Quantcast

Pickit 2

Joshua Shriver
What is a PicKit 2 "programmer extension"?

I recently bought a nice PK2 burner off ebay, and the seller mentioned
it has a "programmer extension" not included. Not sure what that
means.

Here is the snippet from the ebay page:

"You are bidding on one pic kit 2 programmer for be used with
Microchip PICKIT2 to work on pic microcontrollers just using your own
circuit and the ICD2 interface or the available programmer extension
(not included)."

-Josh

Re: Pickit 2

hector (Bugzilla)
He probably means a socket wired to the PK2 to program chips out of
circuit. I just throw the chip on a breadboard and wire it up to the PK2.

--
Hector Martin ([hidden email])
Public Key: http://www.marcansoft.com/marcan.asc

Re: Pickit 2

Bob Axtell
Joshua Shriver wrote:

> What is a PicKit 2 "programmer extension"?
>
> I recently bought a nice PK2 burner off ebay, and the seller mentioned
> it has a "programmer extension" not included. Not sure what that
> means.
>
> Here is the snippet from the ebay page:
>
> "You are bidding on one pic kit 2 programmer for be used with
> Microchip PICKIT2 to work on pic microcontrollers just using your own
> circuit and the ICD2 interface or the available programmer extension
> (not included)."
>
> -Josh

I know that guy. So far _MY_ Pickit2 from him doesn't work. Just a warning.

--Bob A

Re: Pickit 2

Xiaofan Chen
On Dec 30, 2007 9:36 AM, Bob Axtell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know that guy. So far _MY_ Pickit2 from him doesn't work. Just a warning.

Have you tried the troubleshooting guide of PICkit 2 PC application V2.4?

By the way, why buy the PICkit 2 clones (in general bigger and uglier)
when the real PICkit 2 is small and cute? Especially since you are in
USA and the shipment cost is not that high.

For people outside USA, the shipment charge for PICkti 2 is a bit too
high. Hopefully they can do something about it (to sell through
distributors/resellers).

Xiaofan

Re: Pickit 2

Xiaofan Chen
On Dec 30, 2007 6:04 AM, Joshua Shriver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is a PicKit 2 "programmer extension"?
>
> I recently bought a nice PK2 burner off ebay, and the seller mentioned
> it has a "programmer extension" not included. Not sure what that
> means.

Most likely it is an external programming adapter. I am using the
one I described in this forum post:
http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=264400

Pure Microchip based solution is a bit too complicated.
Quote from the answer of the current PICkit 2 developer Walter:
"There is the AC162049 Universal Programming Adapater that can be used with
PICkit 2 with the AC164110 RJ-11 to ICSP adapter.  One other item of importance
is that the resistor R1 must be removed from the Universal Programming
Adapter for
PICkit 2 use, as the PICkit 2 VPP pin can't support the current to
drive the LED."

If you have problems with PICkit 2, you should visit the Microchip Forum and
read the sticky posts on the top.
http://forum.microchip.com/tt.aspx?forumid=15

Documentation about PICkit 2:
http://www.microchip.com/pickit2

Xiaofan

Xiaofan

Re: Pickit 2

Dario Greggio (in giro)
Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> For people outside USA, the shipment charge for PICkti 2 is a bit too
> high. Hopefully they can do something about it (to sell through
> distributors/resellers).

That was one point which prevented me from getting one for some time
(actually I did not need it since I have my own USB programmer).
But I chose to get it from AUgroups since its price and shipment were
reasonable (10$).

--
Ciao, Dario

Re: Pickit 2

msi1259
Joshua Shriver wrote:
> What is a PicKit 2 "programmer extension"? <snip>

They may mean the PicKit2 demo programming board. (
http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164120 ).
It's a great board to carry with the PicKit2 and a laptop for trying out
programs and/or playing. The 8 pin chips can use the leds simply by
adding jumpers to the inline header, and the header looks like it could
drive a character LCD. The PicKit2 Starter kit includes the demo
programming board - I gave one to an electronics student as a Christmas
gift - it comes with tutorials and demo software that is a nice
introduction to Pics.

Re: Pickit 2

Funny NYPD
With the RJ12 connector designed on our CB0703 (PICkit2), a "RJ12 6-pin reverse cable (part #CBL-RJ12-RVS)" can be used to connect target board/programmers designed for ICD2. Please also see "question 6" on this FAQ (Rev.B) link:

http://www.auelectronics.selfip.com/QandAForCB0703_RevB.pdf

Both "RJ12 Cable to Board for programming (part # CBL-RJ12-Program)" and "RJ12 6 pin Single Ended Cable (part #CBL-RJ12-SGE)" can be soldered to board directly. More info is available here:

http://www.auelectronics.selfip.com/System-PICkit2.htm

 By the way, the promotion price for BB0703 (with lifetime warranty) will be ended after Dec-31-2007.

Happy New Year!

Funny N.
New Bedford, MA