WiFi communication over SPI bus

Byron Moran
I am using a PIC18LF46K22 on a simple device whose goal is to (In it's
absolute most simple terms): Read 3 temperature sensors, store that to
EEPROM via I2C, and loop that as it waits until it is placed on a charger.
It then uploads that data to a server-side application via the MRF24WBOMB
module from Microchip. This WiFi module appealed to me so much because it
has "WIFI EZCONFIG" and is supposedly easy to set up. Turns out, EZ CONFIG
is not compatible with the PIC that I am using. I have all functionality
written but I am completely unable to communicate with the WiFi module or
find an IP Stack to compile on it. Getting pretty desperate her and unable
to find any sources or example code anywhere regarding these two products.
Does anyone have experience with these or can suggest a place to start?
I've been at this for weeks to no avail.

Byron D Moran
Software Engineer
Connectivity Products Business Unit (CPBU)
Laird Technologies, Inc.
(330)992-9766

Re: WiFi communication over SPI bus

peter green-2
Byron Moran wrote:

> I am using a PIC18LF46K22 on a simple device whose goal is to (In it's
> absolute most simple terms): Read 3 temperature sensors, store that to
> EEPROM via I2C, and loop that as it waits until it is placed on a charger.
> It then uploads that data to a server-side application via the MRF24WBOMB
> module from Microchip. This WiFi module appealed to me so much because it
> has "WIFI EZCONFIG" and is supposedly easy to set up. Turns out, EZ CONFIG
> is not compatible with the PIC that I am using. I have all functionality
> written but I am completely unable to communicate with the WiFi module or
> find an IP Stack to compile on it. Getting pretty desperate her and unable
> to find any sources or example code anywhere regarding these two products.
> Does anyone have experience with these or can suggest a place to start
My suggestion would be to try and get it working on a pic that IS
supported by
the config tool. Then worry about porting to your final target.

Re: WiFi communication over SPI bus

Ruben Jönsson-2

> Byron Moran wrote:
> > I am using a PIC18LF46K22 on a simple device whose goal is to (In it's
> > absolute most simple terms): Read 3 temperature sensors, store that to
> > EEPROM via I2C, and loop that as it waits until it is placed on a charger.
> > It then uploads that data to a server-side application via the MRF24WBOMB
> > module from Microchip. This WiFi module appealed to me so much because it
> > has "WIFI EZCONFIG" and is supposedly easy to set up. Turns out, EZ CONFIG
> > is not compatible with the PIC that I am using. I have all functionality
> > written but I am completely unable to communicate with the WiFi module or
> > find an IP Stack to compile on it. Getting pretty desperate her and unable
> > to find any sources or example code anywhere regarding these two products.
> > Does anyone have experience with these or can suggest a place to start
> My suggestion would be to try and get it working on a pic that IS
> supported by
> the config tool. Then worry about porting to your final target.
> --

Have you tried to modify the EZConfig demo for that PIC?

You may also try to change the EEPROM to an SPI type since that is what is used
by the stack (both for configuration and can also be used for web pages).
Preferably to a FLASH device then (SST 25VF016B) since it can hold much more
data at roughly the same price.

If you have a serial port available you can also configure the WiFi through the
WiFi console and the serial port. This doesn't require the MPFS2 module or HTTP
server so it should be considerably smaller.

Unfortunately, I think you are pretty much stuck with the microchip TCP/IP
stack when it comes to the MRF24WB0MB. There isn't even a decent datasheet that
describes its internal registers.

/Ruben

Ruben Jönsson
AB Liros Electronic