SMD glue

David C Brown
I have to mount a couple of Sot23-5 chips on adaptors.
In the past my attempts ar SMD soldering have resulted in my chasing the
chip around the board so it appears that gluing - or should I say bonding -
the chip to the board before soldering would be a good idea.
But I don't want to spend upwards of twenty quid on a serious adhesive.
So would "superglue do the job"?

David C Brown
43 Bings Road
Whaley Bridge
High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
<http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>

*Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: SMD glue

K S-7
No glue required.

Apply a tiny blob of solder on one pad. Then while re-heating up that blob,
use tweezers to place the part. Remove the heat - when the solder sets the
part is tacked to the board with that single pin. Reheat and adjust
placement if needed, else go ahead and solder the remaining pins.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 07:21 David C Brown, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have to mount a couple of Sot23-5 chips on adaptors.
> In the past my attempts ar SMD soldering have resulted in my chasing the
> chip around the board so it appears that gluing - or should I say bonding -
> the chip to the board before soldering would be a good idea.
> But I don't want to spend upwards of twenty quid on a serious adhesive.
> So would "superglue do the job"?

> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*

Re: SMD glue

Hi David,
If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins. Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already described.
Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

speff
The blob of solder and tweezers under a microscope is how I do it for one-offs.

A schmear of liquid flux before the blob from a flux pen doesn’t hurt.

SOT-23 are irritating in that they tend to fall out if the tape upside down. Not really an issue for a few but for hundreds it gets tiresome (hand placing on printed solder paste).

Best regards, SP

> On Sep 8, 2020, at 5:43 PM, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
> If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins. Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already described.
> Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

Ryan O'Connor
Yep this technique works great for me (I'd clip the adaptor board flat and
then still tack one pin first with tweezers), and also: a small chisel-nose
tip is best, and an iron that can be adjusted so you can turn the heat down
a bit.

Ryan

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 09:50, Spehro Pefhany <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The blob of solder and tweezers under a microscope is how I do it for
> one-offs.
>
> A schmear of liquid flux before the blob from a flux pen doesn’t hurt.
>
> SOT-23 are irritating in that they tend to fall out if the tape upside
> down. Not really an issue for a few but for hundreds it gets tiresome (hand
> placing on printed solder paste).
>
> Best regards, SP
>
> > On Sep 8, 2020, at 5:43 PM, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi David,
> > If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an
> alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins.
> Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already described.
> > Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

David C Brown
The "blob of solder on one pad" does not ensure that the other pads on the
chip are are aligned with the pads on  the board.  It could easily sit at
45 degrees.  It also requires me to hold the soldering iron in my very
clumsy left hand

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 22:40, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
> If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an
> alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins.
> Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already described.
> Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

Ryan O'Connor
David you can slide it into place and orient it while the solder tack is
hot. I suggest using your left hand to align it or nudge it into the blog.
It will take a number of tries while you practice to get it aligned.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 09:56, David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "blob of solder on one pad" does not ensure that the other pads on the
> chip are are aligned with the pads on  the board.  It could easily sit at
> 45 degrees.  It also requires me to hold the soldering iron in my very
> clumsy left hand
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>

> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 22:40, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> > If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an
> > alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins.
> > Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already
> described.
> > Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

Dave Lagzdin
The "clumsy hand" hold curved tweezers with the same wrist supported takes
much of the gross movements out and allows some finesse. Works for me
anyways.

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 17:56, David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "blob of solder on one pad" does not ensure that the other pads on the
> chip are are aligned with the pads on  the board.  It could easily sit at
> 45 degrees.  It also requires me to hold the soldering iron in my very
> clumsy left hand
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>

> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 22:40, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> > If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an
> > alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins.
> > Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already
> described.
> > Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

Alan Pearce
Also use "normally closed" tip tweezers, it saves the concentration of
having to hold the tweezers closed to grip the component, and saves it
going ping across the room as your fingers twist the tips relative to
each other, and hence out of alignment with the component.

