Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
I've been working with a few high-school kids (who I informally refer
to as interns) for some time now doing "robotics stuff" (really
anything related to engineering, science, etc).  They come over to my
office a couple times each week and design, engineer, draw, CAD, CAM,
machine, fabricate, assemble, wire, solder, code and ignite (but yes,
those are planned and supervised).

Since late last year we've been building a multi-axis robotic workcell
that will be the basic platform for a pick-and-place machine, and for
a 3D printer.  And we now have significant results to show!  But the
key to this post is to show off what these kids have accomplished -- a
functioning robotic workcell.  Significant kudos to them!!!

There are some pieces that need to be made to make it a complete
pick-and-place system (like feeders and some software), and we'll be
building an extruder head later to make it a 3D printer.

Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids have
started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.  BTW, we'll happily
accept any support/assistance -- financial or components (such as
gyros, GPS modules, Rx & Tx modules, etc), or Arduino modules.  We've
already ordered brushless motors and ESC's.  I'll post details on our
intended control system later.

Anyway, here is project 1... http://veisystems.com/nose/workcell.html

Cheers,
-Neil.

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Sean Breheny
Really awesome! Thanks for sending the link!

Sean

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM, PICdude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been working with a few high-school kids (who I informally refer
> to as interns) for some time now doing "robotics stuff" (really
> anything related to engineering, science, etc).  They come over to my
> office a couple times each week and design, engineer, draw, CAD, CAM,
> machine, fabricate, assemble, wire, solder, code and ignite (but yes,
> those are planned and supervised).
>
> Since late last year we've been building a multi-axis robotic workcell
> that will be the basic platform for a pick-and-place machine, and for
> a 3D printer.  And we now have significant results to show!  But the
> key to this post is to show off what these kids have accomplished -- a
> functioning robotic workcell.  Significant kudos to them!!!
>
> There are some pieces that need to be made to make it a complete
> pick-and-place system (like feeders and some software), and we'll be
> building an extruder head later to make it a 3D printer.
>
> Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids have
> started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.  BTW, we'll happily
> accept any support/assistance -- financial or components (such as
> gyros, GPS modules, Rx & Tx modules, etc), or Arduino modules.  We've
> already ordered brushless motors and ESC's.  I'll post details on our
> intended control system later.
>
> Anyway, here is project 1... http://veisystems.com/nose/workcell.html
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

> Since late last year we've been building a multi-axis robotic workcell

Impressive.
Team photo needs updating.
Miike looks somewhat like me.

Why did you choose this project out of the many possible contenders?
What's the UAV copter based on?

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
Quoting RussellMc <[hidden email]>:

>> Since late last year we've been building a multi-axis robotic workcell
>
> Impressive.
> Team photo needs updating.
> Miike looks somewhat like me.
>
> Why did you choose this project out of the many possible contenders?
> What's the UAV copter based on?
>

>                Russell

Avoided posting their photos since they're under 18, but I've been
meaning to get their parents' permission to do so.  It's been on my
to-do list along with a few gazillion other things.  Mike's (probably)
a bit younger than you. :)

Of the initial projects, this was a somewhat universal platform for
many other things.  The project lists changes (grows) periodically
based on ideas and discussions that arise.  The kids vote on which
projects get done in which order, but before they vote, I add the vote
of reason (cost, or current testing-space constraints in the case of
the segway).  The 3D printer was supposed to be next, but I really
wanted them to have a fun project for themselves, and something they
can take back to school and show off, so we brought the UAV quadcopter
to the top of the list.

The Quadcopter will be a common 4-boom cross with 4 motors and props
pulling vertically, stabilized with gyros and accelerometers, and
controlled with an Arduino (chosen so I can get more of the kids into
programming).  A GPS will control it's position (as well as a
barometric altimeter).  It will have video camera (live feed if cost
is low), and the final test (as determined by the kids), is if it can
bring us a milkshake from a local restaurant (though I have to
determine the legality of flying one of these things around town).

Cheers,
-Neil.

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Sean Breheny
Neil,

If you need any input/advice on the Quadcopter, I did my Master's
thesis on the design of one of these. We were moderately successful
(it could hover autonomously indoors with no wind).

