Re:[PIC] ICD2 connector

Tom Smith

The Microchip ICD2 uses an RJ12 6p6c connector. According to the ICD2 poster
one of the positions is not used (PGM). In catalogs you’ll find them
referred to as RJ11 also; they’re the same plug…just make sure they’re 6p6c.
The Olimex ICD2 clones use a Molex connector so I bought an RJ12 ratcheting
crimper and a 25-pack of RJ12 plugs and made a few cables. Crimper and plugs
can be found at Home Depot in the US. The crimper is a precision tool with a
corresponding price tag. If you only need to make a few connections there
are cheap versions of these tools but using them is not as pleasant as the
ratcheting models. This negates the lower cost of the clone, of course.
Sparkfun sells a small adapter with both a Molex and an RJ12 connector on a
small pcb. I use these together with a Molex terminated cable to connect
between the various boards I have on hand.

If you decide to go this route buy more RJ12 plugs than you think you need
since the cables don’t always pass the continuity test. (For the continuity
test I put a Sparkfun adapter on each end of the cable and check continuity
between the six-pin headers.) Mark each plug you install with a Sharpie and
if the cable fails the continuity test use a magnifier to inspect the
finished work. With a bad cable, you can’t gather much from a visual
inspection but maybe just enough to make an intelligent guess as to which
plug should be clipped and replaced. As with any other skill you get better
with practice.

Finally, I’ve seen on one or two sites where someone made a hybrid cable by
taking a flat six-conductor cable with an RJ12 connector on one end and
six-conductor ribbon cable with a Molex connector at the other end and
soldering the six fine wires together. But I don’t have much confidence in
this sort of thing.

I omitted some fine points. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

image001.jpg (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [PIC] ICD2 connector

dave.w.turner
What's the attachment?
On 6/14/05, Tom Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:> > The Microchip ICD2 uses an RJ12 6p6c connector. According to the ICD2 poster> one of the positions is not used (PGM). In catalogs you'll find them> referred to as RJ11 also; they're the same plug…just make sure they're 6p6c.> The Olimex ICD2 clones use a Molex connector so I bought an RJ12 ratcheting> crimper and a 25-pack of RJ12 plugs and made a few cables. Crimper and plugs> can be found at Home Depot in the US. The crimper is a precision tool with a> corresponding price tag. If you only need to make a few connections there> are cheap versions of these tools but using them is not as pleasant as the> ratcheting models. This negates the lower cost of the clone, of course.> Sparkfun sells a small adapter with both a Molex and an RJ12 connector on a> small pcb. I use these together with a Molex terminated cable to connect> between the various boards I have on hand.> > If you decide to go this route buy more RJ12 plugs than you think you need> since the cables don't always pass the continuity test. (For the continuity> test I put a Sparkfun adapter on each end of the cable and check continuity> between the six-pin headers.) Mark each plug you install with a Sharpie and> if the cable fails the continuity test use a magnifier to inspect the> finished work. With a bad cable, you can't gather much from a visual> inspection but maybe just enough to make an intelligent guess as to which> plug should be clipped and replaced. As with any other skill you get better> with practice.> > Finally, I've seen on one or two sites where someone made a hybrid cable by> taking a flat six-conductor cable with an RJ12 connector on one end and> six-conductor ribbon cable with a Molex connector at the other end and> soldering the six fine wires together. But I don't have much confidence in> this sort of thing.> > I omitted some fine points. If you have any questions feel free to ask.> > Cheers> > > --> http://www.piclist.com PIC/SX FAQ & list archive> View/change your membership options at> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/llistinfo/piclist> > > >

--
DaveAll us base are belong to you.

RE: [PIC] ICD2 connector

Tom Smith

[PIC] ICD2 Connection

Francois Robbertze
I have ordered an ICD2 and expecting it to arrive today...

I will connect the ICD2 to my PC via the RS232 cable and power the ICD2 with
a separate power supply.

My target board has its own power supply.

I will connect the Vss, Vdd, Mclr, CD1 and CD2 to the ICD2 as described in
MPLAB ICD2 Help

I understand that Vss and Vdd are neaded to program the PIC.(Targer board's
power off)

My question:

Is the ICD2 reverse power protected in debug mode? (Supply power to target
board - disabled)

(I just dont want the ICD2's smoke came out on the first attemp.....)

Regards

Francois

RE: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Tom Smith
The simplest response is: don't do anything before reading the manual
(http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51331a.pdf).
Check the diagrams, follow the procedures and you probably won't let the
magic blue smoke escape.

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

dave.w.turner
wouldn't it just be simpler to power the ICD off the target board, or
power the board off the ICD2?  I'm not sure if it likes having both
power on the ICD2 and on the target board.