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 23:20, Dave Lagzdin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "clumsy hand" hold curved tweezers with the same wrist supported takes
> much of the gross movements out and allows some finesse. Works for me
> anyways.
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 17:56, David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The "blob of solder on one pad" does not ensure that the other pads on the
> > chip are are aligned with the pads on  the board.  It could easily sit at
> > 45 degrees.  It also requires me to hold the soldering iron in my very
> > clumsy left hand
> > David C Brown
> > 43 Bings Road
> > Whaley Bridge
> > High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> > Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> > SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> > <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
> >

> > *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
> >

> > On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 22:40, Bob Blick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi David,
> > > If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an
> > > alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins.
> > > Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already
> > described.
> > > Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

madscientistatlarge
I'd recommend against super glue anywhere near soldering.  Super glue is a cyano-acrylate, when it gets hot it decomposes and produces hydrogen cyanide, Really, really not fun.  I found out the hard way cutting apart plastic that had been glued with it.  2 tiny, tiny puffs and I still felt bad the next day.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:19 PM, Dave Lagzdin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "clumsy hand" hold curved tweezers with the same wrist supported takes
> much of the gross movements out and allows some finesse. Works for me
> anyways.
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 17:56, David C Brown [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > The "blob of solder on one pad" does not ensure that the other pads on the
> > chip are are aligned with the pads on the board. It could easily sit at
> > 45 degrees. It also requires me to hold the soldering iron in my very
> > clumsy left hand
> >
> > David C Brown
> > 43 Bings Road
> > Whaley Bridge
> > High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
> > Derbyshire eMail: [hidden email]
> > SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> > http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb
> > Sent from my etch-a-sketch
> > On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 22:40, Bob Blick [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > > Hi David,
> > > If you're using those small adapter boards you could probably use an
> > > alligator clip to clamp the chip down while you solder a couple of pins.
> > > Otherwise, I second the blob of solder on one pad method already
> > > described.
> > > Friendly regards, Bob

Re: SMD glue

Sean Breheny
Very high temperatures (like in a fire) might yield HCN from cyanoacrylate
but at soldering iron temperature most likely it is just depolymerizing it
to the ethyl cyanoacrylate monomer (and then vaporizes it) - which produces
symptoms at an even lower concentration than HCN when breathed-in. Very
small amounts of HCN are produced in digestion of certain foods and our
bodies have a natural ability to metabolize cyanide as long as the dose is
very small. The amount which could be generated by heating a tiny drop of
cyanoacrylate would not be enough to cause symptoms (let alone serious
problems) in a person. However, the amount of ECA (ethyl cyanoacrylate)
vapor from a small drop which was vaporized could cause considerable
respiratory irritation - and some people are more sensitive to it than
others and can have stronger allergic reactions to it. I suspect that it
was ECA which caused your symptoms.
Sean

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM madscientistatlarge <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd recommend against super glue anywhere near soldering.  Super glue is a
> cyano-acrylate, when it gets hot it decomposes and produces hydrogen
> cyanide, Really, really not fun.  I found out the hard way cutting apart
> plastic that had been glued with it.  2 tiny, tiny puffs and I still felt
> bad the next day.
>

> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: SMD glue

Sean Breheny
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_cyanoacrylate

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 10:47 PM Sean Breheny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very high temperatures (like in a fire) might yield HCN from cyanoacrylate
> but at soldering iron temperature most likely it is just depolymerizing it
> to the ethyl cyanoacrylate monomer (and then vaporizes it) - which produces
> symptoms at an even lower concentration than HCN when breathed-in. Very
> small amounts of HCN are produced in digestion of certain foods and our
> bodies have a natural ability to metabolize cyanide as long as the dose is
> very small. The amount which could be generated by heating a tiny drop of
> cyanoacrylate would not be enough to cause symptoms (let alone serious
> problems) in a person. However, the amount of ECA (ethyl cyanoacrylate)
> vapor from a small drop which was vaporized could cause considerable
> respiratory irritation - and some people are more sensitive to it than
> others and can have stronger allergic reactions to it. I suspect that it
> was ECA which caused your symptoms.
> Sean
>

