learning about Coldfire Linux

Douglas, Jim (Jim)

What web sites / mailing lists would you recommend for running Linux on Coldfire.

I am using mfc5445x (with MMU).  Various features (such as CONFIG_PREEMPT, CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY, CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, CONFIG_HZ), seem to be less well supported for Coldfire than for Arm/PPC.  So, I want to tap into a community that knows about real time Linux for Coldfire.

--jim

[hidden email] Send a post to the list. [hidden email] Join the list. [hidden email] Join the list in digest mode. [hidden email] Leave the list.

Re: learning about Coldfire Linux

Markus Franke
Hi Jim,

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=0127260061033202A9
http://www.uclinux.org/ports/coldfire/

> I am using mfc5445x (with MMU).  Various features (such as
> CONFIG_PREEMPT, CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY, CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, CONFIG_HZ),
> seem to be less well supported for Coldfire than for Arm/PPC.  So, I
> want to tap into a community that knows about real time Linux for
> Coldfire.

Recently, a small patch has been released by Sebastian Siewior for
enabling CONFIG_PREEMPT on Coldfire Cpu's.

http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2008-April/046288.html

As far as I know there is no support for CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT on
m68knommu architecture.....at least that's what I figured out from the
patch itself.

Hope this helps,

Markus

---
[hidden email]     Leave the list.

RE: learning about Coldfire Linux

Douglas, Jim (Jim)

Thanks.  I had found the Freescale site, which seems to be pretty much
"Here is a BSP.  No promises, and no support".  The uclinux site does
not seem to be up any more.

> Recently, a small patch has been released by Sebastian Siewior for
> enabling CONFIG_PREEMPT on Coldfire Cpu's.

http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2008-April/046288.html

> As far as I know there is no support for CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT on
> m68knommu architecture.....at least that's what I figured out from the
> patch itself.
Looks interesting, but I do not think I would be up to porting it from
m68knommu --> m68k.

--jim

---
[hidden email]     Leave the list.

RE: learning about Coldfire Linux

Markus Franke
Zitat von "Douglas, Jim (Jim)" <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks.  I had found the Freescale site, which seems to be pretty much
> "Here is a BSP.  No promises, and no support".

Well, as per my experiences the Freescale support is quite good. I had
some contact to Freescale regarding its BSP and I got quite useful
help always within 1 day.

> The uclinux site does not seem to be up any more.

Hmmm....works for me.

> Looks interesting, but I do not think I would be up to porting it from
> m68knommu --> m68k.

I think there should be no difference for this patch between m68k and
m68knommu. It's mainly the interrupt/syscall return path which is
being modified.

Regards,
Markus

---
[hidden email]              Send a post to the list.
[hidden email]        Join the list.
[hidden email]    Join the list in digest mode.
[hidden email]     Leave the list.

Re: learning about Coldfire Linux

Shee
Hi Jim,

I am also trying to port linux rt in linux 2.6.25 bsp for Coldfire MCF5485.Please help me in this regard.

Shee

Markus Franke wrote
Hi Jim,

coldfire@wildrice.com              Send a post to the list.