Solar Powered irrigation

Alan Pearce
As many on here are very interested in solar power, an item came out
on the Instructables newsletter recently by an Australian farmer who
decided to invest in driving his irrigation with solar power instead
of using a diesel powered pump.
https://www.instructables.com/Building-a-Solar-System-for-Pumping-Agricultural-I

The article has some very interesting evaluations of the options and
assessments of the resulting installation, along with the various
precautions taken to deal with livestock, insects, and bush fires.
There are a number of downloadable PDFs throughout the article with
discussions of various aspects.

It looks like there was some government grant money behind the
investigation, so the evaluations et al look to have been done pretty
thoroughly.

Re: Solar Powered irrigation

James Cameron-2
On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 02:26:15PM +0100, Alan Pearce wrote:

> As many on here are very interested in solar power, an item came out
> on the Instructables newsletter recently by an Australian farmer who
> decided to invest in driving his irrigation with solar power instead
> of using a diesel powered pump.
> https://www.instructables.com/Building-a-Solar-System-for-Pumping-Agricultural-I
>
> The article has some very interesting evaluations of the options and
> assessments of the resulting installation, along with the various
> precautions taken to deal with livestock, insects, and bush fires.
> There are a number of downloadable PDFs throughout the article with
> discussions of various aspects.
>
> It looks like there was some government grant money behind the
> investigation, so the evaluations et al look to have been done pretty
> thoroughly.

Nice one, thanks.

I'm a rural landowner, and I've been involved in the Landcare program
in my area.  Unlike other systems I've heard of, the grant process is
tuned until the grant monies are taken.

I've used screw piers for my array.  They are hollow, so I got a free
set of deep ground temperature measurement points.  ;-)  I agree they
are near impossible to align.

I like the lowering of the pump into the creek using a flying fox
(zip-line).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/