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM madscientistatlarge <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend against super glue anywhere near soldering.  Super glue is
>> a cyano-acrylate, when it gets hot it decomposes and produces hydrogen
>> cyanide, Really, really not fun.  I found out the hard way cutting apart
>> plastic that had been glued with it.  2 tiny, tiny puffs and I still felt
>> bad the next day.
>>

>> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: SMD glue

madscientistatlarge
Good to know, thank you.  The incident I had involved cutting slots in the outer tube of 2 plastic tubes glued with super glue.  I was using an abrasive wheel on a dremel tool.  I do have severer allergies to lots of things.  I was under unrelated stress at the time and I've noticed that stress seems to increase my sensitivity.  Thankfully most of my allergies have become less severe over time, as they tend to in most people.

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 8:47 PM, Sean Breheny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very high temperatures (like in a fire) might yield HCN from cyanoacrylate
> but at soldering iron temperature most likely it is just depolymerizing it
> to the ethyl cyanoacrylate monomer (and then vaporizes it) - which produces
> symptoms at an even lower concentration than HCN when breathed-in. Very
> small amounts of HCN are produced in digestion of certain foods and our
> bodies have a natural ability to metabolize cyanide as long as the dose is
> very small. The amount which could be generated by heating a tiny drop of
> cyanoacrylate would not be enough to cause symptoms (let alone serious
> problems) in a person. However, the amount of ECA (ethyl cyanoacrylate)
> vapor from a small drop which was vaporized could cause considerable
> respiratory irritation - and some people are more sensitive to it than
> others and can have stronger allergic reactions to it. I suspect that it
> was ECA which caused your symptoms.
> Sean
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM madscientistatlarge <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend against super glue anywhere near soldering. Super glue is a
> > cyano-acrylate, when it gets hot it decomposes and produces hydrogen
> > cyanide, Really, really not fun. I found out the hard way cutting apart
> > plastic that had been glued with it. 2 tiny, tiny puffs and I still felt
> > bad the next day.
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: SMD glue

William Westfield

> A schmear of liquid flux

I’ve found that gel flux is helpful to hold SMT parts in place after you’ve “poked” them into position.
It’s sort-of in between liquid flux (which doesn’t have enough “viscosity”) and paste flux (which tends to be inconveniently shaped and not “sticky."

You might get the same results by melting paste flux or letting liquid flux dry some…

I still only have about 60% success with 0.5mm LQFP packages :-(

BillW

Re: SMD glue

Clint Jay
Supergluing parts down for manual assembly sounds considerably more
difficult than using a pair of fine tipped tweezers to position the part
and blobbing one of the pins onto the pad with a dab of solder before
soldering the rest of the pins properly

You can clean up the blob later with a decent quality solder wick.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 04:01 madscientistatlarge, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good to know, thank you.  The incident I had involved cutting slots in the
> outer tube of 2 plastic tubes glued with super glue.  I was using an
> abrasive wheel on a dremel tool.  I do have severer allergies to lots of
> things.  I was under unrelated stress at the time and I've noticed that
> stress seems to increase my sensitivity.  Thankfully most of my allergies
> have become less severe over time, as they tend to in most people.
>

> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: SMD glue

David C Brown
The problem is that that is a three handed job with the kit I have.
Tweezers;  soldering iron;  magnifier:  each need a hand.
I could possibly make a clamp for the magnifier

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 08:47, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Supergluing parts down for manual assembly sounds considerably more
> difficult than using a pair of fine tipped tweezers to position the part
> and blobbing one of the pins onto the pad with a dab of solder before
> soldering the rest of the pins properly
>
> You can clean up the blob later with a decent quality solder wick.
>
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 04:01 madscientistatlarge, <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Good to know, thank you.  The incident I had involved cutting slots in
> the
> > outer tube of 2 plastic tubes glued with super glue.  I was using an
> > abrasive wheel on a dremel tool.  I do have severer allergies to lots of
> > things.  I was under unrelated stress at the time and I've noticed that
> > stress seems to increase my sensitivity.  Thankfully most of my allergies
> > have become less severe over time, as they tend to in most people.
> >

> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: SMD glue

madscientistatlarge
Magnifying head gear solves that problem, using a Loupe would also free a hand but you'd lose depth perception though it probably wouldn't matter.

