atmel debugWIRE - anything similar coming from uChip?

atmel debugWIRE - anything similar coming from uChip?

Phil B-2
I've been looking at the AVR Tiny line and Atmel has
come up with a really nice concept - debugWIRE.  Its
basically a single pin debug interface - they use the
reset pin (equiv of mclr/).   This seems like a great
way to get in-circuit debugging support into low pin
count packages.  No need for special and pricey header
chips like microchip does.  every new tiny supports
debugWIRE.  I guess the downside is that the jtagice
mkII costs $300.

Is microchip doing anything like this?  I'm seriously
considering bagging the 18 pin and smaller PICs for
Tinys.

Phil