Sean

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM, PICdude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Quadcopter will be a common 4-boom cross with 4 motors and props
> pulling vertically, stabilized with gyros and accelerometers, and
> controlled with an Arduino (chosen so I can get more of the kids into
> programming).  A GPS will control it's position (as well as a
> barometric altimeter).  It will have video camera (live feed if cost
> is low), and the final test (as determined by the kids), is if it can
> bring us a milkshake from a local restaurant (though I have to
> determine the legality of flying one of these things around town).
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
Quoting Sean Breheny <[hidden email]>:

> Neil,
>
> If you need any input/advice on the Quadcopter, I did my Master's
> thesis on the design of one of these. We were moderately successful
> (it could hover autonomously indoors with no wind).
>
> Sean

You're on!  I have a vague idea (my own thoughts) of how the control
code should work, but very inspired by this guy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvH2f-AewX8 , and would expect our ~4lb
copter to be decently stable in wind.

FWIW, I see that Sparkfun sells a UAV-specific version of the Arduino,
and DIY Drones has an almost ready-to-go UAV controller board
(apparently run by a PIC32), with a code library that includes the
stabilizing code.  I've not researched beyond this yet, but not sure I
want to go that route, as a major part of the fun and accomplishment
is writing our own code.  But I will be looking for general concepts.
I'll let you know when we get closer to that point.  Thanks.

Cheers,
-Neil.

Re: Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Lee Mulvogue
Just in case you aren't aware, there are a few quad/tri/hex/octo/etc
copter arduino projects that are using gyros from the Wii Motion Plus
($10 clones work) and accelerometers from the Wii nunchucks (again,
clones cheaply available).  Just search the likes of rcgroups.com
 And RE: Arduino modules, if you have any way of burning a
bootloader, check out the "one-chip ardiuino", using software USB

http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/obaka/project-5/index_en.html
 Oh, and if you _do_ have such capabilities... can you burn me one as
well?  Please?
 Lee
  Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids
have
 started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.  BTW, we'll happily

 accept any support/assistance -- financial or components (such as
 gyros, GPS modules, Rx & Tx modules, etc), or Arduino modules.
We've
 already ordered brushless motors and ESC's.  I'll post details on
our
 intended control system later.

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

> Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids have
> started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.

FYI - here's a comment from someone I know whose group built a Quad
copter before they were all the rage. Left hand threads do have their
place - as do wired nuts, tabbed lock washers and more. :

"For xxx, we thought it prudent to cage the rotors, in case the motors
overspeeded.  That was never an issue that I know about, though I
wasn't very involved in the project (I think I would have heard about
an overspeed cato, though).

One thing that didn't occur to anyone was to get left handed threads
for the Jesus nuts of the counter-rotating rotors.  Fortunately that
flight test was tethered, and out on Nate's balcony.  When the nut
departed and the rotor took flight, it bounced off the balcony ceiling
before it did anything else.  That dumped most of its kinetic energy,
and when it sailed out into the apartment complex courtyard, it didn't
get far.  They found it a few minutes later down by the pool.  The
vehicle just thumped back down onto the table when the rotor departed.
 We suspected the software overspeed controller had kicked in on the
departure motor, but with no telemetry, there was no way to be sure."

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

John Gardner
Neill -

For a different approach, take a look at

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx

You'll find motion-control of various kinds, if you look
for them.

Sounds like smart kids!

Jack

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
Will check it out, thanks.

In the meanwhile, we setup Mach 3 on Win2k on an old laptop (with a
par-port) for testing, and got this result...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9RjazuPbY

Cheers,
-Neil.

Quoting John Gardner <[hidden email]>:

> Neill -
>
> For a different approach, take a look at
>
> http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx
>
> You'll find motion-control of various kinds, if you look
> for them.
>
> Sounds like smart kids!
>
> Jack

Re: Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
Interesting.  We're still wondering/researching if to do CW and CCW on
opposing sides, or all one direction.  But situation duly noted.

We've started the quad-rotor project, which is simply dubbed "QuaRC"
for now cause no one has yet been creative enough to come up with an
acronym that would rhyme with "orange" (my requirement).

