Question (probably often repeated) about "Unable to mmap process text, errno 12"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question (probably often repeated) about "Unable to mmap process text, errno 12"

Mark Laubach
X-SpamDetect-Info: ------------- Start ASpam results ---------------
X-SpamDetect-Info: This message may be spam. This message BODY has been altered to show you the spam information
X-SpamDetect: ****: 4.000000 GreyPassed=1.0, DodgySource=2.0, SPF Default Fail=1.0
X-SpamDetect-Info: ------------- End ASpam results -----------------

Greetings to the list,

I'm new to uClinux and also new to using Coldfire.  Sorry this is a repeat
question, but I could use some pointers.  I'm trying to run a large program
for the first time on a stock kernel configuration on an M5208EVBE.

From what I've read on previous lists and via google searches, it looks
to me that this program should load and run or that I've got to increase
maximum program size from 1MB to 8MB.  Can someone confirm and give me some
pointers with some  supplemental guidance?

To cut down on this email size: /proc/meminfo, /proc/slabinfo, and kernel
reboot messages are at: http://www.matmos.com/memprob/index.html

Thanks for any pointers and help.

Cheers,
Mark Laubach


Allocation of length 1352000 from process 68 failed
DMA per-cpu: empty
DMA32 per-cpu: empty
Normal per-cpu:
cpu 0 hot: high 6, batch 1 used:1
cpu 0 cold: high 2, batch 1 used:0
HighMem per-cpu: empty
Free pages:       24272kB (0kB HighMem)
Active:501 inactive:246 dirty:0 writeback:0 unstable:0 free:6068 slab:585
mapped:0 pagetables:0
DMA free:0kB min:0kB low:0kB high:0kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:0kB
pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 32 32
DMA32 free:0kB min:0kB low:0kB high:0kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:0kB
pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 32 32
Normal free:24272kB min:724kB low:904kB high:1084kB active:2004kB
inactive:984kB present:32768kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0 0
HighMem free:0kB min:128kB low:128kB high:128kB active:0kB inactive:0kB
present:0kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0 0
DMA: empty
DMA32: empty
Normal: 32*4kB 4*8kB 1*16kB 1*32kB 0*64kB 0*128kB 2*256kB 0*512kB 1*1024kB
1*2048kB 5*4096kB = 24272kB
HighMem: empty
Unable to mmap process text, errno 12




---
[hidden email]              Send a post to the list.
[hidden email]        Join the list.
[hidden email]    Join the list in digest mode.
[hidden email]     Leave the list.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question (probably often repeated) about "Unable to mmap process text, errno 12"

Greg Ungerer
Hi Mark,

Mark Laubach wrote:
> I'm new to uClinux and also new to using Coldfire.  Sorry this is a repeat
> question, but I could use some pointers.  I'm trying to run a large program
> for the first time on a stock kernel configuration on an M5208EVBE.

I assume from the boot traces below you are using linux-2.6.17-uc1?


>>From what I've read on previous lists and via google searches, it looks
> to me that this program should load and run or that I've got to increase
> maximum program size from 1MB to 8MB.  Can someone confirm and give me some
> pointers with some  supplemental guidance?

By default the kmalloc limit was about 1MB on 2.6.17 I think.

IIRC on 2.6.17 you want to enable the CONFIG_LARGE_ALLOCS kernel
config option to allow kmalloc's up to 32MB maximum. You can find
that option and set it using any of your favourite config make's
(config, menuconfig, xconfig, etc), in the "Processor type and
features" section.

(On newer kernel versions this is done a little differently).

Regards
Greg



> To cut down on this email size: /proc/meminfo, /proc/slabinfo, and kernel
> reboot messages are at: http://www.matmos.com/memprob/index.html
>
> Thanks for any pointers and help.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark Laubach
>
>
> Allocation of length 1352000 from process 68 failed
> DMA per-cpu: empty
> DMA32 per-cpu: empty
> Normal per-cpu:
> cpu 0 hot: high 6, batch 1 used:1
> cpu 0 cold: high 2, batch 1 used:0
> HighMem per-cpu: empty
> Free pages:       24272kB (0kB HighMem)
> Active:501 inactive:246 dirty:0 writeback:0 unstable:0 free:6068 slab:585
> mapped:0 pagetables:0
> DMA free:0kB min:0kB low:0kB high:0kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:0kB
> pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
> lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 32 32
> DMA32 free:0kB min:0kB low:0kB high:0kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:0kB
> pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
> lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 32 32
> Normal free:24272kB min:724kB low:904kB high:1084kB active:2004kB
> inactive:984kB present:32768kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
> lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0 0
> HighMem free:0kB min:128kB low:128kB high:128kB active:0kB inactive:0kB
> present:0kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
> lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0 0
> DMA: empty
> DMA32: empty
> Normal: 32*4kB 4*8kB 1*16kB 1*32kB 0*64kB 0*128kB 2*256kB 0*512kB 1*1024kB
> 1*2048kB 5*4096kB = 24272kB
> HighMem: empty
> Unable to mmap process text, errno 12
>
>
>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]              Send a post to the list.
> [hidden email]        Join the list.
> [hidden email]    Join the list in digest mode.
> [hidden email]     Leave the list.
>
>

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     [hidden email]
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
825 Stanley St,                             FAX:         +61 7 3891 3630
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia         WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com
---
[hidden email]              Send a post to the list.
[hidden email]        Join the list.
[hidden email]    Join the list in digest mode.
[hidden email]     Leave the list.