RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Dominic Stratten
And Olin doesn’t get a mention at all ? ;-)

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Hazelwood Lyle

>"Sing off" followed by "Opps, sign off" is my personal favorite although
>"Unsubscribble" is a close second.

OK, I'm a few days behind on my mail..
If we're voting for favorites, this one wins "Hands Down" :-)

"I lost my instructions - how do I get off?"

LyleHaze

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Peter-159

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Hazelwood Lyle wrote:
> "I lost my instructions - how do I get off?"

"Send a message containing the word UNSUBSCRBBLE to the list and the
friendly admins and about 850 friendly responders will tell you how to
do it"

Peter

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Carey Fisher - NCS

   > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Hazelwood Lyle wrote:
   > > "I lost my instructions - how do I get off?"
   >
   > "Send a message containing the word UNSUBSCRBBLE to the list and the
   > friendly admins and about 850 friendly responders will tell you how to
   > do it"
   >
   > Peter

Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
berate strangers for making mistakes, even
dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
plain courtesy?

Heck, it's just a MISTAKE!! It's not Child Molestation!!!
(whoops...better not go there!)

What hath Tim Berners-Lee wrought?

Carey

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Re: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Michael Rathbun
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:21:09 -0400, "Carey Fisher - NCS"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>   >
>   > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Hazelwood Lyle wrote:
>   > > "I lost my instructions - how do I get off?"
>   >
>   > "Send a message containing the word UNSUBSCRBBLE to the list and the
>   > friendly admins and about 850 friendly responders will tell you how to
>   > do it"
>   >
>   > Peter
>
>Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
>berate strangers for making mistakes, even
>dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
>plain courtesy?

I don't know how things are in your universe, but I've been participating
in text-based discussion forum thingies since 1980, and I observe that the
level of civility has remained roughly constant (i.e. usually OK but
occasionally deplorable) since then.  The appearance of the "web" in any
event is unrelated to a mailing list such as this one.

>What hath Tim Berners-Lee wrought?

I think that the Seminal Event you refer to is really The Advent Of Eternal
September.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September>

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Carey Fisher - NCS

   > >Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
   > >berate strangers for making mistakes, even
   > >dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
   > >plain courtesy?
   >
   > I don't know how things are in your universe, but I've been
   > participating
   > in text-based discussion forum thingies since 1980, and I
   > observe that the
   > level of civility has remained roughly constant (i.e. usually OK but
   > occasionally deplorable) since then.  The appearance of the
   > "web" in any
   > event is unrelated to a mailing list such as this one.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  I remember being on BBSes

(Bulletin Board Systems you dialed in to using your
homebrew modem.  They had limited number of
phone lines so you logged in, did your business and
got off.)  <--- explanation for young whippersnappers

in the early 80s and there were some pretty
nasty flame wars going on as early as that.

Now that I think about it, the same was true of
Compuserve and it's forums.

Carey

Re: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

D. Jay Newman
>    > >Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
>    > >berate strangers for making mistakes, even
>    > >dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
>    > >plain courtesy?

You haven't read Mark Twain? Or for that matter, most pre-computer
writers?

While the flame wars were slower, being done via the letters page of
various newspapers and magazines, they still happened.

Morrow (first name forgotten, writer of _Towing Jehova_ among other
stories) continues this tradition in my local paper.

Frankly IMNSHO Mark Twain would have left the worst flamer I've seen
crying on the floor amidst the smoldering remnents of their computer.

It's just now *anybody* can do this, not just the literate.
--
D. Jay Newman           ! Polititions and civilations come and
[hidden email]     ! go but the engineers and machinists

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Wouter van Ooijen
> Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
> berate strangers for making mistakes, even
> dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
> plain courtesy?
>
> Heck, it's just a MISTAKE!! It's not Child Molestation!!!

but neither is the response, you what's all the fuzz about?

Wouter van Ooijen [the thick-skinned Dutchman]

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: www.voti.nl/hvu

Re: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

John Ferrell-2
Like Mark Twain, we all (at some time) say or do something we regret. If we
are lucky, it just comes across as dumb. If we are not lucky, it is down
right malicious!

