Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Jason White-20
Hello, I just recently got a PicKit 3 and some of the new(ish)
PIC16F1503 microcontrollers. I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
far as I can tell at least. Power, data, clock, etc. all are hooked up
to the programmer on a solderless breadboard. When it comes time to
program the MCU the programmer does not detect the device at all
(device ID 0x00), when I put another MCU [a PIC16f690] in its place it
works just fine. I've tried both LVP and normal programming modes in
the IDE [MPLABX] to no avail. Just a note: I don't have any pull
up/down resistors in place, but I don't believe their needed.

Since I'm rather new to this programmer I must be making some mistake,
if anyone has some tips or tricks to make this work it would be
greatly appreciated.

Re: Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

A. Sergio Sena
Are you powering the PIC on the protoboard, or by the PK3 ?
There is an option on MPLAB to power the PIC by the programmer.

Regards,
Sérgio

On 18 May 2012 00:03, Jason White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I just recently got a PicKit 3 and some of the new(ish)
> PIC16F1503 microcontrollers. I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
> far as I can tell at least. Power, data, clock, etc. all are hooked up
> to the programmer on a solderless breadboard. When it comes time to
> program the MCU the programmer does not detect the device at all
> (device ID 0x00), when I put another MCU [a PIC16f690] in its place it
> works just fine. I've tried both LVP and normal programming modes in
> the IDE [MPLABX] to no avail. Just a note: I don't have any pull
> up/down resistors in place, but I don't believe their needed.
>
> Since I'm rather new to this programmer I must be making some mistake,
> if anyone has some tips or tricks to make this work it would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Jason White

A. Sérgio Sena

www.antoniosergiosena.com

Re: Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Jason White-20
> Are you powering the PIC on the protoboard, or by the PK3 ?
> There is an option on MPLAB to power the PIC by the programmer.
>
> Regards,
> Sérgio

It is powered through the protoboard.

Re: Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Dwayne Reid
At 05:03 PM 5/17/2012, Jason White wrote:

>Hello, I just recently got a PicKit 3 and some of the new(ish)
>PIC16F1503 microcontrollers. I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
>far as I can tell at least. Power, data, clock, etc. all are hooked up
>to the programmer on a solderless breadboard. When it comes time to
>program the MCU the programmer does not detect the device at all
>(device ID 0x00), when I put another MCU [a PIC16f690] in its place it
>works just fine. I've tried both LVP and normal programming modes in
>the IDE [MPLABX] to no avail. Just a note: I don't have any pull
>up/down resistors in place, but I don't believe their needed.
>
>Since I'm rather new to this programmer I must be making some mistake,
>if anyone has some tips or tricks to make this work it would be
>greatly appreciated.

I would be tempted to pull the chip from the breadboard and just
mini-hook clips to connect to its pins.  Or: solder wires to a socket.

I suspect that you may be running into capacitive coupling between
the CLK and DATA pins - some plastic breadboards have extremely high
capacitance between the rows.

Regardless, it should take only a few minutes to try this out.

dwayne

PS - I am assuming that you didn't swap the clk & data pins on the chip.

dwayne

--
Dwayne Reid   <[hidden email]>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA

Re: Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Jan-Erik Söderholm
Hi.

You have checked that the chip is supported by the PICkit3?
It should be, but sometimes one need the latest support files
and so on.

 > I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
 > far as I can tell at least.

Then tell us how! :-)

Without knowing more (or seeing the actual setup) I'm
guessing that you simply are doing something wrong... :-)

Jan-Erik.

Jason White wrote 2012-05-18 01:03:

> Hello, I just recently got a PicKit 3 and some of the new(ish)
> PIC16F1503 microcontrollers. I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
> far as I can tell at least. Power, data, clock, etc. all are hooked up
> to the programmer on a solderless breadboard. When it comes time to
> program the MCU the programmer does not detect the device at all
> (device ID 0x00), when I put another MCU [a PIC16f690] in its place it
> works just fine. I've tried both LVP and normal programming modes in
> the IDE [MPLABX] to no avail. Just a note: I don't have any pull
> up/down resistors in place, but I don't believe their needed.
>
> Since I'm rather new to this programmer I must be making some mistake,
> if anyone has some tips or tricks to make this work it would be
> greatly appreciated.

Re: Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Mark Hanchey-2
On 5/17/2012 7:03 PM, Jason White wrote:
> Hello, I just recently got a PicKit 3 and some of the new(ish)
> PIC16F1503 microcontrollers. I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
> far as I can tell at least. Power, data, clock, etc. all are hooked up
> to the programmer on a solderless breadboard

Do you have another 16F1503 chip that you can swap out  ? Sometimes it
can just be a bad chip. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I
had a dead 24X  pic the other day and nothing I could do would make it
work with the programmer, swapped it out and circuit works fine now.
Mark

Re: [PIC] Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

On 18 May 2012 11:03, Jason White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I just recently got a PicKit 3 and some of the new(ish)
> PIC16F1503 microcontrollers. I have the PIC hooked up correctly -as
> far as I can tell at least. Power, data, clock, etc. all are hooked up
> to the programmer on a solderless breadboard. When it comes time to
> program the MCU the programmer does not detect the device at all

Jason - did you resolves this issue.
I'm looking at using a PIC 16F1503 and it would be 'nice to know' if there
were any 'now known' but so far undocumented issues with it.

Re: [PIC] Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

Denny Esterline-2
Can't add anything useful about the Pic in question, but I just went
through a painful Pickit3 adventure....

Bought six new Pickit 3, couldn't get a single one to communicate with my
development machine (win7-64, MpLab 8.87, selected device dsPic33fj128mc804)
Plug one in, Mplab hangs on connecting. Unplug/replug it connects, but
hangs on downloading bootloader. An older (six months?) Pickit 3 works fine
on this PC.
After many hours of frustration and hair pulling, I did a virgin install of
MpLab 8.91 on a different computer. Plug in the Pickit3 and it connects and
updates all the relevant firmware - now they work fine on my development
machine too.

-Denny

Re: [PIC] Trouble Programming PIC16f1503 with PicKit3

I resolved the issue. I believe my problem came from the breadboard
not being a very friendly environment for the (the new higher speed
"improved") programmer. I found removing the chip from the breadboard
and putting into a dedicated programming socket worked fine. I've went
on to use this chip in a (small) run of boards without much incident
that wasn't self inflicted.

So, no unducmented issues that I currently am aware of. I did have to
submit a few tickets to fix mistakes in the preliminary documentation
(adc module), but that's fixed now.

-Jason White