PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
Some devices now supported on the PK2 (e.g. PIC16F1825)
are not supported by MPLAB 8.73 - The last 8 release (.87)
does'nt indicate support either.

Is there a workaround ?

 thanks, Jack

Re: PicKit2 device support

Jan-Erik Söderholm
I have MPLAB 8.86 installed and the device you mention
(together with most/all other PIC16F1xxx devices)
is/are in the "Configure" -> "Select Device" menu.

What specificaly do you mean with "not supported" ?

Jan-Erik.

John Gardner wrote 2012-09-04 18:37:
> Some devices now supported on the PK2 (e.g. PIC16F1825)
> are not supported by MPLAB 8.73 - The last 8 release (.87)
> does'nt indicate support either.
>
> Is there a workaround ?
>
>   thanks, Jack

Re: PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
I have 8.73 installed; my PicKit 2 lists both versions of the '1825,
but MPLAB IDE tells me the device is not supported by the PK2
and disconnects it..

Spent the morning digging in the 8.87 release notes (see below)
trying to determine if <that> IDE supports the '1825 <AND> the
PK2, with no luck.

"Devices Supported.htm" seems to be the current disinformation.
And, it's wrong about the PK2 / '1825...

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002

In your 8.86 implementation, w2hen you click through :

 "Configure ->  Select Device  ->   PIC..."

does it show a PICF1825 and/or PIC16LF1825?

If you select it, does the dialog box indicate the PK2 supports the device?

I'm trying to avoid installing 8.87, just to find out it does'nt support
PK2  +  PIC16(L)F1825...

Thanks for your help.

 Jack

Re: PicKit2 device support

Jan-Erik Söderholm

John Gardner wrote 2012-09-04 23:37:
> I have 8.73 installed; my PicKit 2 lists both versions of the '1825,
> but MPLAB IDE tells me the device is not supported by the PK2
> and disconnects it..

It *is* supported by MPLAB as such.
It *is* supported by the "PICkit2 application".
It is *not* supported by the builtin PICkit2 driver in MPLAB.

This has been so all the time with most PIC16F1xxx devices.

No problem, just run the "PICkit2 Application" and enable
automatic HEX-file polling and burning...

> Spent the morning digging in the 8.87 release notes (see below)
> trying to determine if <that> IDE supports the '1825 <AND> the
> PK2, with no luck.
>
> "Devices Supported.htm" seems to be the current disinformation.
> And, it's wrong about the PK2 / '1825...
>
> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002

Check :

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en027813

and look for "1825" under "PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61".

Jan-Erik.

Re: PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
...This has been so all the time with most PIC16F1xxx devices.

Thanks. My 1st venture with 16F1xxx.....

...look for "1825" under "PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61".

Already installed - Works fine with Microcode Studio, for instance.

OK, thanks again.

 Jack

BTW, dare I ask if MPLAB X ...  ?

Re: PicKit2 device support

Tamas Rudnai
I think OP wants to get it work from MPLAB (maybe fo debugging too?). I
can't see this device as was supported by MPLAB from this list.

Btw, years back I tried copying the device support files to the MPLAB's
directory and as far as I remember it worked at least for programming a
device. Not sure if this is still true?

Tamas

On 4 September 2012 14:52, Jan-Erik Soderholm
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> John Gardner wrote 2012-09-04 23:37:
> > I have 8.73 installed; my PicKit 2 lists both versions of the '1825,
> > but MPLAB IDE tells me the device is not supported by the PK2
> > and disconnects it..
>
> It *is* supported by MPLAB as such.
> It *is* supported by the "PICkit2 application".
> It is *not* supported by the builtin PICkit2 driver in MPLAB.
>
> This has been so all the time with most PIC16F1xxx devices.
>
> No problem, just run the "PICkit2 Application" and enable
> automatic HEX-file polling and burning...
>

> > Spent the morning digging in the 8.87 release notes (see below)
> > trying to determine if <that> IDE supports the '1825 <AND> the
> > PK2, with no luck.
> >
> > "Devices Supported.htm" seems to be the current disinformation.
> > And, it's wrong about the PK2 / '1825...
> >

> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002
> >

> Check :
>

> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en027813
>
> and look for "1825" under "PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61".
>
> Jan-Erik.

int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="int main() { char *a,*s,*q;
printf(s=%s%s%s, q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",
q="\"",s,q,q,a="\\",q,q,q,a,a,q); }

Re: PicKit2 device support

Jan-Erik Söderholm
John Gardner wrote 2012-09-05 00:04:

> ...This has been so all the time with most PIC16F1xxx devices.
>
> Thanks. My 1st venture with 16F1xxx.....
>
> ...look for "1825" under "PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61".
>
> Already installed - Works fine with Microcode Studio, for instance.
>
> OK, thanks again.
>
>   Jack
>
> BTW, dare I ask if MPLAB X ...  ?