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 6:50 AM, David C Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is that that is a three handed job with the kit I have.
> Tweezers; soldering iron; magnifier: each need a hand.
> I could possibly make a clamp for the magnifier
>
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb
>
> Sent from my etch-a-sketch
>
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 08:47, Clint Jay [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Supergluing parts down for manual assembly sounds considerably more
> > difficult than using a pair of fine tipped tweezers to position the part
> > and blobbing one of the pins onto the pad with a dab of solder before
> > soldering the rest of the pins properly
> > You can clean up the blob later with a decent quality solder wick.
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 04:01 madscientistatlarge, <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Good to know, thank you. The incident I had involved cutting slots in
> > > the
> > > outer tube of 2 plastic tubes glued with super glue. I was using an
> > > abrasive wheel on a dremel tool. I do have severer allergies to lots of
> > > things. I was under unrelated stress at the time and I've noticed that
> > > stress seems to increase my sensitivity. Thankfully most of my allergies
> > > have become less severe over time, as they tend to in most people.
> > > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Ah, yes, if you're juggling all that then you will have problems. If I need
a little extra magnification I have a magnifier/ring light on a gooseneck
which makes it really easy.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 13:52 David C Brown, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is that that is a three handed job with the kit I have.
> Tweezers;  soldering iron;  magnifier:  each need a hand.
> I could possibly make a clamp for the magnifier
> David C Brown
> 43 Bings Road
> Whaley Bridge
> High Peak                           Phone: 01663 733236
> Derbyshire                eMail: [hidden email]
> SK23 7ND          web: www.bings-knowle.co.uk/dcb
> <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~dcb>
>

> *Sent from my etch-a-sketch*
>

> On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 08:47, Clint Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Supergluing parts down for manual assembly sounds considerably more
> > difficult than using a pair of fine tipped tweezers to position the part
> > and blobbing one of the pins onto the pad with a dab of solder before
> > soldering the rest of the pins properly
> >
> > You can clean up the blob later with a decent quality solder wick.
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 04:01 madscientistatlarge, <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Good to know, thank you.  The incident I had involved cutting slots in
> > the
> > > outer tube of 2 plastic tubes glued with super glue.  I was using an
> > > abrasive wheel on a dremel tool.  I do have severer allergies to lots
> of
> > > things.  I was under unrelated stress at the time and I've noticed that
> > > stress seems to increase my sensitivity.  Thankfully most of my
> allergies
> > > have become less severe over time, as they tend to in most people.
> > >

> > > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Charles Craft
Not directly related but you did mention "flux". :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfIwHuGzUEk

This is the first I have seen a "flux meter" and how it affects solder.
(starting at about 1:25 into video)

>I’ve found that gel flux is helpful to hold SMT parts in place after you’ve “poked” them into position.
>It’s sort-of in between liquid flux (which doesn’t have enough “viscosity”) and paste flux (which tends to be inconveniently shaped and not “sticky."
>
>You might get the same results by melting paste flux or letting liquid flux dry some…
>
>I still only have about 60% success with 0.5mm LQFP packages :-(
>
>BillW

Re: SMD glue

Sean Breheny
Maybe it's just me but I find magnifying lamps to be almost unusable due to
the distortion of depth perception. I also find magnifying headgear to be
very annoying. I bought a used binocular inspection/assembly microscope on
ebay and never looked back. It makes even 0402 relatively easy.