Re: [OT:] Flicker Free

Mark Rages
On 6/8/05, Richard Prosser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a quick query - if movies are 24fps & TV is 25fps (50Hz) - when I
> watch a movie on TV is is "properly" converted, or do I watch a
> slightly sped up version?

Yes.

> I guess running a 24 fps movie at 25fps would not cause too much of a
> problem

You're more likely to notice the audio being 4% sharp.

> but for 60Hz systems I don't think 30fps would be acceptable
> - apart from anything else, the sound would noticably increase in
> pitch

For 60Hz systems, a system called "2:3" pulldown is used.  (I think it
is less confusing to write it as "2,3" pulldown because it is a
sequence rather than a ratio).

NTSC video is made of 60 fields per second.  So if we repeat one frame
of 24 fps film for two fields, than the next frame for three fields,
we get 2 frames of film lasting for 5 fields of video.  2/5 is the
same as 24/60.

If you think this might add some artifacts, making motion less smooth,
you're right.  But those of us in NTSC countries are pretty well used
to it.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie

Re: [OT:] Flicker Free

Alan B. Pearce
>As a quick query - if movies are 24fps & TV is 25fps (50Hz) - when I
>watch a movie on TV is is "properly" converted, or do I watch a
>slightly sped up version?

Films made for TV were shot at 25fps specifically to overcome this. Other
films shot at 24fps were shown at 25fps on TV, which does give slight speed
changes (and equivalent pitch changes in sound).

RE: [OT:] Flicker Free

Michael Rigby-Jones

Quite a few DVD productions have been using pitch shifting to eliminate this, but the pitch shifting often introduces annoying artifacts and distortion.  IMO the pitch shift isn't noticeable unless you can listen to the correct speed film next to the faster one.

Regards

Mike

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.