Some will forgive us, and others will not.

I hate it when I come across as a Jekyll-Hyde person when I wanted to look
like Clark Kent-Superman!

My apologies to those of other cultures who find the above cryptic. If I try
to rephrase it I will probably lose the meaning of what I was trying to say.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US

>>    > >Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
>>    > >berate strangers for making mistakes, even
>>    > >dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
>>    > >plain courtesy?
>
> You haven't read Mark Twain? Or for that matter, most pre-computer
> writers?
>
> While the flame wars were slower, being done via the letters page of
> various newspapers and magazines, they still happened.
>
> Morrow (first name forgotten, writer of _Towing Jehova_ among other
> stories) continues this tradition in my local paper.
>
> Frankly IMNSHO Mark Twain would have left the worst flamer I've seen
> crying on the floor amidst the smoldering remnents of their computer.
>
> It's just now *anybody* can do this, not just the literate.
> --
> D. Jay Newman           ! Polititions and civilations come and
> [hidden email]     ! go but the engineers and machinists
> http://enerd.ws/robots/ ! make progress

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Hazelwood Lyle
>   >
>   > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Hazelwood Lyle wrote:
>   > > "I lost my instructions - how do I get off?"
>   >
>   > "Send a message containing the word UNSUBSCRBBLE to the list and the
>   > friendly admins and about 850 friendly responders will tell you how to
>   > do it"
>   >
>   > Peter
>
>Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
>berate strangers for making mistakes, even
>dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
>plain courtesy?
>
>Heck, it's just a MISTAKE!! It's not Child Molestation!!!
>(whoops...better not go there!)
>
>What hath Tim Berners-Lee wrought?

Well, I'm kinda sorry that I said what I did.
It was not my intention to berate or embarass anyone.

I selected the line "I Lost my Instructions, How do I get off?" from the
provided list of amusing attempts from the past. I don't know who
originally posted it, and the reason I found it amusing may have been
lost in the translation.
(I find the idea of asking 800 strangers how to "Get Off" to be funny)

If I came across as a mean or bad person, I guess I'll have to live
with it. I would have preferred to have gotten a chuckle or two, but I
guess my sense of humor is a bit too twisted.

If my comments have offended anyone, I offer a genuine and heartfelt apology.
If anyone here needs instructions in how to "get off", I suggest reading the
instructions at the bottom of most Piclist messages, and then figuring out
how to get off in private.
:-)
Lyle

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Dave VanHorn

>If my comments have offended anyone, I offer a genuine and heartfelt apology.
>If anyone here needs instructions in how to "get off", I suggest reading the
>instructions at the bottom of most Piclist messages, and then figuring out
>how to get off in private.

How sad and lonely.. :)

Re: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

D. Jay Newman
> Like Mark Twain, we all (at some time) say or do something we regret. If we
> are lucky, it just comes across as dumb. If we are not lucky, it is down
> right malicious!

My comment wasn't meant to have anything to do with you, but rather
to say that flame wars have been happening as long as there have been
people to start and respond to them. The internet merely allows them
to happen faster and include more people.
--
D. Jay Newman           ! Polititions and civilations come and
[hidden email]     ! go but the engineers and machinists
http://enerd.ws/robots/ ! make progress

Re: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Peter-159

>>  > "Send a message containing the word UNSUBSCRBBLE to the list and the
>>  > friendly admins and about 850 friendly responders will tell you how to
>>  > do it"

I was trying to be funny.