On 6/15/05, Tom Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The simplest response is: don't do anything before reading the manual
> (http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51331a.pdf).
> Check the diagrams, follow the procedures and you probably won't let the
> magic blue smoke escape.

Dave
All us base are belong to you.

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Mike Hord
> wouldn't it just be simpler to power the ICD off the target board, or
> power the board off the ICD2?  I'm not sure if it likes having both
> power on the ICD2 and on the target board.

My thought would be similar:  why go through all these gyrations?
Hook it up through USB, power the ICD2 through USB and let the
target system power the driver.  Eliminates all those worries, as
long as your board can supply the extra ~5mA the ICD2 will draw.

Mike H.

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Francois Robbertze

> wouldn't it just be simpler to power the ICD off the target board, or
> power the board off the ICD2?  I'm not sure if it likes having both
> power on the ICD2 and on the target board.

Problem is that my target board powers the gsm modem, and other relays at
12V.

If I want to to power it from the pic I'll have to isolute the 5V circuit
from the rest and then connect the IDC2 to the 5V.

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

dave.w.turner
So the PIC is running at 12V?  Won't that fry it?  And, if there is a
part of the circuit at 5V, why can't you connect the ICD2 to it?

On 6/15/05, Francois Robbertze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > wouldn't it just be simpler to power the ICD off the target board, or
> > power the board off the ICD2?  I'm not sure if it likes having both
> > power on the ICD2 and on the target board.
>
> Problem is that my target board powers the gsm modem, and other relays at
> 12V.
>
> If I want to to power it from the pic I'll have to isolute the 5V circuit
> from the rest and then connect the IDC2 to the 5V.

Dave
All us base are belong to you.

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Mike Hord
> > wouldn't it just be simpler to power the ICD off the target board, or
> > power the board off the ICD2?  I'm not sure if it likes having both
> > power on the ICD2 and on the target board.
>
> Problem is that my target board powers the gsm modem, and other relays at
> 12V.
>
> If I want to to power it from the pic I'll have to isolute the 5V circuit
> from the rest and then connect the IDC2 to the 5V.

I'm EXTREMELY confused.  As I understand it, you have relays at 12V,
a PIC at 5V, and a GSM modem at something else (3.3V, maybe?).

Or is the PIC running at 3.3V, too?  If that's the case, then you really
are making this harder than it needs to be.  Just plug the ICD2 into
USB, plug into your board and let it go.  The ICD2 will adjust itself to
the power of the target board.  Right now, I'm using it at 3.5V on a
system.  Works wonderfully.

If I'm understanding the ICD2 right, there's a buffer in the ICD2 which
adjusts the I/O line voltages to match the target.

Mike H.

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Herbert Graf
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 15:33 -0500, Mike Hord wrote:
> If I'm understanding the ICD2 right, there's a buffer in the ICD2 which
> adjusts the I/O line voltages to match the target.

The way I understand it is the IOs have level shifting transceivers.
Transceivers of that type usually have two Vccs, one for each side.

When the ICD2 is set for "power supplied by target" it switches things
so that the "B" side of the transceivers is powered by the target.

So, as long as the Vcc you send the ICD2 matches the Vcc of your
circuit, it'll work (assuming that Vcc is in the range of what a PIC can
be powered by).

TTYL

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Francois Robbertze
Sorry Dave.

I typed it wrong. The PIC board(target board) is running with a 12 Volt
supply. The Pic is at 5Volt.

> So the PIC is running at 12V?  Won't that fry it?  And, if there is a
> part of the circuit at 5V, why can't you connect the ICD2 to it?

Out of experience I know that a PIC can handle 12V for a short period of
time...dont know what the reliability of that Pic will be after that.
***I think the magic smoke leaks out at about 14V ;)***

I have received the ICD2 and read the manual.
The Vdd and Vss pins MUST be connected for the ICD2 to function. It 'adaps'
the to the power of the Targer board.

I have connected the ICD2 to the PC via a RS232 cable and apply a 9VDC power
supply to the ICD2. (It also works fine with the USB cable alone - Powered
by the USB)

My targer board is powered by its own power supply

It works fine.

Thanks to all

Re: [PIC] ICD2 Connection

Howard Winter
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:32:07 +0100,
[hidden email] wrote:

> wouldn't it just be simpler to power the ICD off the
target board, or
> power the board off the ICD2?  I'm not sure if it
likes having both
> power on the ICD2 and on the target board.

Or easier still, power the ICD2 from the USB, and the
target board seperately.

Cheers,

Howard Winter
St.Albans, England