) would probably be a lot happier if
your site didn't include email addresses where any search or
spam-spider can easily find them.  If they need the email address to
contact one of us urgently, use one of those thingies where you type
in the text in a picture, before revealing addresses.

On 6/12/05, Martin K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> > http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/piclist/
> >
> > And a related question, can anyone browse and search
> > the piclist.com archive without beeing registred ?
> > Or in other words, are all posts freely available
> > outside the piclist mail-list group ?
> >
> > No big deal, just interested... :-)
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Jan-Erik.
> >

> I run that site. I'm glad someone find it useful because it seems that
> Google and MSNBot use the most bandwidth. At least everything is text so
>   the site uses very little bandwidth. The database is pretty hard on
> the hardware though.
> I'd like to improve my threading capabilities, I might do that this
> summer sometime.
> --
> Martin K
> http://wwia.org/

Dave
All us base are belong to you.

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Martin Klingensmith-2

[hidden email] wrote:

> Well, not sure if they are posted on the official piclist page, but
> having email addresses posted on the web is general very annoying for
> people - every single email address of mine that has somehow found
> it's way onto the web has since been bombarded with spam - including
> this one, recently.
>
> I (and probably many other people) would probably be a lot happier if
> your site didn't include email addresses where any search or
> spam-spider can easily find them.  If they need the email address to
> contact one of us urgently, use one of those thingies where you type
> in the text in a picture, before revealing addresses.

I don't know what you're talking about. My website removes emails
addresses for those who use a client that formats the message correctly.
I don't see your email address anywhere. Go here to see what I'm talking
about:
<http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/piclist/82460/>
No email address.
--
Martin K
http://wwia.org/

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Richard Prosser
I just ran a quick check My email address appears 876 times in your archive.
I realise this is probably a case of my client (Lotus Notes for most
of this time) possibly not formatting the replies etc. correctly & am
now using Gmail which appears to be OK.
But the dates appear a bit suspicious - starting in 1969 ??

Richard P

On 13/06/05, Martin K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Well, not sure if they are posted on the official piclist page, but
> > having email addresses posted on the web is general very annoying for
> > people - every single email address of mine that has somehow found
> > it's way onto the web has since been bombarded with spam - including
> > this one, recently.
> >
> > I (and probably many other people) would probably be a lot happier if
> > your site didn't include email addresses where any search or
> > spam-spider can easily find them.  If they need the email address to
> > contact one of us urgently, use one of those thingies where you type
> > in the text in a picture, before revealing addresses.
> >

> I don't know what you're talking about. My website removes emails
> addresses for those who use a client that formats the message correctly.
> I don't see your email address anywhere. Go here to see what I'm talking
> about:
> <http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/piclist/82460/>
> No email address.
> --
> Martin K
> http://wwia.org/

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Martin Klingensmith-2

Richard Prosser wrote:
> I just ran a quick check My email address appears 876 times in your archive.
> I realise this is probably a case of my client (Lotus Notes for most
> of this time) possibly not formatting the replies etc. correctly & am
> now using Gmail which appears to be OK.
> But the dates appear a bit suspicious - starting in 1969 ??
>
> Richard P

For some reason the dates from Gmail emails don't get correctly
formatted. It's on my list of things to do you could say. The date of
unix epoch is 1969 (time 0)

--
Martin K
http://wwia.org/

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Josh Koffman
My theory is that a lot of the archives only hide the email addresses
in the headers. Check out my quoted text below. I've modified the
address, but if I hadn't, it would be in the message body.

Admittedly this only occured to me this morning which means I've been
guilty of leaving the addresses in there for quite a few years.

Josh
fools.
        -Douglas Adams

On 6/12/05, Richard Prosser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just ran a quick check My email address appears 876 times in your archive.
> I realise this is probably a case of my client (Lotus Notes for most
> of this time) possibly not formatting the replies etc. correctly & am
> now using Gmail which appears to be OK.
> But the dates appear a bit suspicious - starting in 1969 ??

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

hector (Bugzilla)
Martin K wrote:

> Richard Prosser wrote:
>
>> I just ran a quick check My email address appears 876 times in your
>> archive.
>> I realise this is probably a case of my client (Lotus Notes for most
>> of this time) possibly not formatting the replies etc. correctly & am
>> now using Gmail which appears to be OK.
>> But the dates appear a bit suspicious - starting in 1969 ??
>>
>> Richard P
>>

> For some reason the dates from Gmail emails don't get correctly
> formatted. It's on my list of things to do you could say. The date of
> unix epoch is 1969 (time 0)

My mails appear with the correct date, others don't.

Also, there is a "lt 2003" ad the end of messages with the wrong date
(at least the ones I've looked at).

See http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/PICLIST/79873/

--
Hector Martin ([hidden email])
Public Key: http://www.marcansoft.com/hector.asc

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Peter-159

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 [hidden email] wrote:

> Well, not sure if they are posted on the official piclist page, but
> having email addresses posted on the web is general very annoying for
> people - every single email address of mine that has somehow found
> it's way onto the web has since been bombarded with spam - including
> this one, recently.

My email address is on my webpage since 1996. It's a question of running
the right tools for the right environment. In my case, bogofilter. I
hardly ever see spam (the filter eats it).

Peter

RE: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

Wouter van Ooijen
> My email address is on my webpage since 1996. It's a question
> of running
> the right tools for the right environment. In my case, bogofilter. I
> hardly ever see spam (the filter eats it).

Can't do that, my filters have found out that I am a vegetarian so they
refuse to eat any meat products :(

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: www.voti.nl/hvu

Re: [PIC:] Anyone seen this site ?

dave.w.turner
The problem with my filters, is that I recieve a bit of spam each day,
i.e. a few emails, and the spam email box sits there blinking at me,
saying it contains 3 emails, and when I end up delving in to them,
checking if they are important, I have wasted the same amount of time,
and I may as well not have spam filters.  I wish it would just delete
them for good.

Must be strong....  Mustn't click spam link.  Hmphhhh.  Must move
pointer away from spam icon.  Icon flashing - it's sooo pretty.
<click>  Make money quick $$$ free XXX get it now $X$X$X$X$
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!.

<Falls to the floor, in a coma>