Well, don't ask me. :-)
I'll probably stay with MPLAB on Windows until that doesn't work.

B.t.w, I'we been using a 16F1938 with MPLAB and using the stand-alone
PICkit2 application configured to automaticly look for a new HEX file.
Works like a charm. Just click "make" and the PIC gets re-flashed.

 > Thanks. My 1st venture with 16F1xxx.....

They are *realy* nice. My 16F1938 is using a continous 384 byte buffer
allocated from the "linear memory" using all the new features of
the index registers (like MOVIW/MOVWI). Neat... :-)

Jan-Erik.

Re: PicKit2 device support

Jan-Erik Söderholm
Tamas Rudnai wrote 2012-09-05 00:07:

> I think OP wants to get it work from MPLAB (maybe fo debugging too?).

I'm not guessing.

> I can't see this device as was supported by MPLAB from this list.

It sure is supported by MPLAB, not?
And there should no problem using it with MPASM/MPLINK/MPSIM.

Is is *not* supported by the builtin driver for PICkit2 in MPLAB.
Just as most other 16F1xxxx devices.

One has to use the stand-alone PICkit2 application.
Or get a PICkit3... :-)

Jan-Erik.

> Btw, years back I tried copying the device support files to the MPLAB's
> directory and as far as I remember it worked at least for programming a
> device. Not sure if this is still true?
>
> Tamas
>

> On 4 September 2012 14:52, Jan-Erik Soderholm
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> John Gardner wrote 2012-09-04 23:37:
>>> I have 8.73 installed; my PicKit 2 lists both versions of the '1825,
>>> but MPLAB IDE tells me the device is not supported by the PK2
>>> and disconnects it..
>>
>> It *is* supported by MPLAB as such.
>> It *is* supported by the "PICkit2 application".
>> It is *not* supported by the builtin PICkit2 driver in MPLAB.
>>
>> This has been so all the time with most PIC16F1xxx devices.
>>
>> No problem, just run the "PICkit2 Application" and enable
>> automatic HEX-file polling and burning...
>>

>>> Spent the morning digging in the 8.87 release notes (see below)
>>> trying to determine if <that> IDE supports the '1825 <AND> the
>>> PK2, with no luck.
>>>
>>> "Devices Supported.htm" seems to be the current disinformation.
>>> And, it's wrong about the PK2 / '1825...
>>>

>> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002
>>>

>> Check :
>>

>> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en027813
>>
>> and look for "1825" under "PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61".
>>
>> Jan-Erik.

Re: PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
...Btw, years back...

Yes, that occured to me - Once there was only ".inc",
but now ".dev" too, and Bog knows what else - And
where to get them...

Jan-Erik is correct about just importing the hex file into
the programmer app, of course - That'll do for now.

Any thoughts about MPLAB X? I don't hear a lot of
weeping & gnashing of teeth, so maybe it works?

 Jack

Re: PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
Thanks, Jan-Erik.

 Jack

Re: PicKit2 device support

Joe Wronski
MPLAB X works OK with 16F1825,  XC8, and ICD3.
But, in Project Properies, under Hardware Tools, PICKit2 is listed with
2 red circles next to it, while ICD3 and PICKit3 have 2 green circles.

Joe W

On 9/4/2012 6:04 PM, John Gardner wrote:

> ...This has been so all the time with most PIC16F1xxx devices.
>
> Thanks. My 1st venture with 16F1xxx.....
>
> ...look for "1825" under "PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61".
>
> Already installed - Works fine with Microcode Studio, for instance.
>
> OK, thanks again.
>
>   Jack
>
> BTW, dare I ask if MPLAB X ...  ?

Re: PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
Joe - Thanks. Good to know.

I upgraded to AVR Studio 6 last week, and uninstalled it
yesterday. Gigantic ( >1 GB, installed ), runs like molasses
in February, and so un-intuitive I thought I'd gotten a PCB
design program by mistake. Unbelievable.

 Jack

Re: PicKit2 device support

Xiaofan Chen
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM, John Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Joe - Thanks. Good to know.
>
> I upgraded to AVR Studio 6 last week, and uninstalled it
> yesterday. Gigantic ( >1 GB, installed ), runs like molasses
> in February, and so un-intuitive I thought I'd gotten a PCB
> design program by mistake. Unbelievable.

AVR Studio 5/6 is based on Visual Studio Shell (VS2010)
and you may need to have more memory to run it more
smoothly. With a cheap Windows 7 64bit machine and
8GB memory (also cheap), it should run quite smooth.

