RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Michael Rigby-Jones

A fairly balanced view of the benefits and disadvantages of each:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/researchDevelopment/technologyFeatures/cmos.shtml

Regards

Mike

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.

RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Dominic Stratten
I've had some suprising results from these "cheap" cameras.

I got one free when I purchased over 30gbp worth of products from a
stationery store. I wasn’t overly happy with the focus so stripped it down
to see if I could improve it a bit.

It turned out the lens was stuck on with silicone adhesive and had moved a
bit. When removed and refocussed it was a lot better. Then I had a little
play and found you could adjust the focal length down to a few mm which made
it ideal for cheap macro photography.

I also had a play with fitting it with my Canon 35mm lens which with the
help of a toilet roll core brought up some good results as well.

If you're really bored I've uploaded some sample pictures to my site - worth
a quick look for a <$10 camera :-)

http://partsfortrade.com/macro/1.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/2.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/3.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/4.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/5.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/6.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/7.jpg
http://partsfortrade.com/macro/8.jpg

Re: [EE] Disposable camcorder

William Westfield
On Jun 9, 2005, at 1:33 AM, Dominic Stratten wrote:

> I've had some suprising results from these "cheap" cameras.

Frankly, given the "disposability" of cell phones, your chances of
finding
an interfacable camera may be better there.

Does anyone have any pointers to sites on hacking old cellphones into
general purpose compute platforms?

BillW

RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Howard Winter
Dominic,

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:33:02 +0100, Dominic Stratten wrote:

> I've had some suprising results from these "cheap" cameras.
>
> I got one free when I purchased over 30gbp worth of products from a
> stationery store. I wasn't overly happy with the focus so stripped it down
> to see if I could improve it a bit.

Can I ask where this was (was it one of the chains like Rymans or Staples), and is the offer still going?

>...<
> I also had a play with fitting it with my Canon 35mm lens which with the
> help of a toilet roll core brought up some good results as well.
>
> If you're really bored I've uploaded some sample pictures to my site - worth
> a quick look for a <$10 camera :-)

Very impressive (and useful!).  The watch photo, in particular, is amazingly good quality.

Just one thing, howcome the pound coin in picture 6 is reversed?

Cheers,

Howard Winter
St.Albans, Herts

RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Michael Rigby-Jones

Howard,

In what way reversed?  It looks ok to me, though obviously upside down.

Regards

Mike

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.

RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Dominic Stratten
It was done ages ago with an offer from Staples Mail order. The offer got
closed down pretty quickly - you could buy a ruler for 20p and get a free
camera (plus shipping).

The camera that turned up was an ATiPix LS300 (300k pixels)

Very cheap and cheerful - no flash but operates (briefly) on a single AAA
battery.

And as someone else has said - the pound coin is upsidedown not mirrored ;)

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:33:02 +0100, Dominic Stratten wrote:

> I've had some suprising results from these "cheap" cameras.
>
> I got one free when I purchased over 30gbp worth of products from a
> stationery store. I wasn't overly happy with the focus so stripped it
> down to see if I could improve it a bit.

Can I ask where this was (was it one of the chains like Rymans or Staples),
and is the offer still going?

>...<
> I also had a play with fitting it with my Canon 35mm lens which with
>the  help of a toilet roll core brought up some good results as well.
>
> If you're really bored I've uploaded some sample pictures to my site -
> worth a quick look for a <$10 camera :-)

Very impressive (and useful!).  The watch photo, in particular, is amazingly
good quality.

Just one thing, howcome the pound coin in picture 6 is reversed?

Cheers,

Howard Winter
St.Albans, Herts

RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Howard Winter
Mike,

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:45:13 +0100, Michael Rigby-Jones wrote:

> >From: Howard Winter [mailto:[hidden email]]
> >
> >Just one thing, howcome the pound coin in picture 6 is reversed?
> In what way reversed?  It looks ok to me, though obviously upside down.

Oops!

(Face) <---- (Egg)

Well I never was much good before noon... the fact that the "N" was almost upside down made it look backwards,
and I only glanced at it very briefly before thinking it was reversed...

Please ignore my previous message!  :-#

Cheers,

Howard Winter
St.Albans, England

Re: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Bill & Pookie
Very impressive pictures.
How do you interface to the camera?

Bill

RE: [EE] Disposable camcorder

Dominic Stratten
It came with a USB interface and lead.

Hardest part was getting the focus/position right as it didn’t have a
viewfinder. I used MSN Messenger and set up a webcam session between two
computers, got the position and focus right then used the camera function to
take the picture.

Fiddly but not bad for a freebie.

Dom