Peter

Re: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

John Ferrell-2
I took no offense, I just made the post as a casual observation.
I find the OT area here to be good therepy for me.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US

>> Like Mark Twain, we all (at some time) say or do something we regret. If
>> we
>> are lucky, it just comes across as dumb. If we are not lucky, it is down
>> right malicious!
>
> My comment wasn't meant to have anything to do with you, but rather
> to say that flame wars have been happening as long as there have been
> people to start and respond to them. The internet merely allows them
> to happen faster and include more people.
> --
> D. Jay Newman           ! Polititions and civilations come and
> [hidden email]     ! go but the engineers and machinists
> http://enerd.ws/robots/ ! make progress

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Carey Fisher - NCS

   > >   >
   > >   > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Hazelwood Lyle wrote:
   > >   > > "I lost my instructions - how do I get off?"
   > >   >
   > >   > "Send a message containing the word UNSUBSCRBBLE to the
   > list and the
   > >   > friendly admins and about 850 friendly responders will
   > tell you how to
   > >   > do it"
   > >   >
   > >   > Peter
   > >
   > >Ya know, prior to the Web, people didn't publicly
   > >berate strangers for making mistakes, even
   > >dumb mistakes.  What the hell happened to just
   > >plain courtesy?
   > >
   > >Heck, it's just a MISTAKE!! It's not Child Molestation!!!
   > >(whoops...better not go there!)
   > >
   > >What hath Tim Berners-Lee wrought?
   > >Carey
   >
   > Well, I'm kinda sorry that I said what I did.
   > It was not my intention to berate or embarass anyone.
   >
   > I selected the line "I Lost my Instructions, How do I get
   > off?" from the
   > provided list of amusing attempts from the past. I don't know who
   > originally posted it, and the reason I found it amusing may have been
   > lost in the translation.
   > (I find the idea of asking 800 strangers how to "Get Off" to be funny)
   >
   > If I came across as a mean or bad person, I guess I'll have to live
   > with it. I would have preferred to have gotten a chuckle or two, but I
   > guess my sense of humor is a bit too twisted.
   >
   > If my comments have offended anyone, I offer a genuine and
   > heartfelt apology.
   > If anyone here needs instructions in how to "get off", I
   > suggest reading the
   > instructions at the bottom of most Piclist messages, and then
   > figuring out
   > how to get off in private.
   > :-)
   > Lyle
   >
   > --

'm sorry I made the post I made.  I was just blowing
off steam after reading one too many "RTFM" posts.
(On another group.)
I do feel the way I stated, it was just probably the wrong
place to post it.  (To tell the truth, I was also a little
bummed out about the Michael Jackson verdict but this
is NOT the place to discuss that.)

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Carey

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Michael Rigby-Jones

Lyle,

Seems to me the list has collected some very sensitive people, or at least ones with a total sense of humour failure.

Nothing you wrote was in the least bit offensive IMO, and I got a chuckle from it anyway ;-)

Regards

Mike

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Jim Robertson-3

>If I came across as a mean or bad person, I guess I'll have to
> >live with it. I would have preferred to have gotten a chuckle
> >or two, but I guess my sense of humor is a bit too twisted.

Well, I got the joke straight up and had a chuckle.  ;-)

Didn't see it as anything other than a joke.
BTW. You would hardly be the first to have an attempt at humor go belly-up on
the PICLIST.  Don't sweat it, it is the PICLIST itself that is a bit
twisted. ;-)

Regards,

Jim Robertson
NEWFOUND ELECTRONICS

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Spehro Pefhany

>Didn't see it as anything other than a joke.
>BTW. You would hardly be the first to have an attempt at humor go belly-up on
>the PICLIST.  Don't sweat it, it is the PICLIST itself that is a bit
>twisted. ;-)

Twisted Lister?

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
[hidden email]             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com
->> Inexpensive test equipment & parts http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZspeff

RE: [OT]: PICList t-shirt, was: SET PICLIST MAIL

Howard Winter
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:53:58 -0400, Carey Fisher - NCS
wrote:

> in the early 80s and there were some pretty
> nasty flame wars going on as early as that.
>
> Now that I think about it, the same was true of
> Compuserve and it's forums.

Not in *my* forum it wasn't!  My team made sure it was
all Good Clean Fun and anyone starting a flamewar didn't
get very far...

Cheers,

Howard (former Wizop of "Mad Dogs & Englishmen"
Compuserve forum)