--
Xiaofan

Re: PicKit2 device support

Tamas Rudnai
Actually I could not make it run - on My Mac I have a VirtualBox with an XP
-- Atmel Studio 6 crashes on it. I also happen to have a Bootcamp with a
Win 7 on it, the 20GB is not quite enough to fit the OS and the Atmel
Studio 6 together. I mean 20 GB ! Crazy stuff, but I guess for normal
people who use PC with 1TB disk, it should not be a big deal.

Tamas

On 4 September 2012 19:12, Xiaofan Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM, John Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Joe - Thanks. Good to know.
> >
> > I upgraded to AVR Studio 6 last week, and uninstalled it
> > yesterday. Gigantic ( >1 GB, installed ), runs like molasses
> > in February, and so un-intuitive I thought I'd gotten a PCB
> > design program by mistake. Unbelievable.
>
> AVR Studio 5/6 is based on Visual Studio Shell (VS2010)
> and you may need to have more memory to run it more
> smoothly. With a cheap Windows 7 64bit machine and
> 8GB memory (also cheap), it should run quite smooth.
>

> --
> Xiaofan

int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="int main() { char *a,*s,*q;
printf(s=%s%s%s, q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",
q="\"",s,q,q,a="\\",q,q,q,a,a,q); }

Re: PicKit2 device support

John Gardner
Thanks Xiaofan - I'm in the 32-bit ghetto, unfortunately... :)

Tamas also spracht -

... for normal people who use PC with 1TB disk,..

Oh well...  Thanks, Tamas :)

Re: PicKit2 device support

Xiaofan Chen
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Tamas Rudnai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually I could not make it run - on My Mac I have a VirtualBox with an XP
> -- Atmel Studio 6 crashes on it. I also happen to have a Bootcamp with a
> Win 7 on it, the 20GB is not quite enough to fit the OS and the Atmel
> Studio 6 together. I mean 20 GB ! Crazy stuff, but I guess for normal
> people who use PC with 1TB disk, it should not be a big deal.

I have not installed Atmel Studio 6 myself. But I have installed the
previous version Atmel AVR Studio 5 under a Windows 7 x64
machine with only 2GB memory, it works fine albeit a bit slow.

Interestingly now my main home machine is a Mac Mini 2011
which I upgraded the memory to 8GB (before it was 2GB and
OS X Lion 10.7.4 was really slow). I have installed many VirtualBox
VM on this Mac Mini (XP, XP64, Vista 64, Win7 x86, Ubuntu
Linux 12.04, FreeBSD 9, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc) and
they seem to run fine, Windows 8 Release Preview does
not run very smooth though.

But if I were to use Bootcamp to run Windows, I would not
put only 20GB for it, that is really too small if you intend to
do any real development under the Windows OS. My Win 7 VM
is about 80GB. All the VMs add to about 250GB, occupying
about half of the total disk space for the Mac Mini's 500GB.

--
Xiaofan

Re: PicKit2 device support

Tamas Rudnai
On 4 September 2012 19:48, John Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... for normal people who use PC with 1TB disk,..
>
> Oh well...  Thanks, Tamas :)

Any time ... :D

Tamas

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM, John Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Xiaofan - I'm in the 32-bit ghetto, unfortunately... :)

Same here at work, XP SP3 x86 with 2GB memory as the main machine
(Dell Latitude E6410 laptop).

With one of the our own software using Visual Studio Shell, I do not
want to run that software under my laptop.

Some of the colleagues in the other isle are carrying out the
upgrades of their desktop machine -- 16GB memory and 1TB drive.

--
Xiaofan

Re: PicKit2 device support

William Westfield

On Sep 4, 2012, at 5:25 PM, John Gardner wrote:

> I upgraded to AVR Studio 6 last week, and uninstalled it
> yesterday. Gigantic ( >1 GB, installed )

There was assorted flameage over on avrfreaks, so I did a comparison.
AS5 was about 2.65GB of install.  MPLAB-X was about 2.3GB.
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=912521#912521

I haven't used them enough to compare speed or "intuitiveness."

BillW

Re: PicKit2 device support

Bob Blick-4

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 08:42 AM, William Chops Westfield wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2012, at 5:25 PM, John Gardner wrote:
>
> > I upgraded to AVR Studio 6 last week, and uninstalled it
> > yesterday. Gigantic ( >1 GB, installed )
>
> There was assorted flameage over on avrfreaks, so I did a comparison.
> AS5 was about 2.65GB of install.  MPLAB-X was about 2.3GB.
> http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=912521#912521
>
> I haven't used them enough to compare speed or "intuitiveness."

TI's Code Composer Studio for MSP430 is about the same. Download was
about a gigabyte!

Cheers,
Bob

--