The website has been updated with some of this...
http://www.veisystems.com/nose/

In other news, we have video of the PnP in basic X-Y testing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9RjazuPbY

Cheers,
-Neil.

Quoting RussellMc <[hidden email]>:

>> Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids have
>> started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.
>
> FYI - here's a comment from someone I know whose group built a Quad
> copter before they were all the rage. Left hand threads do have their
> place - as do wired nuts, tabbed lock washers and more. :
>
> "For xxx, we thought it prudent to cage the rotors, in case the motors
> overspeeded.  That was never an issue that I know about, though I
> wasn't very involved in the project (I think I would have heard about
> an overspeed cato, though).
>
> One thing that didn't occur to anyone was to get left handed threads
> for the Jesus nuts of the counter-rotating rotors.  Fortunately that
> flight test was tethered, and out on Nate's balcony.  When the nut
> departed and the rotor took flight, it bounced off the balcony ceiling
> before it did anything else.  That dumped most of its kinetic energy,
> and when it sailed out into the apartment complex courtyard, it didn't
> get far.  They found it a few minutes later down by the pool.  The
> vehicle just thumped back down onto the table when the rotor departed.
>  We suspected the software overspeed controller had kicked in on the
> departure motor, but with no telemetry, there was no way to be sure."

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

Neil

9 years on ...
What was the outcome of this P&P project

        Russell

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 at 16:29, PICdude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been working with a few high-school kids (who I informally refer
> to as interns) for some time now doing "robotics stuff" (really
> anything related to engineering, science, etc).  They come over to my
> office a couple times each week and design, engineer, draw, CAD, CAM,
> machine, fabricate, assemble, wire, solder, code and ignite (but yes,
> those are planned and supervised).
>
> Since late last year we've been building a multi-axis robotic workcell
> that will be the basic platform for a pick-and-place machine, and for
> a 3D printer.  And we now have significant results to show!  But the
> key to this post is to show off what these kids have accomplished -- a
> functioning robotic workcell.  Significant kudos to them!!!
>
> There are some pieces that need to be made to make it a complete
> pick-and-place system (like feeders and some software), and we'll be
> building an extruder head later to make it a 3D printer.
>
> Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids have
> started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.  BTW, we'll happily
> accept any support/assistance -- financial or components (such as
> gyros, GPS modules, Rx & Tx modules, etc), or Arduino modules.  We've
> already ordered brushless motors and ESC's.  I'll post details on our
> intended control system later.
>
> Anyway, here is project 1... http://veisystems.com/nose/workcell.html
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
Wow... you dug up some memories there.  We had some success with it
(purposely slow test example here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUKeabHpYIc ) , but then I acquired and
older ready-to-go PnP machine, so it never actually got any PnP use.

Later, I did modify it to dispense chemicals (using a syringe air
dispenser thing) and that worked well.

Even later, the machine became a cookie printer for Maker Faire -- 4
years ago.  And it was a big hit.  Early testing videos (because I'm bad
at recording things) here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR3eQUtN-w

Currently, I am slooooowly working on making it a multi-head 3D-printer,
but where all 4+ heads move together to print multiple copies of parts
simultaneously.

Cheers,
-Neil.

On 11/12/2019 3:34 AM, RussellMc wrote:

> Neil
>
> 9 years on ...
> What was the outcome of this P&P project
>

>          Russell
>

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 at 16:29, PICdude <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've been working with a few high-school kids (who I informally refer
>> to as interns) for some time now doing "robotics stuff" (really
>> anything related to engineering, science, etc).  They come over to my
>> office a couple times each week and design, engineer, draw, CAD, CAM,
>> machine, fabricate, assemble, wire, solder, code and ignite (but yes,
>> those are planned and supervised).
>>
>> Since late last year we've been building a multi-axis robotic workcell
>> that will be the basic platform for a pick-and-place machine, and for
>> a 3D printer.  And we now have significant results to show!  But the
>> key to this post is to show off what these kids have accomplished -- a
>> functioning robotic workcell.  Significant kudos to them!!!
>>
>> There are some pieces that need to be made to make it a complete
>> pick-and-place system (like feeders and some software), and we'll be
>> building an extruder head later to make it a 3D printer.
>>
>> Since my time has been tight (to finish the software), the kids have
>> started project number two -- a UAV quad-copter.  BTW, we'll happily
>> accept any support/assistance -- financial or components (such as
>> gyros, GPS modules, Rx & Tx modules, etc), or Arduino modules.  We've
>> already ordered brushless motors and ESC's.  I'll post details on our
>> intended control system later.
>>
>> Anyway, here is project 1... http://veisystems.com/nose/workcell.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Neil.

RE: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

Alan Pearce - UKRI STFC
> Even later, the machine became a cookie printer for Maker Faire -- 4 years ago.  And it was a big hit.
>  Early testing videos (because I'm bad at recording things) here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR3eQUtN-w

Wow, some time since I've heard stepper motors "play the scales" like that ... :)

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

Neil
That was before I discovered that grbl would let me buffer G-code
commands. :P

Cheers,
-Neil.

On 11/12/2019 9:42 AM, Alan Pearce - UKRI STFC wrote:
>> Even later, the machine became a cookie printer for Maker Faire -- 4 years ago.  And it was a big hit.
>>   Early testing videos (because I'm bad at recording things) here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR3eQUtN-w
>
> Wow, some time since I've heard stepper motors "play the scales" like that ... :)

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

mad.scientist.at.large
Finally nap time i think.  Started on the couch and sorted at least most of my mail, nearly a whole grocery bag of junk mail!  I'm pushing to be ready for your' mac this weekend.  I'll probably do the external fan later today.  When you come over you can help me put the doors on the rack, I should have the sides on by then.

-- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”

Nov 12, 2019, 08:03 by [hidden email]:

> That was before I discovered that grbl would let me buffer G-code
> commands. :P
>
> Cheers,
> -Neil.
>

> On 11/12/2019 9:42 AM, Alan Pearce - UKRI STFC wrote:
>
>>> Even later, the machine became a cookie printer for Maker Faire -- 4 years ago.  And it was a big hit.
>>>  Early testing videos (because I'm bad at recording things) here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR3eQUtN-w
>>>

>> Wow, some time since I've heard stepper motors "play the scales" like that ... :)

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

mad.scientist.at.large
SORRY, CLUMSY tired fingers, sent that the wrong place DOH!
-- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”

Nov 12, 2019, 08:39 by [hidden email]:

> Finally nap time i think.  Started on the couch and sorted at least most of my mail, nearly a whole grocery bag of junk mail!  I'm pushing to be ready for your' mac this weekend.  I'll probably do the external fan later today.  When you come over you can help me put the doors on the rack, I should have the sides on by then.
>
> -- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”
>

> Nov 12, 2019, 08:03 by [hidden email]:
>
>> That was before I discovered that grbl would let me buffer G-code
>> commands. :P
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Neil.

>>> Wow, some time since I've heard stepper motors "play the scales" like that ... :)

RE: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

Alan Pearce - UKRI STFC
And the (whole) Piclist world saw (well, all those who subscribe to [OT] anyway) :)

SORRY, CLUMSY tired fingers, sent that the wrong place DOH!
-- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”

Nov 12, 2019, 08:39 by [hidden email]:

> Finally nap time i think.  Started on the couch and sorted at least most of my mail, nearly a whole grocery bag of junk mail!  I'm pushing to be ready for your' mac this weekend.  I'll probably do the external fan later today.  When you come over you can help me put the doors on the rack, I should have the sides on by then.
>
> -- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”
>

> Nov 12, 2019, 08:03 by [hidden email]:
>
>> That was before I discovered that grbl would let me buffer G-code
>> commands. :P
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Neil.

>>> Wow, some time since I've heard stepper motors "play the scales"
>>> like that ... :)

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

Chris Roper
> wrote:

> And the (whole) Piclist world saw (well, all those who subscribe to [OT]
> anyway) :)

You will disturb his nap ;>)

Re: [OT] Pick-and-place / RW

mad.scientist.at.large
Always happy to display my humanity.

-- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”

Nov 12, 2019, 12:33 by [hidden email]: